Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 6/16/2003 4:30:41 PM EDT
...For Pennsylvania! PA is a "shall issue" state. All I had to do was fill out an application, photocopy my drivers license, send a check for $20, and whammo, I got it!

I also included a passport photo. It makes the ID look more official. (Although it is not required...)

Here is the link to packing.org:

www.packing.org/state/stateinfo_history.jsp?name=process&state=39

For some reason, the Sheriffs office website is down...

county.centreconnect.org/211.htm
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 5:54:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Great idea!  That means you can carry in PA, KY, IN and MI but not OH, DOH!!!

I may have to get one of these!
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 6:29:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Here's a pipe dream for you:

Someday, Ohio passes CCW...

...AND they accept PA CCW license holders!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 6:32:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Better to on a vacation so you can use it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 2:00:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm gonna have to get one too.  Why not?  I travel to those states a couple times out of the year.  Sounds worth it.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 4:16:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'm gonna have to get one too.  Why not?  I travel to those states a couple times out of the year.  Sounds worth it.  

My gf lives in Pittsburgh, so I am there just about every weekend.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 4:20:12 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Here's a pipe dream for you:

Someday, Ohio passes CCW...

...AND they accept PA CCW license holders!!!!!!!

This seems like a possiblity, since all sttes that surround us now accept each other's CCW permits.

Get this done quick!

-Photocopy of drivers license.
-$20 check
-Form from this website. county.centreconnect.org/211.htm
-Passport photo (Not required, but it makes the ID look more official...
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 7:17:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Seems like a good idea.  Anyone know if Tn accepts PA's liscense, or WV for that matter as well. Given Mugs location I'm sure he's there frequently as well.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 8:19:06 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Seems like a good idea.  Anyone know if Tn accepts PA's liscense, or WV for that matter as well. Given Mugs location I'm sure he's there frequently as well.

States that honor this state's permits:
 State Resident/Non-resident1 Date Updtd Note
Alaska Non-resident permits ok 2003-02-07 http://www.dps.state.ak.us/ast/achp/index.htm  
Florida Resident permits only 2003-03-13 http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/index.html  
Georgia Non-resident permits ok 2003-02-06 http://www.ganet.org/ago/press/press.cgi?prfile=PR  
Idaho Non-resident permits ok 2003-02-13 http://www.packing.org/state/index.jsp/idaho  
Indiana Non-resident permits ok 2003-02-07 http://www.in.gov/isp/faq/index.html  
Kentucky Non-resident permits ok 2003-03-13 http://www.kentuckystatepolice.org/conceal.htm  
Michigan Resident permits only 2003-02-24 http://www.michigan.gov/ag  
Minnesota   2003-05-31 http://www.packing.org/state/index.jsp/minnesota  
Montana Non-resident permits ok 2003-02-07 http://www.doj.state.mt.us/enforcement/default.asp  
Utah Non-resident permits ok 2003-02-06 http://bci.utah.gov/CFP/CFPFAQ/FAQOther.html  
Wyoming Non-resident permits ok 2003-02-06 http://attorneygeneral.state.wy.us/dci/CWP.html  
This is not guarenteed, but it's been verified by someone who works for www.packing.org.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 1:02:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Sounds good .... what reasons did you check off, Mugzilla?
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 2:13:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
My gf lives in Pittsburgh, so I am there just about every weekend.

Mine lives in Harrisburg. I'm gonna have to look into this. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 7:07:50 AM EDT
[#11]
This seems like a good idea, I am doing it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 2:50:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Check "Self Defense".

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:19:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Very cool. I'm in.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:40:25 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Check "Self Defense".

-- Chuck

Bingo. It even states on my CCW card "Self Defense"

Hopefully, Ohio (If they DO pass CC) will accept out of state permit holders...
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 3:38:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Unless deleted or modified in the Senate version, the current Ohio CCW bill recognizes all other state CCW permits.  No reciprocal language.  No "resident of other state" language.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 6:29:33 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Unless deleted or modified in the Senate version, the current Ohio CCW bill recognizes all other state CCW permits.  No reciprocal language.  No "resident of other state" language.

-- Chuck

Thanks, Sir!

Now they just need to iron out this CCW in avehicle B.S. and maybe we actually get this bill moving...
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 9:57:41 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Check "Self Defense".

-- Chuck

Bingo. It even states on my CCW card "Self Defense"

Alrighty, the check is in the mail .... how long did it take for them to turn around your application?
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 7:00:46 PM EDT
[#18]
I sent mine today. Now it's like a kid waiting until christmas.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 6:03:13 AM EDT
[#19]
I sent mine on the 16th when this post started...I received my permit today the 26th.  Very quick turn around time.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:40:01 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

This is a pipe dream.  Don't think for one second that your resident state is gonna issue you a resident CCW permit based on the fact that you have another state's non-resident permit.  Apples and Oranges.

