Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Tacked Places to shoot in Ohio (Page 1 of 9)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Posted: 12/19/2002 12:29:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: shotar]
I figured since this is gonna be our Forum I would kick it off by letting everyone list their favorite range.  I have found that many people coming into shooting either as a hobby or sport are hampered by their ability to find places to shoot in their area.  I also know that many might be interested in joining private clubs but have noone to sponsor them or worse yet little information about where those clubs are or who contacts might be.  Please feel free to sound off and if this thread grows we may look to tack it for all to reference.

I personally shoot at the ODNR range Near west farmington in Trumbull county.  It has 25, 50, and 100 yard ranges.  Permit required either $10 yearly with Hunting or fishing liscense, $25 yearly stand alone, or $3 for a daily permit.  Permits cannot be purchased on site, but are sold at all ODNR outlets for hunting and fishing liscenses.  Nice well maintained facility and only really crowded the last two weeks of November, avoid these.  It is open 9AM-5PM Wed-Sun.  Closed Mon and Tue.  The facility is also closed Jan. and Feb.  Yearly permits are valid March through Dec. 31st.  Paper targets only, target stands provided.

Lots of local Ar15.commers use this facility. Just look for the black rifles.

Please limit responses in this thread to factual information about clubs or ranges.  Any discussions about the merits or problems at given ranges, or just general range discussions should be taken to a new thread per the management.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 10:21:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Fairfield Sportsmens Association here - 50, 100, 200, & 300yd KD rifle range; two pistol ranges; a plinking range; two skeet fields; four dedicated trap fields; a couple of archery ranges and a "fishin' pond".

Open 365 Days per year - hours are from 8am to 11pm (only some ranges are lighted) - you can shoot any day, any time, without having "staff" on hand - $150 Initiation Fee & $65/yr after that.

Must be NRA member to join.

As far as indoor ranges go, Target World is about it in Cincinnati.  Somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 lanes of 25yd handgun, rimfire, & shotgun shooting.  They also handle FFL transfers for a flat rate $25 fee.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 10:43:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: shotar] [#2]

Originally Posted By shotar:
I figured since this is gonna be our Forum I would kick it off by letting everyone list their favorite range.  I have found that many people coming into shooting either as a hobby or sport are hampered by their ability to find places to shoot in their area.  I also know that many might be interested in joining private clubs but have noone to sponsor them or worse yet little information about where those clubs are or who contacts might be.  Please feel free to sound off and if this thread grows we may look to tack it for all to reference.

I personally shoot at the ODNR range Near west farmington in Trumbull county.  It has 25, 50, and 100 yard ranges.  Permit required either $10 yearly with Hunting or fishing liscense, $25 yearly stand alone, or $3 for a daily permit.  Permits cannot be purchased on site, but are sold at all ODNR outlets for hunting and fishing liscenses.  Nice well maintained facility and only really crowded the last two weeks of November, avoid these.  It is open 9AM-5PM Wed-Sun.  Closed Mon and Tue.  The facility is also closed Jan. and Feb.  Yearly permits are valid March through Dec. 31st.  Paper targets only, target stands provided.

Lots of local Ar15.commers use this facility. Just look for the black rifles.

I might be interested in checking that range out this coming spring. I'm about an hour away from there.

edit
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 11:07:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BenDover] [#3]
My hometown range is Ft. St. Clair Gun Club, but it's run by a bunch of bolt gun nazis. fsc.izzitso.com
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 11:41:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: shotar] [#4]

Originally Posted By BenDover:
My hometown range is Ft. St. Clair Gun Club, but it's run by a bunch of bolt gun nazis. fsc.izzitso.com

I hear they like to host rifle matches, then change the rules 1/2 way through while you are shooting. Is it east or west of 127? Fella named Busse?

I used to visit the Spring Valley Range, but now I live north, so it is kinda far, only if there was a quick straight route from Troy to Xenia.....

edit
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 11:44:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: shotar] [#5]
I don't know about rule changing or who Busse is. It's east of 127. They hate military rifles, bump firing, ar15.com, and non-paper targets.

edit
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 1:06:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Lima Sabres Shooting Association:

$55 the first year and $40 a year after that.

Located in Lima Ohio by the Allen County Fairgrounds, right off of I75.

Highpower with target pits. Very active highpower program. Range is 300 yards.

Two pistol ranges that host Modified Police Pitol Course and our winter rimfire league.

