Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Tacked Places to shoot in Ohio (Page 6 of 9)
Page / 9
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 7:42:41 AM EDT
[#1]
has anyone shot at tranquility... its ran by odnr in either adams or brown county...
Link Posted: 1/6/2010 12:49:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Decent range with about 6 benches for 25 yds and 6 others for 100 yards. Target area at 100 can be a swamp and the acess road is terrible.
Link Posted: 1/22/2010 12:07:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Neppo1345] [#3]
Alright, headed home from college tomorrow and was looking to do some shooting (AR, Hangun, etc) between Youngstown and Cleveland...

I've been to A&A...........but is there anywhere else between Clevo and Y-Town that I can shoot without getting hit by ricochets off TV's that idiots are shooting at the 30yd line (true story btw)?

How is the Grand River DNR range?

Really would like to shy away from memberships as I split my time between Cincinnati and Atlanta, GA...just going home to do some shooting with some friends.
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 11:45:09 AM EDT
[#4]
The Grand River ODNR range is a great place. Can't do any running and gunning/training but great place to sight in/plink away the afternoon. Check before you head out though, I was thinking they were closed Jan and Feb, but I'm not positive on that. Hope you get to do some shooting this weekend.
Link Posted: 1/25/2010 5:38:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By metalhd9034:
The Grand River ODNR range is a great place. Can't do any running and gunning/training but great place to sight in/plink away the afternoon. Check before you head out though, I was thinking they were closed Jan and Feb, but I'm not positive on that. Hope you get to do some shooting this weekend.

You wouldn't have a map or any directions to the range or the place where I can get a range permit??

I'm newish to Ohio ranges.   Have only done indoor pistol ranges in Ohio.  Would be nice to get out side with my new Ar.  How long is the range?
Link Posted: 2/1/2010 8:27:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AnimalM0ther] [#6]
I can't believe nobody from the Toledo area has mention Adam's Conservation Club.  http://www.adamsconservationclub.org/

The place has multiple ranges.  
Indoor pistol -  .22 or smaller
Outdoor pistol and plinking range
300 yrd rifle range
Skeet shooting range
Picnic area with fishing.

Not sure on the membership cost, but its not too bad.  I'm about to become a member, but my parents already are and I've been there.  Great place.
Link Posted: 2/6/2010 2:42:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By AnimalM0ther:
I can't believe nobody from the Toledo area has mention Adam's Conservation Club.  http://www.adamsconservationclub.org/

300 yrd rifle range
Skeet shooting range

Not sure on the membership cost, but its not too bad.  I'm about to become a member, but my parents already are and I've been there.  Great place.

I did not renew my membership there because:  
-The terrible guest policy got even worse.
-They asked for access to my credit reports.  I believe they changed their minds about this, but, WHY IN THE HELL would they even think of asking their members to sign something giving the club access to their credit reports?
-Got sick of unfriendly club big wigs being jerks.
Link Posted: 2/10/2010 2:10:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TargetBlaster] [#8]
Originally Posted By pistolpete:

300 yrd rifle range
Skeet shooting range

-They asked for access to my credit reports.  I believe they changed their minds about this, but, WHY IN THE HELL would they even think of asking their members to sign something giving the club access to their credit reports?

Some uninformed people just like to complain.  The credit report stuff has been explained at length and is NOT part of the process.  Short answer is it was something the attorney slipped in for liability waivers that is now removed from the process.   I've been a member for over 20 years and I've found almost everyone to be very friendly and helpful out at Adams.  No club is perfect but I can say it is a great club.    It is the biggest and most comprehensive club in this part of the state.  

Pete, If you are no longer a member at Adams, I think you and Adams are both better off.  

Link Posted: 2/10/2010 2:30:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By TargetBlaster:

300 yrd rifle range
Skeet shooting range

Some uninformed people just like to complain.  The credit report stuff has been explained at length and is NOT part of the process.  Short answer is it was something the attorney slipped in for liability waivers that is now removed from the process.   I've been a member for over 20 years and I've found almost everyone to be very friendly and helpful out at Adams.  No club is perfect but I can say it is a great club.    It is the biggest and most comprehensive club in this part of the state.  

