Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2017 6:03:51 PM EDT
My daughter bought a house in the Sierra foothills in central CA. I'll probably spend some time working on the house this winter.
Years ago I shot XTC with a service rifle at CA venues.
I understand things have changed.
I'd like to shoot a few matches while I'm there. I'm planning on bringing a Palma rifle, which should not be a problem.
Question: I understand a standard AR match rifle for XTC is not allowed. I'm trying to understand how an XTC match is shot now in CA, and what equipment can be used.
10 round mags  I'm guessing.
Are the rapids now shot w/o a mag change?

I've been online and can't find a link that discusses this. Help or a link would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 7:33:39 PM EDT
[#1]
You can still use an AR if you make it featureless. Check the calguns flow chart for details, but basically fixed stock, no pistol grip and no flash hider. That gets you normal mag release, which you will want. 10 round mags are the deal for out of staters, but you may see locals using 10+ rounders still, just depends on our court case.

I would go with the thorsden stock myself, as it completes the grip and stock requirement and you are probably gonna run a brake anyways. A bit pricy, but much easier to handle then most of the "fin" style grip wraps IMO.

http://www.thordsencustoms.com/frs-15-gen-iii-enhanced-stock-kit-black-434/
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 9:37:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
... you are probably gonna run a brake anyways.
View Quote
Muzzle brakes are not allowed in NRA and CMP competitions.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 9:39:59 PM EDT
[#3]
"Central Sierras" describes a huge area.  Do you also need to know of a Club or Range to shoot at or do you have that covered already?
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 8:15:56 PM EDT
[#4]
My daughter now lives near Sutter Creek.
I guess I'm still confused to the extent that I don't understand how you can shoot a traditional across the course match without detachable mags. I think I understand that you could use an M1A, which I used to shoot, since it lacks the pistol grip, and you can retain the detachable mag, if you block it to take only ten rounds. Or a Garand, which I have but only shoot in Garand Matches.
This is assuming that in CA an XTC match still has the standard course of fire: 20 slow offhand at 200, 20 sitting rapid w/mag changes at 200, 20 prone rapid w/mag changes at 300, 20 prone slow at 600.
A couple of years ago I was looking at videos of CA XTC matches where they were using the bullet buttons for mag changes in the rapids. Everything else seemed normal.
I'm understanding now that there is no longer a service or match rifle class in CA XTC that allows AR's.
I've talked to a couple of folks in CA and they've described "Highpower" matches that seem to be 40 round hunting matches.

Here's the match rifle:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 8:08:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I shoot xtc in NY with a featureless AR, normal mag release and 10 rounders. Absolutely no problem for me but I started this way after the Stupid Act went in.

'All' your match rifle needs is your choice of many non-pistol grips. Mag release is fine as is.

I like the angle of the monsterman. For most target shooters I would guess the exile/miad thumbshelf would be the best choice.

If you consider all the legal grip choices unacceptable THEN you might need to go fixed mag or manual operation.

CMP has an alternate rifle rule for ban states. This allows for fixed 5 round mags.
Cmp rimfire sporter has shot rapids as 2 by 5 with a 'slow' reload since it's inception to allow for fixed and tube mags.
Some clubs may be going to shooting this way for centerfire. Have to check club by club.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 12:18:22 PM EDT
[#6]
You will find XTC shooting is alive and well here in California and the California Juniors always do very well at Camp Perry.  

Match directors are very accommodating of various changes to allow people to shoot and still conform to the spirit of the Rules, even if they cannot conform to "the letter of the law" - no competitive advantage will be allowed; everyone plays by same rules; etc.

Contact the local match officials to find out the particulars of how they run their matches.  You can just show up on match day, too.  You will not be turned away and will have a great time!

ETA - I think using a Monster Man grip would make that rifle featureless and you could retain a normal magazine release.  Just be sure not to bring any magazine(s) that holds more than 10 rounds.  

Pmag makes decent 10 round mags.  They are readily available and are fairly inexpensive (<$15).

I've never been there but check out the Sacramento Valley Shooting Center.  They are ~20 miles from Sutter Creek and have an outstanding range (out to 1,000 yards) and run matches of all types.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 8:04:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I shoot xtc in NY with a featureless AR, normal mag release and 10 rounders. Absolutely no problem for me but I started this way after the Stupid Act went in.

'All' your match rifle needs is your choice of many non-pistol grips. Mag release is fine as is.

I like the angle of the monsterman. For most target shooters I would guess the exile/miad thumbshelf would be the best choice.

If you consider all the legal grip choices unacceptable THEN you might need to go fixed mag or manual operation.

CMP has an alternate rifle rule for ban states. This allows for fixed 5 round mags.
Cmp rimfire sporter has shot rapids as 2 by 5 with a 'slow' reload since it's inception to allow for fixed and tube mags.
Some clubs may be going to shooting this way for centerfire. Have to check club by club.
View Quote
Thanks, I'm starting to figure it out.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 8:05:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You will find XTC shooting is alive and well here in California and the California Juniors always do very well at Camp Perry.  

Match directors are very accommodating of various changes to allow people to shoot and still conform to the spirit of the Rules, even if they cannot conform to "the letter of the law" - no competitive advantage will be allowed; everyone plays by same rules; etc.

Contact the local match officials to find out the particulars of how they run their matches.  You can just show up on match day, too.  You will not be turned away and will have a great time!

ETA - I think using a Monster Man grip would make that rifle featureless and you could retain a normal magazine release.  Just be sure not to bring any magazine(s) that holds more than 10 rounds.  

Pmag makes decent 10 round mags.  They are readily available and are fairly inexpensive (<$15).

I've never been there but check out the Sacramento Valley Shooting Center.  They are ~20 miles from Sutter Creek and have an outstanding range (out to 1,000 yards) and run matches of all types.
View Quote
Thanks for the info. look forward to getting out there this winter with the modified AR, and maybe the Garand.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 6:06:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Turns out my daughter's place is closer to Pine Grove. They have three acres. She sent pictures, these must be her new doggies:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 7:36:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Turns out my daughter's place is closer to Pine Grove.
View Quote
Makes no difference to the contents of my post.  It's about the same distance (35 miles as the crow files).

It would be better if someone local to the area chimed in and offered better advice.

P.S. - Cool pic!  Nice dogs.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 7:52:34 AM EDT
[#11]
obtw

Is that a left side charge handle on a right handed sling gun?

Seems awkward. Maybe its two-sided? Or that knob I think I see is something else?

Just curious.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 7:03:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
obtw

Is that a left side charge handle on a right handed sling gun?

Seems awkward. Maybe its two-sided? Or that knob I think I see is something else?

Just curious.
View Quote
It's a left handed AR match rifle. Charging handle on the bolt cause the stock won't allow use of the regular charging handle. Just to confuse things there's a schuster bolt catch release set up for my trigger finger when shooting slow fire.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top