3 traps, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday trapshoots

Rimfire Silhouette

Benchrest

Primitive weapons shoots and a growing blackpowder program

Very active youth programs for smallbore and trap.
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 1:54:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 5:29:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: shotar] [#8]

Originally Posted By MickeyMouse:
Bell's Station.  Private organization.  Unsupervised 25, 50, 100yd ranges, heated shooting positions (if you light the stove).  .50, full auto, black rifles welcome.  $25 year.  Beats hell out of local ODNR range!!  My neighbor has a place we can shoot 1000 yards when the fields are bare and you can seeeeeeee.

Please tell me this is within a driveable distance of Cleveland!

edit
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 7:43:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 9:00:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: shotar] [#10]
MM - Could you either post or send me specifics on that range?  If it's 50 miles south of Columbus, it's definitely within "checking out" driving distance of Cincinnati.  

edit
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 9:27:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 9:22:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: shotar] [#12]
Ahhh...just past The Lion's Den, eh?  

edit
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 12:30:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 10:37:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Briar Rabbit is the best shooting range in Ohio and it is open to the public.

briarrabbit.com
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 7:30:11 PM EDT
[#15]
SBR7_11, Busse is long gone! Tac matches are currently run by John Farquhar. Local rules, which are posted. emphasis is on TRAINING and surviving a gunfight; not IPSC or anything else. Try it, you'll like it. You can reach John at [email protected].
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 7:32:46 PM EDT
[#16]
In refernce to Ft St Clair Gun Club.
We do have a group putting on Mauser matches, mostly just to see what they can do with the old guns.
We have an active Tactical competition, I don't know that I have ever seen the rules changed in the middle of any match, in the past 12 yrs. That I have been co-director or director of the matches
Don Busse used to compete at Ft St Clair, & at time did help with some of our matches. Don has not been to the club for about 8 yrs, & now works in Bakersfield CA.
The club also holds CMP matches, & most of those are shot with semi autos.
The club does not allow any full auto fire, or trigger devices that allow auto type fire, & bump-fire is considered by those that make the rules to by full auto fire. IT SHOULD BE NOTED: the club does not own the grounds, & the owner does not want fullauto fire on the grounds. So that rule is basicly in the lease as I understand it.
The range is located east of 127, & south of 122.
Our next Tactical Rifle match will be Feb 23rd,
for more information [email protected]
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 6:19:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: glck32] [#17]
I shoot a Tusco Rifle Range just east of New Philadelphia. At last count we were around 900 members.Check out the pics. on their website.

www.geocities.com/tuscorp/
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 8:58:17 AM EDT
[#18]
In Guernsey Co, intersection I70 & I77 there is the Ohio Power Authority which has 10,000 acres open to the public with 400+ lakes and free camping (no power).  It is a surface strip mine that was restored. Kind of like post WWII setting but great place to go camp, fish, hunt, or just shoot.  You will need a Ohio Power utility bill and get a permit but no charge.  It is well patroled but it caters to the shooter, fisher, and hunter.  One of the most fantastic places I've found in the US for outdoor adventure.  I can't begin to tell you how many sliced hillsides are available for backstops for shooting. It's far enough from the big cities, 1.5 hours Columbus & 2 hours Cleveland, that you don't get mom and pop overnight camping so everyone there is a outdoors sportsman.  Great place and you guys in Ohio are lucky.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 2:54:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: shotar] [#19]
Anyone know of any good ranges in the Athens/Meigs County area?

edit
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 1:34:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Miami Rifle and Pistol near Eastern Cincinnati has a 50/100/150,200 covered bench range and a 200/300/600yard High Power Match range. Only range I know of in the area that has a 600yard range. They also have pistol ranges and do all NRA type shoots including High Power, Western, IPSC, etc. They have a web page I think it's something like MiamiRiflePistol.org But I'm not sure.
Membership is almost cap'd it cost around $65 a year.
Great Range! Good People!
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 1:47:27 AM EDT
[#21]
MickeyMouse!

I'd love to join the club down there.  I'm just a touch North of Columbus, and haven't really found a decent outdoor range, but I'm new to the AR games, so I haven't really looked to hard.  Let me know if I can get in the running.

Anyone in the Columbus area looking for a decent indoor range, a tad pricey, but really nice, is the New Albany Shooting Range.  The points are all electronic, great lighting, and the staff seems fairly knowledgeable.  Don't plan on buying a gun there, b/c they are overpriced.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 12:28:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Waldo] [#22]

Youngstown Rifle and Pistol.

Pretty much Highpower and paper targets on the rifle side, 200yrds. They run IDPA also and have the local monthly CMP match (winter too), Usually run a Garand clinic and match also.

You don't have to be a member to shoot at the CMP or IDPA match.

www.yrpc.org/

My favorite range is Tusco.
Link Posted: 1/15/2003 8:58:26 PM EDT
[#23]
I go to Elmore Conservation  www.elmorecc.org  in NW Ohio just a little East of Toledo.

