Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 6/4/2003 9:04:33 AM EDT
Guys,

I'm seriously considering taking a position with a company that has offices east of Cleveland.

I will be looking to get me a small place in the country about a one hour commute from say 77 and 410. Nothing elaborate just out enough and big enough to be able to store my boat on the property. If I could shoot of course that would be nice.

I would appreaciate recommendations for location and any input on prices etc.

I know it will be higher than here for example, I will most likely sell my house 2,800 sq/ft 4 bedroom brick for around $150K. Is it possible to get into a small frame farm house and say five acres for the same? I know for the money I can get a hell of a farm in say Guernsey or Pike counties which is the other side of the state.

Any input at all will be appreaciated.

Tj
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 9:14:51 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 9:17:18 AM EDT
Cincy/Dayton here.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 2:26:09 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TheRicker:
Do you value the "rights" (privileges) that you have in TN? CCW is still up in the air, and the anti attitude, in genereal, around all these yanks isn't very comforting.

As for your specific questions on price, area...I'm in NW OH. East of Cleveland isn't all that familiar to me. Any of our eastern brothers out there?

Thanks, this will be a rough decision for me but I man needs to follow the money sometimes.

I don't plan on selling my house here and hope to return someday. I'd say no more than three years or so. I lived in Cleveland before when they passed the AWB which was anything with a mag ban so I don't want to live in the City.

I have family and many friends in the area. Shit, I have friends all over the country so location in regards to friendship doesn't mean that much to me anymore. I guess you can say I'm mobile.

Do appreaciate the heads up though.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 3:07:35 PM EDT
Within one hour of I77 and I think you mean 480 you have many possibilities. You could go to the Medina/wayne co areas. Some areas still cheap. Summit co is too expensive and anything in Cuyahoga is out of the question for cost v room to breath. Portage co is a possibility as is perhaps Ashtabula although that would be a tough commute in the winter. Geauga co is also very expensive anymore. To the south Stark co is reachable with some reasonable prices. Other considerations, what size boat and what lake do you intend to use it on? Best bet is to get with a good local realtor and see what is available. Lorain co could also work for you.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:31:22 PM EDT
My boat is a 25' cruiser which should work fine on Erie but it's my understanding marina space is at a premium and I will have to get on a waiting list. On the other hand, it's still small enough for some of the smaller lakes.

I'm familliar with many of the counties you mention. Kind of scares me some, since the prices are quite high compared to here.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:53:03 PM EDT
Lorain county would be at least a 1/2 hour commute, one way, good conditions.
East of Cleveland gets the lake effect snow.
I'm on E-49th as we speak, so to speak, but live in Lorain county.
Working mornings from the west side is rough with the sun in your eyes.
TJ, here's an informative website that may help you---> www.cleveland.com it has real estate listings, chat rooms, local happenings and a police scanner too.
Someday, maybe, we can all make some noise together.
I never met a dead president before...cool!
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:00:31 PM EDT
Tom:

There is room in our Marina, Mentor Lagoons, as well as several others in the area. Downtown space is at a premium. WOrst case dock in Sandusky or Port Clinton, always marina space there. http://www.Cleveland.com will also have marina listings under dockage in the classifieds. You will not need to get on a waiting list, just shop around marinas. Our place is actually offering a year round rack storage deal for like $950. You should be able to find something in the $150ish range.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:00:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/4/2003 6:06:00 PM EDT by TomJefferson]
Thanks guys!

My wife made me sell my motorcycle when I upgraded from my cuddy to the cruiser so the only things I have left are guns, guitars, boat, and camping. I wouldn't care to give any of them up.

If I do make the move, I look forward to the Ohio Power Authority again. I still have a 17 trailer, deer camp, down that way.

Hunting, camping, hiking, fishing, and Lake Erie cruising/fishing are on my list and I haven't met an AR15.comer yet that wasn't welcome to tag along.

The guitar is for winters but this time I will own a snow mobile for sure.

My family is freaking for we are pretty established here.

You guys look me up at Bulletfest.

Keep posting suggestions.......I'm starting to lean a little..........

Catch this thread in the am.

Tj

btw, Shotar, I'm paying $200/month now but have power, water, and a private pump out. It's a 30' slot. Most around here go for $180 to $230 for the same size no pump out except community pump out. Pump out availabilitty is a must for we spend many nights on the boat.