Pete, If you are no longer a member at Adams, I think you and Adams are both better off.  

I was just sharing my experience.  Thanks for proving my point by being a jerk and making things personal.  Enjoy "your" club!

Link Posted: 2/10/2010 2:42:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TargetBlaster] [#10]

300 yrd rifle range
Skeet shooting range

I was just sharing my experience.  Thanks for proving my point by being a jerk and making things personal.  Enjoy "your" club!

It takes one to know one. I've seen some of your posts before and it seems like you have some sort of ax to grind against Adams.  I was just trying to point out if you are so unhappy, then find a club that you like and just let it go.
Link Posted: 2/10/2010 2:51:51 PM EDT
[#11]

300 yrd rifle range
Skeet shooting range

It takes one to know one. I've seen some of your posts before and it seems like you have some sort of ax to grind against Adams.  I was just trying to point out if you are so unhappy, then find a club that you like and just let it go.

Checkmate...

Link Posted: 2/11/2010 7:32:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quick question Target.  Does Adam's take kindly to "Black Rifles?"
Link Posted: 2/12/2010 4:20:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TargetBlaster] [#13]
Very Black Rifle Friendly. Range goes out to 200 yards and have matches at least once a month during fall and winter as well as some specialty matches occasionally. Our club has a lot of shooters who practice for and WIN medals at Camp Perry.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 4:03:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quick question Target.  Why the rule that you can only load 8 rounds into those "Black Rifles"?
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 12:48:09 PM EDT
[#15]
The rule is load no more than 8 rounds in ANY type of rifle on the rifle range. When a lot of places are going to single shot for the rifle range, my guess is that the 8 round rule was to ensure that the Black rifle shooters were accomodated since the rules to their matches shoot no more than 8 rounds before requiring a reload.
Like I said, very Black Rifle Friendly.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 9:28:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 9:31:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bigbore] [#17]
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 9:04:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By bigbore:

I have one of those medals. Shot on the Adams team and we took 2nd in the Master Class in the Rumbold a few years ago. Not sure what that has to do with carbine shooting?

My point was that some top shooters think it is friendly enough that they can practice and train and win at Camp Perry by shooting there. I shoot black rifles too and I have no idea what a "Mozambique" or "El Presidente" Drill is but apparently that is important to you and your style of shooting.  

If you like specialty type shoots, that is Sandusky"s niche.  

For the general all around shooter,  there is no club in the area that offers more of a broad variety of types of shooting or has a better location than Adams. That is Adams niche.

I currently belong to 3 clubs (with Adams and Sandusky being two of them).   I can tell you things I like and dislike about all three. Each club is a decent club but the trick is to find the club that is right for YOU and what you are interested in.  

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:39:23 PM EDT
[#19]
is there any ranges within a hour or 2 of dayton with about 300+ yards?
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 7:08:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 7:54:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By CurtisLR:
is there any ranges within a hour or 2 of dayton with about 300+ yards?

Lima

what is it called?
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 8:13:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 1:18:26 AM EDT
[#23]
www.limasabres.com

thank you. the place looks great. i dont really know anyone from lima or that belongs there. how should i go about finding a sponser?
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 11:13:31 AM EDT
[#24]
www.limasabres.com

thank you. the place looks great. i dont really know anyone from lima or that belongs there. how should i go about finding a sponser?

Curtis, I would just contact them and tell them your situation.  In some of the gun clubs I've belonged to in the past, the sponsor was just the name of the person who took your money  or the sponsor was nice but optional.  In other clubs, the sponsor was someone that you had to know and have vouch for you.   If  you need to know somebody and they have shoots/events open to non-members, go to them and talk to the people and you'll find a sponsor that way.
Link Posted: 3/12/2010 12:29:54 PM EDT
[#25]
www.limasabres.com

Curtis, I would just contact them and tell them your situation.  In some of the gun clubs I've belonged to in the past, the sponsor was just the name of the person who took your money  or the sponsor was nice but optional.  In other clubs, the sponsor was someone that you had to know and have vouch for you.   If  you need to know somebody and they have shoots/events open to non-members, go to them and talk to the people and you'll find a sponsor that way.