Scott
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 12:29:17 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is a pipe dream.  Don't think for one second that your resident state is gonna issue you a resident CCW permit based on the fact that you have another state's non-resident permit.  Apples and Oranges.

Scott

Ohio MAY become a stste that ACCEPTS out-of-state CCW licences! Once Ohio has it's own licensing scheme in place, PA will no longer issue CCW to Ohioans.

Good point though Scott. I should have phrased that differently...
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 3:41:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Just read this thread, and have mail outgoing. Thanks for info.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 2:01:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Got mine in the mail today! What's left now is to sign all of the copies and return it to them.  Mugzilla - have you gotten your forms back the second time?  Is the turnaround just as quick?
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 3:29:19 PM EDT
[#24]
5-6 days tops. Must have laminated it and mailed it SAME DAY.

They are on the ball in PA w/ CC. Yes, they laminate it for you.

Remember, there are a pile of states that accept OTHER states CC licenses....
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 5:13:45 PM EDT
[#25]
sent my app early last week. can't wait. engineer said there was paperwork to be signed and returned before i get the actual permit? what is this round of signatures for?
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 5:34:47 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
sent my app early last week. can't wait. engineer said there was paperwork to be signed and returned before i get the actual permit? what is this round of signatures for?

AK-kb,

They send you three copies of this form:

and then you sign each one (line 15) and mail it back to them.  My guess is now they'll laminate it, send it back to me, and I'll be good to go!
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 6:32:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 8:21:59 PM EDT
[#28]
MickeyMouse - I see that the FL nonresident permit is accepted in more places than the PA permit.  The FL permit does require more hoops and most places around here were pretty clueless when I told them I wanted to take a training class for getting my FL permit.  The $117 fee is kinda hard to stomach too (at least compared to the PA fee).
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 3:51:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 7:18:22 PM EDT
[#30]
thanks engineer, guess i'm gonna have to get a passport photo. I think it will look better with one.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 8:16:49 PM EDT
[#31]
I got a Florida non-resident permit also,Passport Photo,fingerprint cards and training certification along with the application.It's good in 20 states,but not Virginia or North Carolina.Virginia permit was a little easier(no photo required)and also lasts 5 years for $50(I think).Local(Va.) Sheriff's Department wanted to know what I needed the fingerprint card for and when I said a Florida permit,they said they didn't provide that service and suggested that I go to Florida to get the print card done.Rather than argue with them,I just left and went to the nearest Virginia State Police Headquarters to get the print card done for $5.The State Police Sgt. said the Sheriff's Dept. was wrong and they should have done the print cart and that I should have told them that.I said sure and get cuffed and stuffed or if I was lucky just tossed out the door.Most leo's don't take instruction very well.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 12:11:46 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
thanks engineer, guess i'm gonna have to get a passport photo. I think it will look better with one.

The photo is not needed. When they shrink the signed form, they photocopy it,... WITH THE PHOTO attached to it! I thought a photo on my ID would snaz it up also, but the photocopied photo looks dumb.

Also, the shadows from my earlobes on my CCW ID make it look like I am wearing earrings. (It's not my bag, baby.)
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 7:51:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Pretty quick turnaround.  I just sent mine in a week or so ago and already got the full-sized permit to sign and send back.  The bottom two copies are carbons of the top.  Did you guys sign them individually or just the top copy?

Pretty sweet!

Thanks Mugs!
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 8:47:18 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Pretty quick turnaround.  I just sent mine in a week or so ago and already got the full-sized permit to sign and send back.  The bottom two copies are carbons of the top.  Did you guys sign them individually or just the top copy?

Pretty sweet!

Thanks Mugs!

I signed each one separately - just make sure you sign the top two copies with some backing or else your signature will transfer over (learn from my experience).
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 11:17:40 AM EDT
[#35]
My wife and I both got them. And I carried legal in all the states that honored it on vacation. I'm still waiting to hear about reprocity in N.C. The Gov just signed the law and it was scheduled to take effect Aug 15th. two days after I left to come back from vacation.
Hessian-1 out!
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 12:16:38 PM EDT
[#36]
I got mine a few weeks ago and you are right they look like crap. They look almost fake. I wonder if you scanned it in color and shrunk it down and had it laminated would it be illegal? I did it to mine in color but haven't replaced the original. Any thoughts on this? It just looks more official/authentic in color.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 4:38:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Hey, thanks for the tip, Mugzilla!  I just got mine back.  Total turnaround time of 3 weeks from when I sent in the application!

And a big thank you to Sheriff Denny Nau!  This means I can carry in NC when visiting my GF.  They don't issue non-resident permits, but they do honor PA permits.
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 9:17:43 AM EDT
[#38]
I would like to say thanks Guy's
I have been lurking on this topic for sometime now, thanks for all the info,
I just got permit! About a 3 week turnaround.
Thanks.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top