The rack storage you mentions, my boat is 6,300# dry weight and has 20 gal fresh & sewage and a 65 gallon tank but is only 8.5' wide and is tall. Too much?
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:16:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/5/2003 6:25:07 AM EDT by shotar]
Should fit for rack storage. For dock space I pay $1500/yr that includes electric, no water and pumpout is at a service dock. its not bad though, well protected harbor, but there is a waiting list for the slips with water. I have a 26 with 9 1/2 foot beam. Good luck and see you at BF.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:19:34 PM EDT
I grew up North of the area you're talking about, in a town called Painesville. It's right up on the lake. There's a great coutry kinda town next to it called Leroy. You could probably find something like your looking for there fairly easily. The only thing is the commute might be a stretch depending on your job location. Leroy is located off I-90 30 miles East of Cleveland. You would have to commute I-90 West to I-271 South to I-480 to I-77. Might be worth it if you don't mind the ride. It's good people in that town. Let me know how your search goes, and if you need some more help.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 10:01:50 PM EDT
Hey Tom, just get your butt over here!!!!!We'll find you a place to live!!! Generally the farther east of Cleveland, the cheaper the real estate. Eastern Geauga Co isn't too bad. If you look in Summit Co (Where I live) you're halfway between Cleveland and Akron/Canton. You can check out the Portage Lakes for your boat. Lake Erie can get pretty wild for a boat your size. If you make the move I can guarantee one thing, you'll have plenty of friends here to go shooting with. Also, if you get another bike, the riding is beautiful out towards PA, and down south in Holmes co.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 4:37:05 AM EDT
BigJ,

The company location is actually off 271 just south of 480 so that is a direction and in the commute range I would be willing to go.

mmsig,

Around the Portage Lake areas is what I originally had in mind. I lived in North Royalton before and was a bit concerned the prices would be high that close to Cleveland.

Do appreaciate the encouragement and yes I look forward to shooting with you guys.

I catch a flight at 6AM tomorrow for my interview but I've known these people for about 10 years so I expect an offer.

Tj
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 4:44:05 AM EDT
I'm in Olmsted Township... far west side, but still in Cuyahoga county.

Lorain County has some good real estate prices... You would be making the 480 commute every morning.

I used to work at a company in Solon, and for almost 4 years I drove 480. It generally moves pretty good.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:58:14 AM EDT
If you want to see the Marina while in town I would be glad to show you. This should be a boating weekend weather permitting. IM me if time permits.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:32:11 AM EDT
Portage Lakes are high rent areas! And nowhere near where you'll be working.

If you want some open space from the Solon area you'll have to go east into the area near Bainbridge, Newbury, Mantua.

North Royalton - Broadview Hts - Brecksville have houses "starting in the $250s" and not much less expensive. Brecksville-Broadview Hts schools are the best in the state, though.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 8:54:33 PM EDT
If you want to drive an hour (boy, that's a long commute in Cleveland)--check out rural Geauga county. Geauga cty. is on the east side of cleveland. It does not get much more country around here than Middlefield or Troy township. Lots of Amish and good hunting a fishing. Come to think of it, there is a little town in Northern Trumbull County called Farmingtion that a lot of us on this board drive through frequently on the way to the state rifle range. We could stop and say hi.

My point is you don't have to drive nearly an hour to get to real country in NE Ohio. Take a drive out Rt. 422 (intersects with 480 and 271 and you hit country in 20 minutes or so.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 9:14:24 PM EDT
Hey Chuck...best schools in the Cleveland area would be Hudson, Orange, Brecksville, Solon, and Chagrin.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 4:22:31 AM EDT
Guys,

The interview went very well. I really think they will extend an offer.

I guess I better get real serious about this.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:30:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/7/2003 7:35:35 AM EDT by Sukebe]
The land prices surrounding the Cleveland area are high. The reason is that folks who work there don't want to live there so they do what you are trying to do. A decent house on 5 acres within a one hour commute to Cleveland for the price you are asking is almost out of the question. You may find something suitable for a bit more in Geauga, Lake or Ashtabula Counties. All have rural areas and excellent hunting. My pick would be Ashtabula county. Consider Northern Portage County as well. All of them will have winters like you have probably never experienced. They are in what is called locally as "The Snow Belt" I'm in Stark County, about an hour or so south of that area. Often there will be no snow on the ground here and snow literally up to your ass in Ashtabula County.