thank you, i will try that. i think if i get a chance to b.s. with some people from there i could get someone to take a chance on me. they are black rifle friendly right?
Link Posted: 3/14/2010 8:00:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Any suggestions on pistol ranges on the west side of Cleveland (Avon Lake, Avon, N. Ridgeville) that are friendly.  Just moved to the area and looking for a place to shoot.
Link Posted: 4/3/2010 9:15:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By eyefly:
Any suggestions on pistol ranges on the west side of Cleveland (Avon Lake, Avon, N. Ridgeville) that are friendly.  Just moved to the area and looking for a place to shoot.

ditto
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 12:45:12 AM EDT
[#28]
How about the Youngstown area?  The American Range in Austintown is a good pistol/.22 rifle range, and the Grand River ODNR range is a great slow-fire range, but that's my problem.  I haven't shot my WASR or my Saiga 12 basically since I got them, because I haven't found any public outdoor rapid fire ranges.
Link Posted: 4/11/2010 12:10:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Hey guys.  I just got out of the army and moved back home.  I'm in Brookville, right in between Dayton and the Indiana border.  I'm having trouble finding an outdoor range.  I'm looking for a place that goes up to at least 100y and allows ARs and other bits that some ranges seem to dislike you shooting.  If it was a club that did IDPA/USPSA and such, and allowed rapid fire and targets other than paper that would be a huge bonus.  If they want slow fire paper targets only however, I can deal with that.

There's an indoor range in Vandalia that I've been to a few times, and although it's nice, the rifle range is fixed 100y and in a basement.  Not exactly a good place to shoot for a long amount of time.
Link Posted: 4/11/2010 1:33:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Gooch11B:
Hey guys.  I just got out of the army and moved back home.  I'm in Brookville, right in between Dayton and the Indiana border.  I'm having trouble finding an outdoor range.  I'm looking for a place that goes up to at least 100y and allows ARs and other bits that some ranges seem to dislike you shooting.  If it was a club that did IDPA/USPSA and such, and allowed rapid fire and targets other than paper that would be a huge bonus.  If they want slow fire paper targets only however, I can deal with that.

There's an indoor range in Vandalia that I've been to a few times, and although it's nice, the rifle range is fixed 100y and in a basement.  Not exactly a good place to shoot for a long amount of time.

Gooch, have you checked out these places?  

Miami Valley Shooting Grounds
Spring Valley Shooting Range

Spring Valley is an ODNR range, i has plenty of 100yd stations, a 50yd range, a 25yd pistol range, archery range, and shotgun range (throw your own clay).  Only thing is you must purchase either a "day pass", which is $5, or a year pass, which is like $25 - have to get it at walmart, discount drug mart, and probably any deer check station might sell them..

if you are looking the USPSA route, I think Miamisburg Sprotsmans Club does this (not sure if you have to be a member or not to participate)?
Link Posted: 4/11/2010 2:23:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks!  I will be checking these out.  The on in Vandalia looks really nice.
Link Posted: 4/29/2010 1:52:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By themistocles3:
A&A shooting range, 20 miles east of Chagrin Falls on Fenstermaker Rd. off of 422.  Go right on Fenstermaker and go 1 mile.  250, 100, and 50 yard ranges open on weekends.   Five-Stand on Thursday nights under the lights and all day on Sat and Sundays.  A little on the expensive side at about $6 per round/hour but if you only get out once every other month or so it aint half bad.  He has memberships available but I havent bothered to look into it heavily.

