Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2017 12:25:20 AM EDT
I don't know. What's the best/cheapest CA-compliant mag release replacement?

Edit: It's happening this weekend I guess. I'm prepared to just bolt a 10 round mag permanently in place if I have to. Can I alternatively just completely remove the magazine catch or otherwise disassemble parts for now to make it compliant until I decide what exactly I want to do with it? I don't need it to be functional for the moment, I just need it to be legal to bring to CA. It's a standard M16A2 style build with a fixed stock, if that makes any difference.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 2:25:06 AM EDT
[#1]
The cheapest is a stainless steel 10-32 nylock nut and flat washer with a dab of epoxy to lock the threads.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 3:33:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The cheapest is a 10-32 nylock nut and a dab of epoxy to lock the threads.
View Quote
That seems kind of permanent. I'd like to be able to convert it back when I move to another state one day.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 3:41:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Heat the epoxy to soften it and remove the nut.  The cost is under $1.00.

There are other devices available but they are not "the cheapest", as you requested.  Others can tell you about the more expensive options, they are many.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 8:22:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Heat the epoxy to soften it and remove the nut.  The cost is under $1.00.

There are other devices available but they are not "the cheapest", as you requested.  Others can tell you about the more expensive options, they are many.
View Quote
I see...

As long as I can heat it up and take the nut off at some point it's fine. I'm just losing my gun storage spot in Nevada soon and I'm trying to figure out what to do with my rifle.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:04:37 PM EDT
[#5]
make it featureless ?
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:04:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I modified the post to include a washer and the use of stainless steel hardware.  Stainless raises the price a bit but we are still talking under $1.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 11:48:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 12:57:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have had some bad experiences with the cheapest ... might try the best.

Or at least spend $40 or so.
View Quote
I'm good with that. What is the best device and where do I find one?
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 3:21:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Rifle Gear has a variety of possibilities.  I thought they had an inexpensive featureless kit, too, as well as various maglock parts/kits.  but they've just redone their website and some of the bookmarks or search answers on Google, etc., don't work now.  Maybe worth a call?
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 9:56:31 AM EDT
[#10]
My plan is this for the stock $5.95:

https://www.strikeindustries.com/shop/index.php/products/compliance-solutions/strike-industries-ar-stock-stop.html

Make my own grip wrap from kydex, about $15-20.

And I have some compensators and brakes that I can put on. All in all the conversions wont be to bad for me.

here is a cheap one if you need it:
http://damageindustriesllc.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=124&product_id=210&limit=100
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 1:07:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Rifle Gear has a variety of possibilities.  I thought they had an inexpensive featureless kit, too, as well as various maglock parts/kits.  but they've just redone their website and some of the bookmarks or search answers on Google, etc., don't work now.  Maybe worth a call?
View Quote
Check your link.  It goes to a case trimmer at Brownells
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 8:42:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Check your link.  It goes to a case trimmer at Brownells
View Quote
I got no links to anyone.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 8:56:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Check this thread.  Buried in it are several bullet Button-type magazine locks.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 11:45:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 1:59:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Not having this option at the time, I ended up pinning my stock.  

I'd like to see an image of this in place
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 10:48:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My plan is this for the stock $5.95:

https://www.strikeindustries.com/shop/index.php/products/compliance-solutions/strike-industries-ar-stock-stop.html

Make my own grip wrap from kydex, about $15-20.

And I have some compensators and brakes that I can put on. All in all the conversions wont be to bad for me.

here is a cheap one if you need it:
http://damageindustriesllc.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=124&product_id=210&limit=100
View Quote
I like that stock stop. I'm on the call back list for when they become available again.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 1:57:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
make it featureless ?
View Quote
This unless it's absolutely not an option for you. 
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 6:45:53 PM EDT
[#18]
If you want the easiest option to install and remove, get this: https://www.armaglock2.com/product/armaglock/
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 6:46:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Check this thread.  Buried in it are several bullet Button-type magazine locks.
View Quote
bullet-button type locks are illegal now
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 10:46:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 12:02:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Please see update in OP....
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 3:11:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Not a lawyer, so... But as far as I know, if you are willing to "disassemble" and not have it functional, you could just separate the upper and lower receiver.  Then decide what changes you want to make and do them before you reassemble.  It still comes down to deciding if you want to go featureless or "fixed" magazine.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 4:59:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Not a lawyer, so... But as far as I know, if you are willing to "disassemble" and not have it functional, you could just separate the upper and lower receiver.  Then decide what changes you want to make and do them before you reassemble.  It still comes down to deciding if you want to go featureless or "fixed" magazine.
View Quote
If the offending feature is on the upper (i.e., a flash hider), separating them should be sufficient.