Nice range, decent fee.  I paid $136 last year.  If you work the 10 hours your dues are only $35 after the 1st year...  Covered firring line, 200 yard rifle range.  Home of the state IHMSA matches.  some DCM matches.  It is near Camp Perry.
Link Posted: 1/16/2003 11:58:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: shotar] [#24]
Mickey Mouse - Any word on open slots yet?

edit
Link Posted: 1/16/2003 9:27:35 PM EDT
[#25]
A&A shooting range, 20 miles east of Chagrin Falls on Fenstermaker Rd. off of 422.  Go right on Fenstermaker and go 1 mile.  250, 100, and 50 yard ranges open on weekends.   Five-Stand on Thursday nights under the lights and all day on Sat and Sundays.  A little on the expensive side at about $6 per round/hour but if you only get out once every other month or so it aint half bad.  He has memberships available but I havent bothered to look into it heavily.
Link Posted: 1/16/2003 9:33:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: shotar] [#26]
Dale's backyard in Westfield Center near Lodi.

edit
Link Posted: 1/16/2003 9:56:30 PM EDT
[#27]

Originally Posted By EladEflow:
Anyone know of any good ranges in the Athens/Meigs County area?

The only range I know of near there is the pistol/rimfire range at Zaleski, near lake hope, in Vinton Co. (I think)  When I lived in Meigs, I just shot out back. When I lived in nelsonville, I'd go out to the woods back behind Hocking college, far enough away to be safe, of course.  There's good hunting there too. You need to get permission form OH Power though.
Link Posted: 1/21/2003 1:59:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: shotar] [#28]
Another Fairfield Sportsman's shooter here. It's a great facility, and we even have 2 gold medal olympians that're members. I love the club, and the people are MOSTLY considerate of their neigbor shooters. I personally would like to see more service rifle matches, but that's just me.  

edit
Link Posted: 1/23/2003 7:51:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: shotar] [#29]
New member here...  Just got my 1st AR a couple weeks ago.  I have been looking for somewhere to go shooting.  Tried Stonewall, not really rifle freindly.  I am just looking for a place where I can just let some lead fly downrange and not have everyone staring at you funny for having a rifle.  Anyone have any ideas?

edit
Link Posted: 1/23/2003 8:16:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: shotar] [#30]
Skater00 - It may help if we knew where you live in Ohio.  

edit
Link Posted: 1/23/2003 10:01:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: shotar] [#31]
Yeah... thought about that after I posted.  I live in Parma (Cleveland area).  

edit
Link Posted: 1/25/2003 12:41:09 PM EDT
[#32]
My club is the Ashland Lake Gun Club, near West Salem, OH.  It's about 10 miles north of Ashland, on US RT 42.  Here is a link to our webpage:

www.ashlandlakegunclub.org

We have four 25 yard pistol ranges, a bowling pin range, 100, 200 and 300 yard rifle ranges, trap, skeet, a pavillion and about 38 permanent campsites (with electric) and plenty of room for temporary camping.  

Our activities are:

IDPA
Tactical Rifle & Shotgun (new for this year, AR.15 member Stony and I are running it)
Bowling Pin
High Power
.22 Silhouette
Trap
Skeet

We also have a very active social calendar, including pig roasts, clambakes, etc.
Link Posted: 1/26/2003 7:19:06 PM EDT
[#33]
briarrabbit.com
Link Posted: 1/27/2003 9:09:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Im a Member of the Hocking Valley Fish & Game Assoc. In Logan, Ohio. About 60 miles south of Columbus. We have a 100yd & 200yd Range with 8 covered shooting position's, Hang your own target, There are plans to put in a Pistol Range this Spring. There is also 70 acres you can hunt on, and it butt's up to 100 public hunting. We have a monthly meeting/dinner & Friends of the NRA dinner's. And you also get a key to the range, and to the Clubhouse grounds which sit on Lake Logan. We have fundraiser's and shooting match's all the time.
 The first year is $30 & $25 every year after.
I shoot there alot, nice and out in the country. All Arms Welcome to shoot.

If interested E-mail me [email protected]
Link Posted: 1/29/2003 11:54:17 AM EDT
[#35]
I just became a member of the Izaak Walton League in Seneca County.  They have pistol and rifle ranges with a 200 yard rifle range.  They are unsupervised except during the bowling pin and turkey shoot events.
Anyone else here from the Richland, Crawford, Seneca county area?

