Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2003 7:26:17 PM EDT
I live about an hour from Camp Perry and I'd like to check it out this year. I need some input from you guys.

First - Are spectators allowed, or is this a shooters-only event? Then, assuming that I can get in, what day is best to go?

I have a schedule and it looks like the high-power matches are 8/11-8/14, and the long-range matches are 8/15-8/18.

I mainly want to check out the vendor displays, but is there anything else that I need to make sure that I see?

Thanks in advance for any info/suggestions.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 11:03:18 AM EDT
[#1]
You can go anytime.  Commercial Row closes at 8pm or so? in the evening.

August 9th is the John C. Garand Match.  I will be there that day, along with 1500 other shooters.

You can check out the matches, but back at the ready line.  Only shooters and scorers are allowed on the line.

Go and be a volunteer.  I worked the pits a few days last year.  It was a great time.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 11:24:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 12:37:31 PM EDT
[#3]
If its raining over the lake, I will go, if not, its boating season.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 7:21:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 7:42:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 8:36:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Alrighty, I'm contemplating the drive to Port Clinton this weekend.  For those that have gone - how is Commercial Row?  Are there deals to be had or is it more to oogle the toys brought by various manufacturers?

Link Posted: 8/7/2003 4:36:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 9:02:41 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Alrighty, I'm contemplating the drive to Port Clinton this weekend.  For those that have gone - how is Commercial Row?  Are there deals to be had or is it more to oogle the toys brought by various manufacturers?

Springfield Armory had some great deals on pistols last year.  I would have bought one, but a NM Armalite was already following me home, if you know what I mean...  
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 6:07:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks to everyone for your replies.  I'm going to take a day off on Monday and head for Pt. Clinton. Has to be more fun than another day at work!
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 6:53:18 AM EDT
[#10]
I think I'm gonna try to drive out tomorrow and see what things are like.  Does anybody know what the hours are for the vendors in commercial row?
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 2:38:17 PM EDT
[#11]
how far is it from Cleveland?
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 5:06:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Port Clinton is only 75 miles from Cleveland. Probably 1-1/2 or 2 hours straight across Route #2.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 3:20:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Got up this morning with nothing much to do, so after introducing shotar to the wonder known as Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black to touch up some "mild scratches" on his receiver, I decided to take a drive out to Perry.

The trip was only 75 miles and went smoothly except for one section near Port Clinton where they closed down the left lane of westbound Route 2 for no apparent reason.

After getting onto the grounds and parking, I walked around, did some shopping and then observed some of the shooting.  Commercial Row was pretty nice and I picked up a few goodies.  Prices were decent to good, though nothing that couldn't be had by going to the local gun shows.  However, I did save a bunch in shipping charges by picking up some mounts and rails from Bushmaster and Rock River Arms.

Here are some pics I took.  It was definitely worth the drive out to see what the vendors had and to see some really good shooters in action.

Link Posted: 8/9/2003 3:31:08 PM EDT
[#14]
SWEET PICS!

Thanks Engineer.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 5:07:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Now I'm disappointed I didn't go.  We did have a good few hours at the range though, Ah well, I might have bought something and I'm saving my funds for ammo.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 7:10:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Once again, I had plans made for me!

I missed bulletfest, and now this!
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 7:54:54 PM EDT
[#17]
It's not too late. The matches run for another ten days or so.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 1:45:13 PM EDT
[#18]
So engineer, what did you buy me. with all your $$$$$$$$, it should be something nice....
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 4:04:38 PM EDT
[#19]
I had a great time yesterday.  Managed to spend twice what I'd budgeted, but I got some GREAT deals from the various vendors.

Only bummer was that Rock River Arms left early, they had most of their stuff up packed up before I got to their store. DAMN!

On the bright side, I got some AWESOME deals from Armalite. Visited with them for about 30 minutes, they are as excited about the SEBR as we are. Really nice folks there.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 6:00:18 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
So engineer, what did you buy me. with all your $$$$$$$$, it should be something nice....

Hahaha, I wish - after lunch, I'm broke!  I ended up gettingt a Bushmaster extended rail, a Rock River Arms scope mount, a couple of A1 length buttstock screws and a new buffer tube.  I'll definitely have to save up for the matches next year.  What'd you end up with Slash?
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 7:04:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Armalite M-15 stripped upper/lower set - $180
Armalite AR-10 (Blem) upper/lower set - $60
Fulton Armory .22LR SS bull barrel - $125
Sherluk AR-15 (Blem) stripped A2 upper - $50
Plus a bunch of miscellaneous goodies from Bushmaster, Champion Supply, DPMS, Sinclair, etc.

Edited to add - I only wish that I'd had more time - and much more CA$H!!!
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 5:12:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top