Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 11/26/2003 11:28:52 AM EDT
I'm currently on leave in WI. On my way home, i plan to visit a friend at Kent in OH. I went home for deer hunting, so i do have 3 rifles, 1 shotgun and a 1911 in my vehicle. Obviously i can't drive on campus, or near it. However, are there any goofy ohio laws i need to worry about? From the little looking i've done, there is no peaceable  journey and no preemption. That seems like a bit shit sandwich waiting for me to eat.

Need i be worried? The two places i will be stopping is Newcomerstown and Kent. Any local bs to worry about?

Thanks for all the help. I know the 50 questions bit gets old quick.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 11:45:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Locked in the trunk, unloaded, ammo separate if possible and you should be ok.  The cops in Kent will get a bit anal as this is a college town.  A few are recreational shooter, but most are not.  If an SUV or station wagon, guns in lockable cases.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 12:00:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Pickup truck. Longarms are kept in back. I have a cap on back that is always locked, however individual cases are not locked. Mossberg 590, Garand, M1A, and SP1. 1911 is normally in case behind drivers seat. Ammo is always kep separate, i.e. not in case.

Do the individual cases need to be locked?
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 3:37:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Of course you can drive on campus, but only on the roads.  Kent State University is not a "school."  Heck, there's some doubt it's a university!  

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 5:22:53 PM EDT
[#4]
If the case is in the cab it must be separately locked.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 8:00:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Definitely lock what is in the cab, or easy reach. Among all the rules, no quick access or assembly of a working weapon from the passenger area is the guideline.

Enjoy sweet potato fries with your burger at Rays, or the burritos at Taco Tontos are great tasty bargains in The Loft down the block.

And between Ntown and Kent is ammunitionstore.com, just a few blocks from exit 111 on I77 N Canton.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 9:14:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I'll definitly have to check that out. My friend is from Ohio, and i've never been there. Should be interesting. Thanks for all the info!
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 9:15:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't forget Ray's chili washed down with a futhermucker.  16 years since graduation and I can still taste them.  MMMMMM
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 2:26:22 PM EDT
[#8]
You can drive on college campuses as long as the firearm stays in the vehicle. Just keep the guns either unloaded in plain sight or in the trunk. They can be loaded as long as they are in a compartment that is not accesible without leaving the vehicle, ie trunk or pickup bed.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 2:57:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Interesting... i always thought firearms on schools/colleges were a no-no. Firearms will be in the back of my truck, with the cap locked. not individually locked, but the rear will be locked.

Does this mean i cna stop or even park on campus, or jsut pass through?
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top