Link Posted: 9/24/2003 7:13:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Dammit!

What a shitburger...
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 7:23:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 7:33:22 AM EDT
[#4]
In general this means that those who were holding out for Vermont style lack of restrictions are going to continue waiting forever.  The rest of us should hope our legislators reach a reasonable compromise and come up with a law that we can live with.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 8:02:30 AM EDT
[#5]
11:30 a.m. Statement from Ohioans For Concealed Carry:

We are disappointed that the Ohio Supreme Court has failed on this issue and
abridged this fundamental right of Ohioans for a third time in this state's
history.

The court has contradicted itself by saying that citizens may exercise this
fundamental right by carrying openly without concerns for public safety,
but that wearing a concealed firearm is somehow unsafe to society as a whole
and must be regulated by our legislature.

There is no logic in the majority's ruling.

As dissenting Justice Maureen O'Connor pointed out, the law today "is as
offensive as a statute allowing the arrest of anyone who speaks in public,
but permitting the speaker to prove at trial that the speech was
constitutionally protected".

It is incumbent upon Ohio Senate President Doug White to stop his
obstruction of House Bill 12, appoint conferees, and send a bill to Gov.
Taft's desk.

Ohioans For Concealed Carry was a co-plaintiff in this lawsuit, and is Ohio'
s largest grassroots organization focused solely on restoring Ohioans' right
to bear arms for self-defense.  A more detailed response will be issued
after we have had time to study the entire ruling.

Un-fucking believeable.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 9:57:28 AM EDT
[#6]
the link has moved here:
i will be interested to see what klein says. i hope he can do something else with the argument. the lower courts will also have to deal with it again, according to the article: 'The justices sent the case back to the appeals court for it to clarify its ruling based on the high court's decision Wednesday.' since the appeals court unanimously said it was unconstitutional, i wonder how they are going to change their ruling.
remember the 'justices' that voted politically here at election time: Paul Pfeifer, terrence odonnel, alice resnik, tom moyer, frank sweeney.

Maureen O'Connor and Evelyn Lundberg Stratton dissented - saying the 'affirmative defense' is unconstitutional.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 2:09:38 PM EDT
[#7]
No matter what, these chicken shits will NOT do the right thing. Fuck em and feed em beans.

Link Posted: 9/24/2003 2:21:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I think this is bad news.  I really thought they would side the other way.

Now the legeslature has no "push" behind them to pass a law that the Supreme Court already says there is no legal right to.

I think were're screwed boys.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 5:28:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Well we should ALL start carrying openly. It's not illegal. And hopefully it will make a few soccer moms cry.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 5:03:12 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Well we should ALL start carrying openly. It's not illegal. And hopefully it will make a few soccer moms cry.

...and get you disarmed at gunpoint.  "Inciting panic", "Disturbing the peace", etc.  The weapon will probably be confiscated, and it may "disappear" from the evidence locker.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 6:19:10 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
...and get you disarmed at gunpoint.  "Inciting panic", "Disturbing the peace", etc.  The weapon will probably be confiscated, and it may "disappear" from the evidence locker.

So what?

The other options are be a good victim, or a felon.

Link Posted: 9/25/2003 6:40:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 6:43:13 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So what?

The other options are be a good victim, or a felon.

C'mon.  If you carry openly, you will arrested for something, right, Shotar?  Can you afford to be arrested every day you carry?  I would imagine it's guaranteed that you lose the gun involved, at least temporarily.  Can you afford to lose a gun every day you carry?  Of course, the "good victim" option is unviable also, that leaves the "potential felon" option.  If it's really "concealed", the odds are pretty good that you will never be arrested for CCW.  Just don't do something dumb enough to justify a patdown.

In any case, it's a crappy choice to make, and I'm glad I'm leaving OH, especially after the recent Supreme Court ruling.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 1:03:39 PM EDT
[#14]
"There is no constitutional right to bear concealed weapons."

There's also no specific constitutional right to publish articles over the internet.  I think this guy needs to be punished for breaking a law.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 1:22:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 1:45:43 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
WTH do they think is the definition of the word "bear"?

From the dumb-fvck liberal dictionary:

People (n) :  The National Guard.

Bear (v) : To carry an unloaded weapon while duck hunting.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 1:50:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Sorry to hear this OHins.
As a MD'er feeling your pain I was rooting for ya.

If you think about the CC Vs. Open Carry is really lame.

What if your carrying at night time? No one can see the gun, therefor is it concealed?
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 1:58:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Yet another state I won't be moving too.....
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 3:24:54 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Sorry to hear this OHins.

What if your carrying at night time? No one can see the gun, therefor is it concealed?

The police actually tried this once. I think it was Columbus of all places.  I think the guy got off, it has been a while since this happened, I don't remember the details.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top