Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 11/23/2005 5:47:52 AM EDT
Hey guys, I need some help here.  I have one hell of a promotional oportunity here...  I currently live SW of Toledo but the promotion is in Wapak.  We are opening a new office there and they need a manager.  I'm looking real good for that right now...  I have to live w/in 45 miles of Wapakonetta.  

What kind of shooting ranges are in the area?  I'm currently a member at Sandusky County Sportsmans in Gibsonburg.  They are pretty cool there and let you shoot all kinds of toys.  They have  100/250/500 yd. ranges.  Would I be ahead to just drive the distance (1.5hrs?) back there if I moved?

What else should I know about the area?

I currently commute back to Licking/Knox county to do lots of groundhog hunting in the summer months, and I'm deer hunting down in Noble Co. next week.  I'm origionally a Central Ohioan.  The Wife is from North Central Ohio, so we're moving further away from her family if we do this...  

Decisions Decisions...  

ETA:  What communities are nice to live in around there and have a conservative local gov't. and lower taxes?
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 8:04:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Off topic of what you are asking, where in Licking do you groundhog hunt? I live here in Licking county and have been looking for a place to groundhog hunt. I dont know the farmers or who to even ask about the farm fields around me.

Thanks,
Bryan
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 1:36:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Check out the Lima Sabres Shooting Association as one possible range.  I've shot their twice, but living in Westerville, I don't get there too often.  Lima Sabres

You'll be in my old stomping grounds ... but I left 33 years ago. :)

--
Mike
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 2:52:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Off topic of what you are asking, where in Licking do you groundhog hunt? I live here in Licking county and have been looking for a place to groundhog hunt. I dont know the farmers or who to even ask about the farm fields around me.

Thanks,
Bryan

One of my best friends leases some land to farm and we go there.  
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 4:01:18 PM EDT
[#4]
WaterSniper,

Santa stopped by the house in a Big Brown Truck today.

Email Sent
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 1:43:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Watersniper, I used to belong to Sabres, some of the people were great, but some were a little "uppity" too.  I shoot now at Black Swamp in Delphos, shoot whatever you want there, nobody has ever given me any kind of grief.  Membership is pretty cheap, don't remember what right now, but I've been a member for over 20 years.

Arlington used to have a range called Eagle Creek.  I really liked it, but quit going when the owner was going through a divorce.  He told me he was probably going to lose the range and shop in the divorce, but don't know for sure if it's still around or not.

Local Sheriff is Pro-CCW (Allen County).  Don't know what else I can tell you.  Lima has a gun show 1st weekend of most months, lot of guns there - some ok deals but usually nothing too fantastic.  I usually buy maybe one gun a year at the Lima shows.  Pick up a lot of smaller items though.

Any specific questions - feel free to message me.  MournSword
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 4:49:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I to am a member at  Black Swamp in Delphos. Great guys to get along with.
Also a member of the Van Wert Outdoorsman about 20 mins West of Lima.

both have a max range of 200 yards. You can get 300 out at the Outdoorsman if no one elsa is around. You have to shoot past the range house.

no problems shooting NFA weapons on eather range
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 5:26:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I to am a member at  Black Swamp in Delphos. Great guys to get along with.
Also a member of the Van Wert Outdoorsman about 20 mins West of Lima.

both have a max range of 200 yards. You can get 300 out at the Outdoorsman if no one elsa is around. You have to shoot past the range house.

no problems shooting NFA weapons on eather range

This is encouraging!  We'll see what the "interview" holds in a couple weeks.  I may be allowed to  commute for a while, or I may have to move ASAP.  It sucks though because we just bought 6.25 acres on the Portage river this past year.  We were planning on building there.  Of course a back yard range was already in the plans...
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 6:01:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Sabres in lima, IMO is a nice range but the rules suck.. I now shoot at the Ada Club it is a mound of dirt and that is it always fun to shoot no one is ever there..
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 8:19:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I probably should go to the range in Ada, but I go to the one down in Logan Co., just north of Bellefontaine. The best time to shoot there is during the winter, or on weekdays, since it seems like the entire rest of the time, the duck hunters have their shotguns out there missing clay pigeons. Of course, if you like busting clays with a rifle like I do, that just means lots of free targets.

Stav, you ever go to the range over there by MuckTucky (McGuffey)? Some people told me its a pretty decent range, but I've never bothered to go there.
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 3:23:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Is that the hog creek club? Never been to it..

The Ada is cheap at 20 per year.  I mean no one is ever there. I think you can shoot to 200 yards or so but it is not marked.
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 8:58:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I think its called the McGuffey Conservation Club or something like that. I'm pretty sure there is a sign for it right along SR 309 if you're headed east.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:59:08 PM EDT
[#12]
The interview was today.  Don't worry guys, I won't be gracing your presence any time soon  

At least I'm still gainfully employed.

ETA:  I was told by one of the interview pannel members that I'm well respected in the organization, but that I didn't "sell" myself enough!  WTF?  She was on lunch break and I was waiting around for my buddy to finish his last portion of the interview...
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:00:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Sabre's isn't bad, but I prefer the Cairo sportsmens club which is just north of Lima.  I shoot with a couple guys at Black swamp too.  All good places.  It is true about the rules at Sabre's.  They blow.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top