You may need to hire a Real Estate agent in the area. Perhaps the company can help you. Ohio isn't so bad. C3 is easy to get except around Toledo I hear. CCW is probably just around the corner. Like any state, if you want to live where the population centers are, the cost of living is going to be higher. The average 2,000 Sq. foot home on a suburban lot (less than 1/2 acre) goes for about $175,000.00
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:48:22 AM EDT
Also when the time comes I can hook you up with a reputable Realtor and Mortgagte banker. Both are old friends and have a reputation of treating my referrals well. BTW, It looks like our dock neighbor may not be coming back this year. That leaves a Prime 30 foot dock with electric open. It is probably the second best dock on the Great lakes, if only we had city water. I have the first best. Well, now that I think about it, his may be better.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:27:41 PM EDT
All I can say is don't move to where I work.. it's going to hell in a hand basket..it really freaks me out sometimes that I can drive down the road 6 miles and be in the 'hood.

Summit County, where I live used to be nice but it is well on its way to becoming like Cuyahoga County..out were I live use to be mostly country, everyone had 2-5 acre yards...now it's cluster homes and condos. Too many yuppies. Too many yuppie stores too....The upper half of Summit County is wayyy too crowded and yes the property prices are way too high...the taxes are still okay though compared to most parts of Cuyahoga County..plus Summit doesn't have that F##King Rita tax....

A lot of Portage County to the east is very nice still... Too bad's its out of my radius or I would move there. There are lots of lakes out that way too.

Can't say much about Lorain County.. don't go out that way much unless it's to LCI...from what I see from the highway it looks pretty nice.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 7:44:07 AM EDT
Hmmmm..I live in Summit Co and I pay RITA......
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 8:48:29 AM EDT
OK guys, what's RITA?

Link Posted: 6/8/2003 9:13:36 AM EDT
Regional Income Tax Agency

It's a consortium that collects local income taxes in lieu of the individual municipalities.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 9:38:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/8/2003 9:42:19 AM EDT by anothergene]
Oh yes, RITA. I think it was called Regional Income Tax AUTHORITY and they toned it down.
Rita sucks!
I think it started years ago when Cleveland stopped giving tax credits to people who live outside the city.
The smaller cities, faced with no income, started this farce to squeeze money from the unsuspecting sheep.
Instead of protesting, they paid it and it caught on.
You may want to check townships and villages who haven't bought into this scam...yet.
Rita goes all the way to Vermillion, many miles from where this cancer started.
They are talking RITA here and my city tax went up 1/2% already.
When they first started out wanting money from me, I said I never heard of you and slammed the phone down...
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 1:03:58 PM EDT
perhaps I should make things clear...

My township does not do RITA... where I work in Maple Hts (county of Cuyahoga) I pay into RITA..

A lot of villages do RITA too..
If you move into a Township then you can usually shoot too if you have enough property and your neighbors are decent..definitely not the case in many villages and all cities
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 4:57:05 AM EDT
Sorry, can you tell RITA hit a nerve with me?
I also knew a lady that when she found out about RITA, she owed 9 years back taxes!
I think RITA's offices are in Brecksville, so for me, it would be a LD phone call or a long drive, just to get screwed.
Cleveland, the city proper, uses CCA, another blood sucking, trumped up "official" agency.
If you live in Cleveland and work in Cleveland, the taxes are payroll deducted for you...but you still have to file, even though you owe nothing or else you get fined! I think that was started about 20 years ago or so, much to the dismay of Cleveland residents.
How soon people forget, nonetheless a good thing to check on before finalizing any deals.
2% of your income adds up, year after year, to go out the window.
Sheffield village, for example, has no city tax but is being built up so fast, I think any plinking will become frowned upon very soon.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 7:42:15 AM EDT
Man! I just got back from a week in Butler TN. Don't do it TJ!

I live in a southeast suburb of Cleveland (Maple Heights), and right about at the intersection of those interstates you mention. An hour away can get you somewhere, but if you mean an hour during drive time, you will have to be much closer.

Hey....I'll trade ya. You can live in my suburban hell and I'll take your place in TN...

Ok, I'll quit dreaming!
But boy oh boy did I enjoy the beauty of Tennessee!
Scott
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 2:19:16 PM EDT
Hey Scottsman ..soo Maple Hts is now a suburban hell..eh ?

