Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2006 3:04:12 PM EDT
We have a saw mill on our farm and we cut most our on boards and posts that do not make contact with the ground. Right now we are building a small structure to the side of our carriage house that will expand our storage space for parts and paints and tools we use rarely (but still need).

I have cut about 400 feet of Walnut also on this machine for gun stocks and about 40 1" slabs for 45 grips...so there is the gun relate portion of the thread.

Just figure I would share since some of you have been down to shoot and most of you have never seen the rest of the farm.

If any of you, locally, need anything sawn up and can bring it down, let me know, we can work out a good deal, 'specially considering the price (and quality of lumber these days).

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:10:54 PM EDT
That's some nice looking lumber. How about 100,000 board feet of clear poplar?
What are they building next door? Looks like a major project.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:56:10 PM EDT
Hook a brutha up!

Do you ever slab off any turning blanks? I'm looking for some hardwood blanks to chuck up in my lathe and turn.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:39:54 PM EDT
Yep, turning blanks would be cool. Need some here too, especially dry, sized for small bowls and projects!! MournSword
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:11:11 PM EDT
MMMMMMMM, WOOD.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:26:55 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ArmdCtzn:

100, 000? Ummm, sure let me get right on that...
Hehehehe...

Are you taking about the crane and steel? That would be Cinergy's drop off point to build spans and then transport them down to the Miami Fort power plant. Its a temporary thing and they were cool when Lance and Denny and I shot down in the pit last time.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:30:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By illigb:
Hook a brutha up!

Do you ever slab off any turning blanks? I'm looking for some hardwood blanks to chuck up in my lathe and turn.

I do not turn wood, nor does my old man. BUT, that's not to say that I could not cut a slab or six for someone that wants to turn some.

The only hard woods I have right now are walnut and maybe some oak. Not too sure on the oak, I'd have to check. I have lots of board feet of both and some cherry...maybe a little poplar, but no big slabs (except in walnut).
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:29:02 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Duranda1:

Originally Posted By ArmdCtzn:

100, 000? Ummm, sure let me get right on that...
Hehehehe...

Are you taking about the crane and steel? That would be Cinergy's drop off point to build spans and then transport them down to the Miami Fort power plant. Its a temporary thing and they were cool when Lance and Denny and I shot down in the pit last time.

Ok that's good. I thought maybe they were getting ready to build a Mega Day Care, Vegetarian Market, and Starbuck's, and knew we would be totally screwed!

You guys looking for wood. I have 3/4" thick by about 6" wide pieces, random lengths under about 3' or so. I also have long pieces that could be used for turning blanks, but you would have to square them up, and they will be less than 1 1/2" square. I get small amounts of larger squares in short lengths, not much. This is all kiln dried, No. 1 FAS or Better grade, Poplar, Maple and Red Oak. Nice stuff. Let me know if this is what you're looking for. Pudwak we could work out a great trade on a vac!! If any of you guys are going to be up at Miller's next weekend I could bring some for you if I can get up there.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:34:54 AM EDT
Now there is an idea...

I could bring a couple pieces of walnut up. Large pieces. You would need to trim them to use though. It would be 4"x9"x70"! Lot of blanks in there depending on what size you need for turning...

2.5 years barn dried, not gun stock dry but probably good enough for turning...about 14% moisture right now...
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:22:39 PM EDT
I'd like a little peice of nice looking wood to try my fist pistol grip project.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:11:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Pudwak:
I'd like a little peice of nice looking wood to try my fist pistol grip project.

Can do.

Will you be attending the shoot at Miller's Jan 21st?

If so, I can bring a couple 1" thick piece "slabs" cut JUST FOR pistol grips...
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:52:48 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Duranda1:
Now there is an idea...

I could bring a couple pieces of walnut up. Large pieces. You would need to trim them to use though. It would be 4"x9"x70"! Lot of blanks in there depending on what size you need for turning...

2.5 years barn dried, not gun stock dry but probably good enough for turning...about 14% moisture right now...

IM me with details. I am interested.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:18:15 AM EDT

I bet I have some maple that would make neat pistol grips.
I'll bring a couple pieces.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:24:30 AM EDT
I'll be there.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:44:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/13/2006 2:46:24 PM EDT by Duranda1]

I'll be there.

I'll be up there around Noon. I'll have a black Ford Explorer with an NRA, terrorist hunting permit, and scottish sticker on the back.

I should be relatively close by...but I am a social whore...
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:47:03 PM EDT
In the tradition of rec.woodworking, you suck!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:52:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By illigb:
I'm looking for some hardwood blanks to chuck up in my lathe and turn.

Ever try turning green? I took a green-wood bowl class at the local Woodcraft. The length of shaving you can generate is amazing.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Top Top