Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2017 2:39:31 PM EDT
I was doing a Google Maps "Repo Man" flyover in honor of Harry Dean Stanton's passing and noticed it was no more. I couldn't believe my eyes.

Not a single thread about it?

WTF? That beast was an icon of the LA film industry. So what if it had a 70% probability of collapse in an earthquake within 50 years?

If Griffith Observatory fell in an earthquake, no one here would say shit? WTF?

So, does this effect the tunnel that leads to the LA River? I had bucket list plans to drive through that thing and do donuts in the LA River sometime before I die. Are my plans now squashed?

In case anyone is interested, Repo Man (1984) Locations (Google Maps)
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:04:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Not sure what the downtime is, but it will be rebuilt.   Part of it goes over my train tracks
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:37:30 AM EDT
[#2]
If you live under a rock, don't expect others to lift it to let in light from time to time.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 2:09:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you live under a rock, don't expect others to lift it to let in light from time to time.
View Quote
Ah, yes, commaraderie and the spirit of collaboration and cooperation is alive, well and thriving on ARFCOM.  It's a joy to see, isn't it?
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 3:30:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Ah, yes, commaraderie and the spirit of collaboration and cooperation is alive, well and thriving on ARFCOM.  It's a joy to see, isn't it?
View Quote
I could have put it differently, but the whole "troll" thing sort of required a rock comment.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 12:07:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Not sure what the downtime is, but it will be rebuilt.   Part of it goes over my train tracks
View Quote
Well. I looked it up again seeing this thread.  Not surprisingly, they do expect some schedule slip and cost going up.  Part of that is dealing with the tracks, the article (L.A. Times so ...) attributes some of it to dealing with 9 sets of tracks and 5 different rail agencies??
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 12:09:17 AM EDT
[#6]
oops double post
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:20:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 4:55:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Well. I looked it up again seeing this thread.  Not surprisingly, they do expect some schedule slip and cost going up.  Part of that is dealing with the tracks, the article (L.A. Times so ...) attributes some of it to dealing with 9 sets of tracks and 5 different rail agencies??
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm with Los Angeles county metro.  It impacts my redline Yard tracks.  It's weird seeing the bridge gone wen I take the 101 connector to go to work, and not seeing the bridge anymore
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 3:52:01 PM EDT
[#9]
hey hey, he should get props for successfully avoiding all the progressive LA area based media during all the time that tearing down the bridge was an item.

It takes a special kind of guy to keep his TV and radio off and only visit Arfcom on the computer for that long.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 12:26:52 AM EDT
[#10]
FWIW, I haven't been down there since just before they shut it down.  So can't tell you if the tunnel is still there or accessible, etc.  But looks like the other bridges are still getting used in commercials, etc.  I'd guess the artists and gentrifiers haven't cleaned up the whole area so much you can't find generic dump under bridge locales for films, tv, either.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 10:22:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm a LA City Firefighter, it's in my district. It had "concrete Cancer" and they couldn't save it. The tunnel is still there and from what the foreman I talked to said was the tunnel is Staying, And they should be done with the riverbed work by October, before the rain. The plans for the new bridge are pretty grand. There's suppose to be shops and restaurants on the lower level, and the rod on the upper deck.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 11:11:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
I don't watch the SF Bay Area news anymore. You think I'd watch LA news?

I count on you guys to keep me informed so I don't have to watch the Communist local media.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 11:18:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
hey hey, he should get props for successfully avoiding all the progressive LA area based media during all the time that tearing down the bridge was an item.

It takes a special kind of guy to keep his TV and radio off and only visit Arfcom on the computer for that long.
View Quote
I lived 19 years in SoCal (San Gabriel Valley), double that in the SF Bay Area. Haven't watched the local news since 1990 or so. It's too depressing.

I'd rather have my teeth pulled with pliers.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 6:23:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I count on you guys to keep me informed so I don't have to watch the Communist local media.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's the problem.  We don't talk about LA in here, either.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 1:59:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
 There's the problem.  We don't talk about LA in here, either.
View Quote
No doubt the news is so depressing no one wants to talk about it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top