Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2005 6:40:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2005 6:40:54 PM EDT by soccermike7]
These are the cities which have medical schools that i have applied to in ohio

not that this can be the deciding factor but if by luck i get in anywhere (or a few schools) this would possibly influence my decision.

what i want. to be able to keep my 2005 SEBR (no ban) in my apartment with 30 rnd mags (i'll settle for 20rounders) and a pistol for the CCW i have yet to get.

1. Toledo
2. Columbus
3. Dayton
4. Cleveland
5. Athens
6. Cincinnati

i know packing.org has some of the gun laws for these cities, but if anyone knows of a site (or ar15 topic) that summarizes these into a coherent paragraph, let me know.

edit: basically i'm looking for info from people living in these cities on what they can/ can not do. thanks
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:48:21 PM EDT
It most cases just get an apartment in outlaying townships and you can avoid the laws. That is what I'm doing when I move to Cinci for UC.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:02:28 PM EDT
you seem to have them listed from worst to best. but I would favor athens over cincinati.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:19:07 PM EDT
Is Athens a city? LOL

Yeah, your order is pretty much worst to least.

As somebody already pointed out, just make sure wherever you live it's outside the city limits.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:44:50 AM EDT
Toledo sucks but Maumee or Perrysburg are pretty close to MUO. Just live in one of the surrounding suburbs. MUO is a couple minutes down the road from Maumee. T-town is small enough that living in Perrysburg, Maumee, Monclova twp, Holland, Sylvania, etc. would only be a 10-20 minute drive to campus.

You could easily find something reasonably close (20min. or less) to The Big Farm in the Columbus suburbs.

Depending on where school is in Cleveland (Case Western?), I'd think that city would be the hardest to find affordable/suitable living conditions near campus and still be allowed to keep your guns legally.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:10:00 AM EDT
If you are you to CWRU/CCF for med school, there are plenty of places to live within a 10-15 minute commute of campus that are firearms friendly. Most of my friends that are in med/dental/grad school don't live inside Cleveland city.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:38:58 AM EDT
I would agree with that list.

I sent you a PM.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:43:40 AM EDT
Engineer, what areas are you talking about? I may be moving to the west side of Cleveland and I'm checking out decent places to live, preferably not terribly expensive.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:07:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By splanchnic:
Engineer, what areas are you talking about? I may be moving to the west side of Cleveland and I'm checking out decent places to live, preferably not terribly expensive.

How far west?

Elyria and Lorain are pretty cheap, as is North Ridgeville.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:29:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By soccermike7:

not that this can be the deciding factor but if by luck i get in anywhere (or a few schools) this would possibly influence my decision.

what i want. to be able to keep my 2005 SEBR (no ban) in my apartment with 30 rnd mags (i'll settle for 20rounders) and a pistol for the CCW i have yet to get.

1. Toledo
2. Columbus
3. Dayton
4. Cleveland
5. Athens
6. Cincinnati

i know packing.org has some of the gun laws for these cities, but if anyone knows of a site (or ar15 topic) that summarizes these into a coherent paragraph, let me know.

edit: basically i'm looking for info from people living in these cities on what they can/ can not do. thanks

Can't speak for the others, but Athens has no gun control laws that I can find. I just searched the Athens City revised code (see www.athenscitylawdirector.com and found nothing other than discharging a firearm within city limits.

You're SEBR would be GTG here. Heck, I'm having mine delivered to the local shop here in town and I bought my first AR15 there as well (with all the evil features, including 30rd magazines).
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:17:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By illigb:

Originally Posted By splanchnic:

How far west?

Elyria and Lorain are pretty cheap, as is North Ridgeville.

Bob is probably your west side guru since he lives out there, but the question is the same - are you looking to commute to Cleveland for work? I have a friend that works at Case and commutes from as far out west as Avon.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:23:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By FlyingLead:

Originally Posted By soccermike7:

1. Toledo
2. Columbus
3. Dayton
4. Cleveland
5. Athens
6. Cincinnati

Can't speak for the others, but Athens has no gun control laws that I can find. I just searched the Athens City revised code (see www.athenscitylawdirector.com and found nothing other than discharging a firearm within city limits.

You're SEBR would be GTG here. Heck, I'm having mine delivered to the local shop here in town and I bought my first AR15 there as well (with all the evil features, including 30rd magazines).

I think he might have meant Akron?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:15:11 PM EDT
Whats wrong with NEOUCOM www.neoucom.edu located in the sleepy village of Rootstown, Ohio in Portage County. No liberal gun control laws there.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:53:44 PM EDT
I'm looking at working at Metro. I need to be fairly close.

NEOCOM may be a good choice. I'm assuming you already have a degree in which case you would be a "non-traditional" student by their system. I've worked with many of their grads, they were all sharp.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:04:19 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Sukebe:
Whats wrong with NEOUCOM www.neoucom.edu located in the sleepy village of Rootstown, Ohio in Portage County. No liberal gun control laws there.

nothing, i have applied there as well. i just hadnt heard of any bad stuff in that area (and i wasnt sure what 'city' it was in)

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:22:47 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:54:34 AM EDT
This is a simple rank:

1) Athens

2) The rest....

All the other cities have Assault WEAPONS STYLE BANS of some sort or another...with Columbus at the bottom...
Page Hometown » Ohio
Top Top