Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 1/12/2006 9:38:47 AM EDT

Could a lawyer or policeman give me their thoughts on Ohio Revised Code 2923.122(A), "No person shall knowingly convey, or attempt to convey, a deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance into a school safety zone."

Does this apply to weapons that never leave the vehicle?

I work for a school district and would like to shoot at lunch or after work.  No "don't tell 'em you got it" comments please.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:45:28 AM EDT
[#1]
If the school is your destination.... don't do it.  If your path from point a to point b takes you through a school zone, not a problem.  But I was told that even to just drop off or pick up you kid, you'd be best to leave it at home.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:15:51 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
If the school is your destination.... don't do it.  If your path from point a to point b takes you through a school zone, not a problem.  But I was told that even to just drop off or pick up you kid, you'd be best to leave it at home.

if u have a ccw, and u have it on you, u can be on the "grounds" 2 pick up your kids, u kust cant go in the building..

if u work there, and u lock it in the car, it kosher with the ohio reg's, but your employer my not like it..

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:24:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I would really like to see ORC. pertaining to that, Ring.  I dont think you can spport that . Page 10 and 11 of the Ohio Concealed carry Law booklet provided by the attorney generals office , deals with these issues in plain language.  

School safety zones. Concealed handgun license holders must be especially cautious when entering school safety zones.
a school saftey zone consists of a school , school building, school premises, school activity and school bus. For the purposes of this statute, a school inclueds everything up to the property boundary. Under the law, an offense is within the vicinity of a school if it is committed within the property boundary or within 1,000 feet of the boundaries of any school premises.

The law generally forbids the carrying of a handgun in a school safety zone unless ALL of the following apply:

You do not enter a school building, premises , or activity;

You have a valid concealed carry license;

You are not otherwise in one of the forbidden places listed above and detailed in R.C. 2923.126(B);
You are acting in accordance with federal law regarding transport of firearms in school zones.

On page 12 Statutory Reference(s):  The final one is R.C. 2923.122(D)(3) provides for carring a concealed handgun within school safety zones in extremely limited circumstances.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top