If the offending feature is on the lower receiver (i.e., detachable magazine release or telescoping stock on the serialized lower receiver), does separating them really suffice.  

Consider that the two might be in the same gun case or safe and no tools are required to create an "assault weapon".

I'm just asking (flame suit is on).
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 5:56:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If the offending feature is on the upper (i.e., a flash hider), separating them should be sufficient.

If the offending feature is on the lower receiver (i.e., detachable magazine release or telescoping stock on the serialized lower receiver), does separating them really suffice.  

Consider that the two might be in the same gun case or safe and no tools are required to create an "assault weapon".

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, that's kind of why I'm asking. It's currently a fully functional AR and in no way CA-approved as configured. I kind of doubt it just becomes OK if I simply separate the upper and lower.

I'm already pretty much sure that I'll just go the fixed-mag route because it was built on an Anderson lower and the bolt hole for the grip screw is so tight that the screw would shear-off before you backed it out to replace the pistol grip. If I shear the screw off in the lower then I'm basically fucked.

So my real question here is "does it make my normal lower receiver good to go if I just completely remove the magazine catch assembly"? It wouldn't be capable of holding a magazine at all so I'd think that would be an acceptable method for right now. Eta: It already has a fixed A2 stock, so that's no problem. Again, the main goal is currently just to make it legal to bring to the state; it doesn't need to be functional at this moment. I'll research the different available CA-compliant magazine-fixing widgets at a later point to make the rifle function again.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 7:17:46 PM EDT
[#25]
If uncomfortable with the bullet button, then pull it.  You are going to have to anyways.  Note that you could buy a complete lower assembly today (and get it later) with both a standard release and adjustable stock.  Again, something has got to change before assembly.  But the lower assembly is not restricted nor would an upper.  In the good old days, you could swap uppers and lowers all day and it didn't really matter (assuming you didn't mix rifle and pistol parts, etc.).  Not that it couldn't happen but I've never run across any hall monitors pointing out that, "Hey, you can't put that upper on that lower."  Although I suppose a gun store might mention it if you bought the two at the same time.  And they might not want you to fit them together to see if they fit a particular case or something.  IIRC, my last purchase was papered over with some notices on the receipts, etc., that they weren't responsible for any changes made by a customer, etc.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 8:30:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If uncomfortable with the bullet button, then pull it.  You are going to have to anyways.  Note that you could buy a complete lower assembly today (and get it later) with both a standard release and adjustable stock.  Again, something has got to change before assembly.  But the lower assembly is not restricted nor would an upper.  In the good old days, you could swap uppers and lowers all day and it didn't really matter (assuming you didn't mix rifle and pistol parts, etc.).  Not that it couldn't happen but I've never run across any hall monitors pointing out that, "Hey, you can't put that upper on that lower."  Although I suppose a gun store might mention it if you bought the two at the same time.  And they might not want you to fit them together to see if they fit a particular case or something.  IIRC, my last purchase was papered over with some notices on the receipts, etc., that they weren't responsible for any changes made by a customer, etc.
View Quote
I appreciate the response and I'd have to generally agree on some of the points you make - no one except the representatives of the SF, LA and Sacramento actually give a shit about any of these stupid, stupid laws.... but in the end I'm a law abiding citizen, and even though I find CA gun laws to be an egregious violation of my God-given rights and the Second Amendment, I still intend to avoid any felony firearm violations.

...but back to the point of this thread... My rifle doesn't have a bullet button and I don't intend to install one since it would become obsolete in a few months anyway; it is a regular rifle from a normal, unrestricted state. I'm just inquiring about what has to happen for it to be legal in CA. At this point I guess it boils down to what is the minimum amount of change that makes it demonstrably legal in CA.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 3:07:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Maybe mixed up with another thread.  If it's a straight forward build, with a standard mag release, then I'd just separate the upper and lower and not keep them together.  Seriously, unless you have some sort of tendency to attract searches of your car, etc., don't think there's much risk of anything at all, especially in separate containers.  I happen to prefer the featureless approach keeping the original mag release.  That could require as little as a grip wrap and a thread protector.  The muzzle device can't be a flash suppressor and that definition (in Ca.) is rather bizarre.  OTOH, if ypu go with a mag lock of some sort, then you could go with forward grips, a flash suppressor, etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top