+1

Been their a few times, nice if its slow. No one bothers you or treats you like a child like some ranges ive been to. Well stocked gun/gear (ammo) shop and sometimes they have homemade chili in the clubhouse during the winter. Oh yea Nelsons Ledges Quarry park is real close to, I love that place.
Link Posted: 5/10/2010 10:09:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Angel_King] [#33]
For the people around Youngstown, there is an old quarry, just over the PA line by Lowellville off of E Wood st in Zombie Land . When on this road going east to PA take the Left fork up Erskine Quarry road. There a trail on the left side before New Castle Struthers road that goes down into some gravel pits. Then take a left at the clearing. Down there you can shoot at about 150 yards no problem.
Link Posted: 6/24/2010 11:41:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Yeah, I've been to that quarry before (not sure if I was at the same spot as you, but...) I was asked very politely to leave by the local P.D. I wasn't fined/ticketed but not sure I would do it again without being absolutely sure.
Link Posted: 6/25/2010 1:06:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Middletown Sportsmen Association http://www.middletownsportsmensclub.com/
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 11:00:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Does anyone know if the Miami valley shooting grounds is black rifle friendly and if they are are they rapid fire friendly

Cory
Link Posted: 7/16/2010 6:09:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By cory321:
Does anyone know if the Miami valley shooting grounds is black rifle friendly and if they are are they rapid fire friendly

Cory

I am pretty sure they can accomidate your needs. I havent shot there in a while but they are nor prejudice, all rifle colors welcom
Link Posted: 7/16/2010 7:45:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By zandyco:
I am pretty sure they can accomidate your needs. I havent shot there in a while but they are nor prejudice, all rifle colors welcome

Awesome Thanks
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 9:41:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Heartbreaker1373] [#39]
It is a HAUL from my house, but it's well worth the drive to the ODNR range in the Tranquility Wildlife Area. There's only a 25 and 100 yd range, maybe 10+/- benches, but it's unsupervised (i.e. no range nazis). Even on Sat or Sun mornings it's hardly ever crowded (think 10 people max), at least when I go about every couple of months.  I've never encountered any LEO, but neither have I ever had any issues with people either. It's way out in the country and nice and secluded (I grew up in Adams county, and I love it out there). I can't recommend this range enough!

Forgot to mention that it's FREE to the public. I believe the hours are sun up to sun down, IIRC.
Link Posted: 7/27/2010 4:56:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Just moved to Bowling Green and am looking for a good place to shoot.  Any ideas?
Link Posted: 7/28/2010 11:24:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By RVwannaB:
Just moved to Bowling Green and am looking for a good place to shoot.  Any ideas?

Depends on what you are into.

UCOA in Findlay I've heard is pretty good although I've never been there.  

If you want a full featured gun club,  Adams Conservation Club in Toledo is probably the most comprehensive club in the area -Trap & Skeet, 5 stand, Archery, 200 yard Rifle Range, 3 Pistol ranges, Lake for fishing and swimming,  indoor and other programs and leagues during the winter, Kids program, etc. and probably a couple more that I left out.  If you are into Shotgun, then Adams is your best bet––they have scheduled shotgun shooting 5 days a week.

If you like Indoor shooting, New Sportsmans Club in Woodville has a 50 ft indoor range and has 24X7 access.  The 24 hour access and being indoor is very unique.  You can shoot Pistol and rimfire rifle and archery.

If you are into a lot of the specialty type shoots Sandusky County Sportsmans in Gibsonburg has a lot of those plus a rifle range that goes out to 500 yards., They allow you to hunt there during hunting season. Never tried the hunting so I don't know how good or crowded it might be. You can also shoot the specialty shoots without having to be a member. You can shoot Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun and Achery.  They have a very cool cowboy action range.  They are probably best for Rifle, Pistol and specialty shoots.  The shotgun and archery is there but kind of weak.

All those ranges are about a half hour from you.  They all have pretty cheap dues, Adams is probably the most expensive of that group and Findlay I  think is probably the cheapest.   I've met some of the guys from Findlay at some of the shoots I've been to and they seem like pretty good guys.  I shoot at the other 3 ranges and they are all good people there too.  If it were me, I'd check them all out and see which one(s) you like the best.

Link Posted: 7/29/2010 11:49:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Went there to check it out a while back, got treated like I was 7, left.
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 1:35:58 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By RVwannaB:

Depends on what you are into.

UCOA in Findlay I've heard is pretty good although I've never been there.  

If you want a full featured gun club,  Adams Conservation Club in Toledo is probably the most comprehensive club in the area -Trap & Skeet, 5 stand, Archery, 200 yard Rifle Range, 3 Pistol ranges, Lake for fishing and swimming,  indoor and other programs and leagues during the winter, Kids program, etc. and probably a couple more that I left out.  If you are into Shotgun, then Adams is your best bet––they have scheduled shotgun shooting 5 days a week.