BTY the way Maple Hts has one of the WORST school districts in the state. During the last teacher's strike not one but two photographs appeared in area papers of students holding Mis-spelled signs of support...

Well I have been called a before.....

Scottsman...BTY the way I will have a cruiser assignment for this month if you are scanning.. I'll be 4425 which will be a two man unit.. only thing we will be on nights though....
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 8:02:29 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MHPDblue:
Hey Scottsman ..soo Maple Hts is now a suburban hell..eh ?

At least. Maybe it's "urban hell."

BY the way Maple Hts has one of the WORST school districts in the state. During the last teacher's strike not one but two photographs appeared in area papers of students holding Mis-spelled signs of support...

Saw those! And yeah, I know all about the schools, but we homeschool...

Scottsman...BY the way I will have a cruiser assignment for this month if you are scanning.. I'll be 4425 which will be a two man unit.. only thing we will be on nights though....

Cool! I'll be listening for ya! Be careful!
Scott
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:56:32 AM EDT
mmsig229 --

Make that: ...best schools in the Cleveland area would be Hudson, Orange, Brecksville-Broadview Heights [the name of the district for probably 30 years], Solon, and Chagrin. Hudson is really Akron, but is fine.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 4:58:10 AM EDT
Chuck, I think Hudson identifies more with Cleveland , than Akron. Wasn't Hudson ranked #1 by Cleveland magazine as the best suburb of Cleveland???!!!As for Brecksville-Broadview Hts, that's like saying Cleveland Hts-University Hts, who says that???!!!Isn't it about time Broadview Hts got their own school system??Their population has far surpassed Brecksville, at least that's what my in laws tell me, who have kids in that school system.....
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 2:18:42 PM EDT
They asked for references today so it's coming down the wire.

Keep posting guys.

Tj
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 2:34:50 PM EDT
Just wondering, what is the nature of the position? Also there will be room in our Marina if you are interested. At 25' you could even rack store for pretty cheap and still have the ammenities for the weekends.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:42:38 PM EDT
The position is a VP position or I wouldn't consider moving. I keep my boat in the water year round down here.

I'm definately interested in your marina. I prefer a slip but until I can get one will take what I can get. I like to keep my batteries charged and fridge on. We typically keep her stocked so we can go out at anytime and spend the night or longer. Sometimes we go out at night (I like night cruisin) and have gotten use to not having to call ahead.

Tj
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 4:10:58 PM EDT
There should be slips available and I'm with you, ready on a moments notice. I tend to like to leave the Air conditioner running given what I pay for electric. That being said, you will of course need to do business with me once you arrive and settle in.

Mentor is the best harbor in the metro area. Fully protected no currents.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 4:52:24 PM EDT
LOL, you must have gotten to know me for I'm one hell of a customer my middle name is repeat.

Link Posted: 6/13/2003 11:15:51 AM EDT

Originally Posted By shotar:
There should be slips available and I'm with you, ready on a moments notice. I tend to like to leave the Air conditioner running given what I pay for electric. That being said, you will of course need to do business with me once you arrive and settle in.

Mentor is the best harbor in the metro area. Fully protected no currents.

Fairport Harbor is not too shabby either. Some friends of the family dock there, but I think it's kinda pricey. But, then again, so is the boating industry.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 12:53:48 PM EDT
Fairport is not bad, only downside is the long trip upriver to dock or at the other marina the lack of protection from the open waters. We've looked at all the marinas.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 2:43:43 PM EDT
hey, what's wrong with the Mentor Yacht Club?????
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 9:25:56 PM EDT
If your new job is around 271-480 the new 422 gives you alot of options east. Sooner or later it will get widened all the way.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 6:45:43 AM EDT
Another surprise...E-check.
Most metro Ohio counties inspect vehicles for pollution, cost $20, before you can get plates.
Not a big deal, just a heads up.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 6:57:50 AM EDT
Bill, IM with your e-mail address.
I will send you active properties (via e-mail) that are on the market. Let me know what areas you want. I am an agent – not looking for your business; just wanting to help you get familiar with Northeastern Ohio.
I am sure your new company will set you up with a relocation realtor. Until that time, let me know how I can help.
Also, if you could pick-up the June issue of Cleveland Magazine “Rating the Suburbs” it would help with many of your questions. There are great statistics regarding schools, taxes, crime & more within 65 communities. Good Luck!
Page Hometown » Ohio
Top Top