Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 12/21/2005 5:50:32 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:23:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I heard about this several years ago from another dealer.  I cant see where it is your responsibility to determine if they have the Toledo card.  It should be the buyers responsibility to obtain all neccessary documents prior to purchasing.  Your doing your end by preforming the NICS call in. But as usual, Toledo thinks they are some high and mighty entity, when all they are is a one horse town.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:35:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:33:59 AM EDT
[#3]
So should I feel better that I live in Bowling Green, and not Toledo?  
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:44:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Is Gander Mountain in Toledo,? or is that considered Springfield Twp.  What about the schmuck further down Airport hwy?  I would call both of them, tell them your a toledo resident and want to buy a handgun.  See what they say you need to bring
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:44:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Mailing addresses do not form the legal boundaries of any municipality.  My mailing address is in Troy, but I physically live in Concord Township and I know NO Troy ordinance applies to me here.  The Miami County Sheriff has jurisdiction here, and Concord Township plows the roads.

You are under NO obligation to obey Toledo ordinances in Sylvannia.  It is your buyers' responsibility, not yours, to follow Toledo law.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:20:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Steve,

I have thought about this some more.  I cant see how Toledo can enforce a law that is outside of their jurisdiction.  

Lets say I am a Toledo resident.  I drive to Columbus for the day for business.  During my lunchbreak, I swing into Vance's and buy a new handgun.  Do you think Vances is going to refuse my purchase because I dont have a Toledo firearms card?  I highly doubt it.  Is Toledo going to call Vances and inform them they cant sell handguns to Toledo residents?  Nope, and Vances would tell them to pound sand anyways.  

If they say you cant sell handguns to Toledo residents, then they have to tell the whole state.  And thats not gonna happen.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:51:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:22:49 AM EDT
[#8]
F#@!in' Toledo.

God, I hate that place.

Yeah, I don't see WHY that'd be YOUR problem, either (ESPECIALLY if they don't live in Toledo). Let us know what the criminals lawyers say on this, as I'm sure we'd all be interested.

I almost bought a house in Toledo years ago. Man, am I EVER glad I didn't. Most everything I own would be illegal. And they wonder why they have a "brain-drain". It couldn't be because of a shitty local economy AND stupid laws, now could it? Naw, of course not!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:20:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Steve talk to I think his name is Ted at Reloaders One Stop in Northwood. He had Toledo tell him the same thing and his A.T.F. field agent happened to be there for his annual visit when he recived the call so he just put the agent on the phone. Toledo cannot impose itself on your legal commercial activitys. How many Gun shops are in Toledo city limits right now ?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:15:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:03:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:28:59 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Steve talk to I think his name is Ted at Reloaders One Stop in Northwood. He had Toledo tell him the same thing and his A.T.F. field agent happened to be there for his annual visit when he recived the call so he just put the agent on the phone. Toledo cannot impose itself on your legal commercial activitys. How many Gun shops are in Toledo city limits right now ?

Yeah, Ted Forney I believe.

Heck of a nice guy.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:55:18 AM EDT
[#13]
i was the MGR of a gun shop 15min S of cleveland.. cleve says they have to reg. all there guns and no "banned" guns..
we sold them what ever thay asked for..

if we arnt in cleve, it fall under the "not my problem" law :)

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:37:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Bumpin' this for more "hive" ideas / discussion

Live outside but have Toledo mail address.  ADCO also outside Toledo

WTFO?????

no different that Dayton shop and Columbus law!!!!!!!!!!

Steve, this is a huge concern to me,
Ryan H
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:47:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:51:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Sounds good to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See ya soon
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:37:24 PM EDT
[#17]
For grins one might request a letter from the Toledo's law department, any answer on their part is damming  to their position.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:50:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Uh.... I bought some AR15 parts when I lived in Columbus.  You should send me some "hush-optics".

Seriously, are they trying to make is so no one wants to voluntarily put of with the hassle of owing a gun shop?  I wish you the best.  You guys deserve it.

You seem like the perfect example of the argument we heard when the gun manufacturer liability bill was being passed... "if we sue all the manufacturers out of the US, where will the military get its weapons?"  Don't you supply a shitload of parts and optics to the gulf region?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:46:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Support Buckeye Firearms Association and their endorsed HB 347.  If we can pass that bill, the problem will disappear.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:37:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:39:42 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

i was the MGR of a gun shop 15min S of cleveland..
Yeah, Route 82 is 15 miles from Public Square!

-- Chuck

B&T in middleburg hts..
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top