If you like Indoor shooting, New Sportsmans Club in Woodville has a 50 ft indoor range and has 24X7 access.  The 24 hour access and being indoor is very unique.  You can shoot Pistol and rimfire rifle and archery.

If you are into a lot of the specialty type shoots Sandusky County Sportsmans in Gibsonburg has a lot of those plus a rifle range that goes out to 500 yards., They allow you to hunt there during hunting season. Never tried the hunting so I don't know how good or crowded it might be. You can also shoot the specialty shoots without having to be a member. You can shoot Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun and Achery.  They have a very cool cowboy action range.  They are probably best for Rifle, Pistol and specialty shoots.  The shotgun and archery is there but kind of weak.

All those ranges are about a half hour from you.  They all have pretty cheap dues, Adams is probably the most expensive of that group and Findlay I  think is probably the cheapest.   I've met some of the guys from Findlay at some of the shoots I've been to and they seem like pretty good guys.  I shoot at the other 3 ranges and they are all good people there too.  If it were me, I'd check them all out and see which one(s) you like the best.

Thanks for the good info!  I like to shoot my AR & Garand...but I am looking to get serious about handgun shooting.  Oddly enough a buddy just told me about the club in Findlay, might check them out.   Adams Conservation Club might be a good option as well.  Thanks again!
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 1:36:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By fenderketchup:
Went there to check it out a while back, got treated like I was 7, left.

Which place are you  referring to?
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 6:48:36 PM EDT
[#45]

Thanks for the good info!  I like to shoot my AR & Garand...but I am looking to get serious about handgun shooting.  Oddly enough a buddy just told me about the club in Findlay, might check them out.   Adams Conservation Club might be a good option as well.  Thanks again!

FYI, Adams has a high power league that they run with Southern Michigan Gun club that starts in fall and goes thru most of the winter.  It is one match at Adams and then the next match at Southern Michigan and back and forth.   Some VERY good shooters in that group –– some of which consistently finish near the top or sometimes  the very top at Camp Perry.    You have to be a member of Adams or Southern Michigan Gun Club to shoot that league.

In conjunction with that league, there is also a Vintage Rifle/Garand Match every year.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 2:10:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By eyefly:

There is a B&T in Lorian.  Might want to call, I haven't been there in years...

3030 Grove Street
Lorain, OH 44055
Phone:440-277-5252
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:40:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pistolpete] [#47]
An absolutely terrible guess policy is one reason I did not renew at Adam's.  If you enjoy taking new shooters out and sharing the shooting sports, Adam's ain't the place to do it.
I may have mentioned this before, but the Adam's advocate never touched on it, and I'm not sure how others compare.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:09:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TargetBlaster] [#48]
An absolutely terrible guess policy is one reason I did not renew at Adam's.  If you enjoy taking new shooters out and sharing the shooting sports, Adam's ain't the place to do it.
I may have mentioned this before, but the Adam's advocate never touched on it, and I'm not sure how others compare.

I agree that the Adams guest policy is more of a pain than it needs to be but you can still bring guests.

Every club will have something about it that you don't like. You just need to determine if the negatives are something that you can live with or not.
Link Posted: 10/1/2010 9:54:58 PM EDT
[#49]
UCOA is highly recommended by me! (doesn't mean much, but hey) Next year I want to participate in their IDPA shoots, but so far I've only done two seasons (and hopefully more!) worth of the multi-gun matches. The match directors are fantastic and everybody is very personable, and helpful regardless of skill level etc. Don't have to be a member of UCOA either to particpate in the matches, but if you live near there you might as well. I live in Youngstown and I still like it better than my local ranges. : ) Just my .02.
Link Posted: 10/12/2010 12:28:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Anywhere in the Athens area with a good rifle range?  Seems like the Strouds rifle range is shut down(hopefully not permanent).  They got yellow tape around it last Sunday when I went there.
Page / 9
Tacked Places to shoot in Ohio (Page 6 of 9)
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top