Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2017 12:23:24 PM EDT
Hi ya'll

A friend of mine needs to find a home for their GSDs.

they are in the Pasadena area.

here's what she has to say about them:

We are looking for kind families to adopt our wonderful German Shepherd dogs. They are extremely well pedigreed ($4,000 each from reputable breeder) and we had them basic trained ($2,000 each) and guard dog trained ($3,500 each). We are not looking to sell them even though they are quite valuable, we are looking to find them a good home as we are moving and cannot take them with us which saddens us greatly but we need to keep their best interest at heart.

A little about Both:

Both are great with families and kids. We have a 19 month old daughter and both the dogs are very gentle around her. They do at times get excited and forget how big they are and they do need to be reminded to calm down. We have always been watchful when they are around her as she is very small so I wouldn’t leave them alone to play but they would be fine with older children alone and just need to be reminded to calm down if they get too excited. (Pics attached)

Both are trained to poop in a specified location and do not poop all over the grass. I trained them well from the time they were puppies which was extremely time consuming but well worth the effort. They will be easy to direct to the single spot you would like them to potty so you don’t have to worry about walking through your yard and stepping on a “landmine”!

Both are basic trained (German commands) to sit, bark, lay down, come etc. They are also guard dog trained to growl/be on guard, attack and let go. We have not used the guard dog training commands so they do need some direction and possibly some home training to renew their skills but they will pick it up easily as they have former training.

Both dogs are still intact (not neutered) so you will need to take this into consideration if you have female dogs. They are not registered to breed and we are not opposed to a good family who wants to have them neutered. We did not have it done when they were puppies because it stunts their growth and we wanted them to develop and look like male dogs. When they matured we didn’t have it done as we did not have them around females, but we understand if they will need to be altered. They do not hump things as we were very rigorous when they were puppies and did not allow it.

Both dogs are well house trained! We have had some chewing incidents with slippers that looked like toys and toys that were left out but they never chew household items (sofas etc) or shoes or things that do not look like toys. We leave them free in the house for about 7 hours when we are at work and have not had any issues with unwanted chewing. They have had occasional “accidents” but less than 5 total between the 2 of them since we owned them.

Both are crate trained and sleep in their crates all night. The only time we let them sleep outside of their crates is when it gets really hot and they need to drink water.

Loki:

Loki is a little over 5 years old and just a huge love dog. He is pretty lazy and easy going and loves to go on walks. We trained him well so he knows the person walks him, he doesn’t walk you! He’s very good and will heel but may need reinforcement if he gets excited. He has never pulled or run off during walks. If you’re not super active and want a good lazy dog he’s your guy! He will work if you tell him to and has a great protective instinct but he’s mostly talk when it comes down to it. He looks mean because he’s very big for a GSD (almost 120 lbs) but chances are he’ll lick someone to death :p

Jax:

Jay is about 3 years old and an amazing little guy but very active! He needs a lot of running around. He does good in the house while we’re at work or even running around in the yard. If in the house he will need a lot of running at the end of the day. He’s a social butterfly and needs people or friends. He does not do well in a kennel all day. He is EXTREMELY protective of women and children and will get between them and a male person if he doesn’t know the male (i.e. not a household member). He has never attacked or been violent/hostile but he looks very scary if approached by an unknown male. He also isn’t a big fan of the vet and we do muzzle him when we go. Again, he has never been hostile but he scares people so it’s more so other people don’t freak out.

I would be happy to share more or answer any questions you might have if you’re interested.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/9/2017 12:57:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice looking dags.

Edited: Different forum joke.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 2:00:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 2:39:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Post in general, you'll probably find someone there that will take them.

Or you could try Calguns.
View Quote
i haven't been on there in a long damn time
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:21:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
I contacted my wife's cousins.  They live down around Huntington Beach.  I'll let you know if they have any interest.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 12:26:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 3:04:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Truly nice looking dogs.  They will find a home.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 1:53:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I contacted my wife's cousins.  They live down around Huntington Beach.  I'll let you know if they have any interest.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 1:30:05 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd really try gd.  Mark aka thejoker may have some leads with his rescue contacts too.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 8:12:12 AM EDT
[#9]
They finally got back to us.  Sorry, they said they have to pass.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 6:27:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Good looking dogs. I wish I had the space for two dogs, I'd be all over this.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 9:33:35 PM EDT
[#11]
If I hadn't just taken in a Husky/GSD mix, I'd be all over this.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:03:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Do both the dogs need to stay together? I don't think I can take 2. how do they do with other dogs? And What about cats?
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:32:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Do both the dogs need to stay together? I don't think I can take 2. how do they do with other dogs? And What about cats?
View Quote
They strongly prefer the dogs be kept together. No idea on cats, but possibly not good considering their prolific squirrel slaughtering
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:43:51 PM EDT
[#14]
I read your post last night, and tonight the wife out of nowhere says we need another dog. We have a 10 y/o female french bulldog(We put her brother down last month, same litter). Two cats and a 9 y/o boy. he wants a GSD or Belgian. The cats rule the house, I'm not cat person, but these two little shits are more like dogs, so i don't mind so much. I'm not so sure we could handle two more. The cat thing is a major issue though, Could you ask. I do have plenty of Squirrels though. I live real close to Pasadena, like 10 min.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 12:51:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I read your post last night, and tonight the wife out of nowhere says we need another dog. We have a 10 y/o female french bulldog(We put her brother down last month, same litter). Two cats and a 9 y/o boy. he wants a GSD or Belgian. The cats rule the house, I'm not cat person, but these two little shits are more like dogs, so i don't mind so much. I'm not so sure we could handle two more. The cat thing is a major issue though, Could you ask. I do have plenty of Squirrels though. I live real close to Pasadena, like 10 min.
View Quote
I asked her. She says,

"They're really good around small dogs. they’ve never been around cats so idk. They do chase and catch squirrels outside idk if cat is in house if they'd see it as prey. Only one way to find out "
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 1:28:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Made a final agreement with the owner last weekend, Loki and Jaz are moving into my house this weekend.  
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 4:38:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Made a final agreement with the owner last weekend, Loki and Jaz are moving into my house this weekend.  
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 11:36:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lucky.

Good looking doggies. 
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 1:35:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
Those are some fine looking dogs.  You are lucky.  You can tell from the photo that both dogs are great!
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 3:11:40 AM EDT
[#20]
They are, and well trained.  Loki is very calm, and Jaz is high energy.
Now I have to brush up on my German, since they are trained with German commands.
I look forward to them moving in, and have taken a week off, just to help them transition.  

Now I need to get trained in handling them.
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 12:04:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for all your help, folks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top