Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2017 3:43:59 PM EDT
What is the latest on belt-feds such as a 1919, M2HB, or DShK?
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 5:50:33 PM EDT
[#1]
IIRC, in California (not Hawaii), belted ammunition is considered a "high capacity magazine" and is banned under those provisions.  

The belt is an "ammunition feeding device" in the same way a box magazine is an ammunition feeding device.

A cloth belt could be physically cut or have a stop installed* such that capacity is limited to only 10 rounds.  Linked ammo could be (and must be) limited to 10 rounds.  In this way, they could be used in a semi-auto version of those firearms (like a 1919).

I could be wrong but I believe this is the current interpretation.  If I am incorrect, please feel free to correct my mistakes.

*  ETA - added option to limit to 10 rounds without permanent mod to cloth belt.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 11:15:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Pretty sure that's correct but I haven't been closely following whatever is going on the magazine litigation(s?) and what it might do to definitions, etc.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:10:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 12:52:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nothing has changed, you can only link up 10 rounds unless you have a belt that was linked prior to the cut off date.

All the guys that I know that have belt feds and had belted ammo prior to the cut off date have made a stop of some type in that belt/belts. Some have even gone so far as to write the date on them when purchased and then wrapped it with more tape to protect it.

If this gets over turned then it won't matter, they'll have to unlink it and make the belts 10 rounds.
View Quote
I think you mis-typed this or perhaps I missed your intent.  I think it goes like this:

If the high cap ban is over-turned, they can remove the stops they installed and add as many links as they want..

If the legislation is upheld, the belts and links have to stay at 10 rounds.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 1:53:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 2:28:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh, I understand your point.  You are referring to the judge's stay of the new legislation banning high cap magazines and belt.

I was referring to the legislation, itself.  I think the stay will prove to be temporary, as I've heard the CA DOJ is going to fight it.

Have you heard anything about that?  I suppose the stay could be permanent, if it isn't fought in court by the DOJ.

They did this when they defined a magazine as broadly as an "ammunition feeding device".  Yes, they over-reach as far as they can, given their ultimate goal of disarming the law-abiding public.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top