SAM1A
Link Posted: 2/2/2003 5:50:00 AM EDT
[#36]
skater00, for a quick and easy indoor rifle and handgun range (full auto ok) take I-90 west to 611...the 151 exit. Make a right, a few miles, on the righthand side...Sportsmans Advantage (name was changed from North Coast to be PC) or call 1-440-949-2222 for info/hours/prices.
No unjacketed lead or AP (magnetic to them)
And wave when ya go by.
Link Posted: 2/2/2003 10:38:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: shotar] [#37]
Heading up there this morning... Thanks.

edit
Link Posted: 2/2/2003 10:55:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: shotar] [#38]
I hear their might be some place to shoot off Lake Erie near Port Clinton - is this true ?

edit
Link Posted: 2/4/2003 10:11:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: shotar] [#39]
Anyone know a good place to shoot in or around Belmont/Monroe County, Ohio.

edit
Link Posted: 2/26/2003 6:50:55 PM EDT
[#40]
SKATER !!! You wanna go to the ODNR range (Grand River-in Trumbell county) that Shotar mentioned...get a pass at Walmart before you go..read his opening post

480 east to 422 east..left on 534..go about a mile on 534 then make a right on 88...drive a few miles (10 minutes mabe)range is gravel road on yer left(sign by road) If you hit route 45 then you went too far on 88. It will take you a touch under an hour to get there.They open THIS saturday(March 1st)
Link Posted: 3/15/2003 1:07:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: shotar] [#41]
I was thinking about heading out to A&A over the weekend.  I was just wondering what kind of facilities they have.  I have not been there in about 10 years or more so any info would be appreciated.

edit
Link Posted: 3/15/2003 9:54:30 AM EDT
[#42]
A&A range was knee deep in trash and steel cartridge cases the last time I was there probably 3 or 4 years ago.  The ODNR range is just as convenient.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 3/17/2003 10:58:51 PM EDT
[#43]
I want to start competing in long range shoots. Can you help? I live in Columbus and need at least 300 yard range.
Link Posted: 3/18/2003 8:49:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: shotar] [#44]
I'll try the ODNR range here soon now that the weather is good.  THanks for the advice.

edit
Link Posted: 3/21/2003 12:02:13 AM EDT
[#45]
I shoot at grand river too. Had my little cousin out there last weekend. His first time. THe new RO seems pretty nice. Didn't give me any crap about shooting the ar's on the 25 yd line with my cousin. Very mice and clean place. But I will be checking out the range in Youngstown mentioned above.
Link Posted: 3/23/2003 2:04:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Are there any members of the UCOA Club near Findlay, Ohio out there?  I've been thinking about joining, but I don't know any current members.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/29/2003 10:52:00 AM EDT
[#47]
Kelbleys range in North Lawrence (Wayne County) is basically a benchrest affair, but there's seldom more than a dozen shooters on what must be 100 firing points (100 and 200 yard).

Membership only range, so dropping for an hour or two isn't cost effective.

Paper targets only, so automatic fire, yada yada yada.

25 and 50 yard ranges are separate from the 100/200 yard.

I go there a lot, mainly because it's often vacant.  Big benchrest meet in late may as I recall.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 4/9/2003 7:41:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Greenhorn] [#48]

Originally Posted By BenDover:

Yes, they are nazis.  I got the brunt of their wrath a few months ago (ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=157439

Anywho, my current gun club is the Middletown Sportsman's Club.  It's much better and bigger than St. Claire, you can shoot any target with any gun (minus such things as cannons, FA guns, etc), they have a fishing lake, etc. etc., and also, it's the same distance from me as Claire was, just the opposite direction.  I haven't been there in a month or two because my car is damaged and needs $1000 of repairs, but I'm hoping to find a way to get up there again soon.  I paid $111.78 for a year's membership, and that's including an extra $20 for a guest membership (which allows you to bring a guest).
Link Posted: 4/9/2003 11:20:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: shotar] [#49]

Originally Posted By Guncrazy223:
I shoot at grand river too. Had my little cousin out there last weekend. His first time. THe new RO seems pretty nice. Didn't give me any crap about shooting the ar's on the 25 yd line with my cousin. Very mice and clean place. But I will be checking out the range in Youngstown mentioned above.

I was there for the first time last Sunday along with mmsig229,kevf7, and smallbore freak from rimfirecentral.com
Its a nice range. The Ro seems lonely and clings to anyone who will talk to him. We were shooting at the 75 yd range. I'd like to set up an Ohio shoot there this summer.

edit
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 3:17:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: shotar] [#50]
live in parma now moveing to medina in a month.. what the closest place thats 200y + and cheep to shoot... SCSA in medina lost its 200 range.. =(

edit
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Tacked Places to shoot in Ohio (Page 1 of 9)
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top