BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2017 1:31:50 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 1:42:37 PM EDT
[#1]
They defined "Featureless", must be time to ban them
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 6:28:02 PM EDT
[#2]
What I find interesting/concerning is that it explicitly states the DOJ will not register a featureless rifle, an incomplete rifle, nor a rifle with a fixed magazine. So only those people actively breaking the law are eligible to register...
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 9:49:42 PM EDT
[#3]
So if I read it right you have to take gun to an FFL to get engraved with the CA DOJ Ser#

Not very many FFl's are set up to engrave, but most have a dremel, good luck with that!
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:30:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So if I read it right you have to take gun to an FFL to get engraved with the CA DOJ Ser#

Not very many FFl's are set up to engrave, but most have a dremel, good luck with that!
View Quote
The engraving is for 80% lowers that you want to register.  It doesn't have to be an FFL from what I read, but you can't leave the lower unattended with the engraver if they are not an FFL and the engraving must meet the ATF's standard.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 12:40:19 AM EDT
[#5]
in context, saw a thing or two that might be good.  but otherwise, I think there will be enough for the lawyers to litigate, too.  Also think there needs to be some incorporation of the mag "rules," too, to see how that fits together, so to speak.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 8:34:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
in context, saw a thing or two that might be good.  but otherwise, I think there will be enough for the lawyers to litigate, too.  Also think there needs to be some incorporation of the mag "rules," too, to see how that fits together, so to speak.
View Quote
Wow, I am not sure what you are reading, but there is NOTHING good about this.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:02:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Wow, I am not sure what you are reading, but there is NOTHING good about this.
View Quote
Nothing is an under statement!
This bill should be named ( 2019 AW Ban & Confiscation )
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 4:52:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, this is going to be...interesting.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:04:28 PM EDT
[#9]
The interesting part will be the enforcement or lack, thereof.

It seems to me, assault weapon registration would amount to an invitation for an audit of your gun safe.  All those high caps, squirreled away in gun safes, could lead to a BUNCH of arrests.  Getting the search warrant might not be that difficult, given some of the DA's and judges we have in California.  <-- my fears
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:39:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What I find interesting/concerning is that it explicitly states the DOJ will not register a featureless rifle, an incomplete rifle, nor a rifle with a fixed magazine. So only those people actively breaking the law are eligible to register...
View Quote
I'm having a tough time figuring out what you mean by that last sentence...
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:28:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm having a tough time figuring out what you mean by that last sentence...
View Quote
Unless I am overlooking something, that's the way I read it. We'll use ARs an example. In which configuration could you have an AR that is complete and is neither featureless nor has a fixed magazine but is not in violation of the law?
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:54:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Unless I am overlooking something, that's the way I read it. We'll use ARs an example. In which configuration could you have an AR that is complete and is neither featureless nor has a fixed magazine but is not in violation of the law?
View Quote
Single shot - manual operation avoids the "semiautomatic" provision

Rimfire - avoids the "centerfire rifle" provision

NOTHING avoids the ten round magazine limit.  By 1 July, those need to be gone.  I'm pissed.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 12:49:46 PM EDT
[#13]
The last sentence seems wrong.  If you are actively breaking the law, you aren't supposed to be able to solve that problem by registering.  OTOH, not sure what "active lawbreaking" was considered to be there.  What is registerable is a so-called bullet button rifle.  But these are currently legal to possess.  They could be legally owned, purchased, assembled, etc., up through 12/31/2016.  At  01/01/2017, you could no longer legally purchase or assemble one but it's not against the law to own one in California.  Basically there is a year in which to decide what to do with "bullet buttons," as in register, convert to a compliant form (featureless, maglocks requiring disassembly, etc.), dispose of out of state, etc.  They aren't going to let you register incomplete rifles, as in receivers, boxes of parts, etc., that aren't yet complete "bullet button" configurations because you aren't able to legally build a new "bullet button."  But, again, owning un-assembled parts, receivers, etc., is not illegal because there are numerous ways to assemble them into compliant configurations that don't require registration.  

Now, come 12/31/2017, if you haven't registered, converted, etc., then a tick of the clock will change legal status, but that's then, not now.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 11:06:32 AM EDT
[#14]
They posted "proposed" draft regulations.

