Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2003 8:37:05 PM EDT
Since HB12 requires 12 hours of training where can I get it. I've only found one place that provides it and I wuold like to have a list so that I and others can find a good place near them to recieve this training. It would also be nice if it wasn't too expensive. I would rather not spend $150 on some useless training. I would really prefer if I could just take the stupid tests and move on.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 9:49:24 PM EDT
[#1]
The only place that I know of around here that was offering a class is B&T Shooting Supplies at their range store in Elyria.  I don't remember how much it was or if they are still running them though.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 3:42:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I would think that SCSA or any of the the other local sportsman clubs will offer training.  A good friend of mine is an NRA cetrified instructor, and he is a member at SCSA, NOSC, and a couple of other clubs.

NorthCoast out in Sheffield probably will offer something.

Once the CCW becomes a reality, the training void will be filled.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 4:09:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Only the signed version of the law will have the training requirements and who approves them.  Any course you take now may not count.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 4:14:22 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Since HB12 requires 12 hours of training where can I get it. I've only found one place that provides it and I wuold like to have a list so that I and others can find a good place near them to recieve this training. It would also be nice if it wasn't too expensive. I would rather not spend $150 on some useless training. I would really prefer if I could just take the stupid tests and move on.

I concur that requring 'training' before 'allowing' us to exercise our constitutional rights is BS.

However, if you have a good instructor, and approach it with an open mind, the training is invaluable.

I had to take a class back in '93 before I could get my CCW permit in Wyoming.
I went into the class thinking that I knew it all, and that is was a sheer waste of time and money.
Well, I learned A LOT, and I don't regret the experience.

If nothing else, you shoud gain a better understanding of the various liability issues that all firearms owners, and CCW in particular, face.

I think that my WY certificate should meet the requirements for HB 12, should it pass. But I think that I'll sign up for another course anyway.
If nothing else, I'll meet some local gun owners and maybe make some new friends.

Link Posted: 11/13/2003 4:20:10 PM EDT
[#5]
At present noone is offering such a course quite simply because that until the law is passed, noone will know what standards are going to be acceptable and what sort of certifications the trainers will have to have in order for the course to be considered acceptable.  Suffice it to say that the only people getting a CCW out of the gate will likely be LEOs and licensed security gaurds who have had OPOTA approved training.  The rest will have to wait for training to be approved and implemented.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 6:00:55 PM EDT
[#6]
http://www.mvlet.com/ they offer a ccw course they are close to Dayton
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 7:22:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Well I pretty much understand most of the personal protection liability stuff, and the fact that if I EVER use it my a$$ will be in a fire pretty much no matter what the circumstances are.
The curent bill has the requirements alredy spelled out. And that is NOT a point of contention so the conference comitte isn't even discussing it.

Shotar www.targething.com has classes already that are specifically designed to meet the HB12 criteria. I was just hoping for more choices before I made a decission. I am not satisfied by anything until i'm sure I got the best for my money, and thats hard to do without more than one choice.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 8:39:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't count on anything in an unapproved bill making it into law.  

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 10:35:35 AM EDT
[#9]
GC, Chucks thoughts are mine exactly. Until this becomes law, all bets are off and my guess is that there will be no grandfather clause for unapproved training, and the only currently approved training curriculum with the State's seal of approval are those for cops, security gaurds, and perhaps the Ohio military reserve, and national guard, but I'm not even sure about the latter two.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top