Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 9/14/2003 11:47:26 AM EDT
From my NRA-ILA alerts:

MISSOURI OVERRIDES GOVERNOR`S VETO OF RIGHT TO CARRY BILL!

On September 11, the Missouri Senate joined the House in voting to override Governor Bob Holden`s veto of HB 349, making the "Show Me State" the nation`s 36th state to pass a fair, non-discretionary Right to Carry (RTC) law. The veto of HB 349 was overridden in the House by a vote of 115 to 39. The vote in the Senate was 23 to 10. This marks only the seventh time in Missouri history that legislators have successfully overturned a governor`s veto. Missouri joins Colorado, New Mexico, and Minnesota as the fourth state this year to pass a "shall issue" RTC law.

"The National Rifle Association would like to thank representatives and senators who voted for the override. They recognize the right of law-abiding Missourians to carry a firearm for protection," said NRA-ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox. "According to research, firearms are used more than 2 million times each year in self-defense, and studies have shown that states that have Right to Carry laws experience significantly less crime. Governor Holden`s indifference on the issue of self-defense and the right of Missourians to protect themselves and their loved ones outside of the home was careless. The big winners today are the law-abiding citizens who will reap the benefit of this Right to Carry law," added Cox. "The streets of Missouri just became safer for everyone, except criminals."

There was overwhelming bipartisan support in the Missouri legislature for a Right to Carry law. On behalf of law-abiding gun owners throughout Missouri, NRA would like to recognize the support and hard work of Rep. Larry Crawford (R-117), Rep. Frank Barnitz (D-150), Sen. Harold Caskey (D-31), and Sen. Peter Kinder (R-27). As always, the grassroots effort and political activism by tens of thousands of NRA members across the state played a pivotal role in this process.

And Missourians can celebrate an additional victory this week as both the Senate and House voted overwhelmingly to override Gov. Holden`s veto of Reckless Lawsuit Preemption (SB 13).

NRA-ILA congratulates you on these victories and thanks you for a job well done.

Could the same thing happen here?
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 12:36:20 PM EDT
[#1]
It should have happened already. Damn politians keep dragging their chicken shit asses.

[rant on] Bob Taft says there is a budget surplus of 650 million. Six months later we're in debt 1 billion. F***ing crook. [rant off]

Last I heard chicken shit Taft said he would not sign it unless the State Troopers endorsed it.

Link Posted: 9/14/2003 2:51:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, right!  We could only wish.

No one in this state has any guts.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 3:21:32 PM EDT
[#3]
It certainly could happen, but I'm more inclined to think a reasonable compromise will be reached before hand.  In either event, its no skin off Taft's nose since he has to sit out a term before running again anyway.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 6:33:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Yah, reasonable compromise. To who? Oops I forgot, Bob is only in it for himself.

When it comes to pols, it's hard for me not to be cynical. Sorry.

Link Posted: 9/15/2003 10:44:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Could it happen here?  Sure, we need to put pressure on our lawmakers.  Surf on over to www.ohioccw.org and join Ohioans For Concealed Carry.  We need your help. Even Wolfey can afford the $20 per year membership.  We are a 100% volunteer organization, and rely on memberships to fund our efforts.  

Collin
Teamleader, OFCC
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top