How long does it remain a draft? My concern is they'll wait until the last minute so there's not enough time to apply for a serial number, especially since it states it'll be done by mail.

Also, what are the rules on having multiple serial numbers on a lower? What if we put our own serial number on an 80% lower but now have to add a CA DOJ serial number?
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 11:24:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The engraving is for 80% lowers that you want to register.  It doesn't have to be an FFL from what I read, but you can't leave the lower unattended with the engraver if they are not an FFL and the engraving must meet the ATF's standard.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Searching online I found a non-FFL company that will engrave while you wait. Atomic Engraving in Sylmar.

You can mail them unfinished 80% lowers or make an appointment through their website to bring in a finished lower. Their website says they surpass the ATF requirement of depth greater than .003".

They offer several options for engraving. The least expensive is $35. They also sell 80% lowers that include engraving for about $80.

I haven't tried them yet so this is just an FYI. I'm going to send them an 80% and see how it turns out.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 3:17:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Searching online I found a non-FFL company that will engrave while you wait. Atomic Engraving in Sylmar.

You can mail them unfinished 80% lowers or make an appointment through their website to bring in a finished lower. Their website says they surpass the ATF requirement of depth greater than .003".

They offer several options for engraving. The least expensive is $35. They also sell 80% lowers that include engraving for about $80.

I haven't tried them yet so this is just an FYI. I'm going to send them an 80% and see how it turns out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tattoo for your lower
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 6:08:46 PM EDT
[#17]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tattoo for your lower
More like scarification
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 2:30:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
They posted "proposed" draft regulations.

How long does it remain a draft? My concern is they'll wait until the last minute so there's not enough time to apply for a serial number, especially since it states it'll be done by mail.

Also, what are the rules on having multiple serial numbers on a lower? What if we put our own serial number on an 80% lower but now have to add a CA DOJ serial number?
View Quote
There is a Calguns thread on the administrative happenings.  On 5/31, the legislature was to vote on an extension of the registration deadline but there's no follow up post on that.  There's a posting that states that to meet the statutory requirements, the regulations must be published by June 26.  I guess at that point there is either more administrative comment period or??  Or perhaps that's the point that they can be formally challenged in court?  I haven't followed the serialization requirements as it wasn't something I was involved with.  Here's the thread.  There are plenty of other discussions going on, to.

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1305436&page=2
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:42:23 PM EDT
[#19]
New regs were DENIED today by OAL
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:29:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Tagged for later
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:55:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Friend in Ca has a AR and AK pistols bought in Ca with bullet buttons.

He bought them from gun stores that way a few months before they stopped selling them.

Are they looked at the same as rifles with bullet button's?

He is wondering if he needs to remove them from this state or regester them.

Thanks for any info since he can't find much on line and the gun stores are not much help since no one really knows whats going on with the state
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:27:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Friend in Ca has a AR and AK pistols bought in Ca with bullet buttons.

He bought them from gun stores that way a few months before they stopped selling them.

Are they looked at the same as rifles with bullet button's?

He is wondering if he needs to remove them from this state or regester them.

Thanks for any info since he can't find much on line and the gun stores are not much help since no one really knows whats going on with the state
View Quote
Assuming they were legally configured when sold with a bullet button, they can be registered.  So in that sense, it's the same as rifles. On the other hand, pistols have a different set of so-called "features" compared to rifles or shotguns when it comes to determining if it is illegal and can't be registered or can be registered.  Because of the differences in "features" allowed or proscribed, there is no way (that I'm aware of) that the typical AR or AK "pistol" can be made featureless to avoid registration, unlike rifles.

There is a thread a ways down the page with an updated flow chart on identifying options.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:21:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Assuming they were legally configured when sold with a bullet button, they can be registered.  So in that sense, it's the same as rifles. On the other hand, pistols have a different set of so-called "features" compared to rifles or shotguns when it comes to determining if it is illegal and can't be registered or can be registered.  Because of the differences in "features" allowed or proscribed, there is no way (that I'm aware of) that the typical AR or AK "pistol" can be made featureless to avoid registration, unlike rifles.

There is a thread a ways down the page with an updated flow chart on identifying options.
View Quote
Thanks

He bought them both from FFL's and they came with bullet buttons
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top