Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2016 10:27:05 PM EDT
I live in OR (aka America for now) but was in Sacramento last week visiting family & friends. While I was there my son & I built an AR-15 rifle to go along with his AR pistol. He has the CA legal 10 rd mags but IIRC there was an exception to the 10 round rule if the mags were pre-ban. I have a steel 20 round mag stamped Colt & I don't even remember when or where I got it but (a) when did the ban go into effect & (b) is there a pre-ban exception? I tried to sell it on eBay a couple of years ago but they yanked it & wiggled their finger at me. Naughty, naughty....

If the mags are legal how could I tell the difference between banned & not banned?
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 10:50:04 PM EDT
[#1]
High capacity magazines, as an item in and of itself, cannot be bought or sold or imported into California.  So, if. you brought it here from Oregon, that was a felony

If you legally possessed them here in CA prior to Jan 1, 2001, you can still use them in your registered assault weapon.

If you make a post-ban, AR-15 style rifle that is not an assault weapon (as your son did), you cannot use high capacity magazines in that rifle even if it were a fixed magazine.

At least, that's how I understand it from my investigations for my own rifles/mags.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 10:50:56 PM EDT
[#2]
The ban started 1/1/2000. There is only an exemption to keep the magazines you already owned lawfully in the state prior to the ban. There is no exemption for importing to colluding to import one now.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 11:47:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The ban started 1/1/2000. There is only an exemption to keep the magazines you already owned lawfully in the state prior to the ban. There is no exemption for importing to colluding to import one now.
View Quote

This. Date of the mag doesn't matter. You would need to have owned it and posessed it in CA prior to 2000. If you brought it down here on a road trip in 1999 then you legally possessed it in CA prior to the ban and can bring it back.

Same rules would apply to your kid.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 3:18:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

This. Date of the mag doesn't matter. You would need to have owned it and posessed it in CA prior to 2000. If you brought it down here on a road trip in 1999 then you legally possessed it in CA prior to the ban and can bring it back.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

that's a fiction that won't keep the OP's son out of court, even if you could win with it. Especially in Sacramento.

If your son is in his 20s, then he'd be ~10 when the ban took effect. No one going to buy the idea that he had it / possessed it prior to that date.

L.A. just recently completely criminalized any mag greater than 10rd capacity, regardless of the state pre-ban law. I'd expect the leftists running Sacramento to do the same soon if they haven't already.

Learn more about the laws and the associated punishments, before you decide on your course of action.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 11:28:31 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
that's a fiction that won't keep the OP's son out of court, even if you could win with it. Especially in Sacramento.

If your son is in his 20s, then he'd be ~10 when the ban took effect. No one going to buy the idea that he had it / possessed it prior to that date.

L.A. just recently completely criminalized any mag greater than 10rd capacity, regardless of the state pre-ban law. I'd expect the leftists running Sacramento to do the same soon if they haven't already.

Learn more about the laws and the associated punishments, before you decide on your course of action.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Counter argument. A father could purchase and give his living children magazines prior to the ban, no matter the age. This will hold up in court.

Link Posted: 4/25/2016 4:44:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
High capacity magazines, as an item in and of itself, cannot be bought or sold or imported into California.  So, if. you brought it here from Oregon, that was a felony

If you legally possessed them here in CA prior to Jan 1, 2001, you can still use them in your registered assault weapon.

If you make a post-ban, AR-15 style rifle that is not an assault weapon (as your son did), you cannot use high capacity magazines in that rifle even if it were a fixed magazine.

At least, that's how I understand it from my investigations for my own rifles/mags.
View Quote

Possession of ANY standard capacity magazine isn't regulated regardless of date of manufacture. (except LA county).

Buying or importing standard capacity magazines is illegal.

Has nothing to do with registered assault weapons. Lawfully owned standard cap mags can be used in any non AW handgun and in any "featureless" AR, AK or other rifle that lacks the state defined "evil features".

DO NOT use a magazine that holds over 10 rounds in a fixed magazine rifle, that in and of itself creates an "assault weapon".

Link Posted: 4/25/2016 5:11:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Counter argument. A father could purchase and give his living children magazines prior to the ban, no matter the age. This will hold up in court.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reality: does not prevent, at minimum, confiscation of magazines as public nuisance. If the "my daddy gave these to me and told me so through the womb" story doesn't pass the smell test (just like the "just say you """"FOUND"""" them story) it might not lead to a conviction, but the legal standard of evidence for an arrest is lower.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 10:09:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks to everyone for your insights & information. My son is in his 40's, lived in CA prior to 2000 but the magazine will stay here in OR. No fuss, no muss, no cops. He has a very high security level clearance from CA DOJ so he can do contract IT work inside CA prisons. He also has Top Secret clearance from his time in the Army when he worked on satellite comm systems. After he got out he was a military contractor and has maintained the clearance. Ten extra rounds aren't worth screwing all of that up.

As a side note, we've all heard that Juvenile records are sealed once a person turns 18. Baloney - there was a hangup with my son getting high level CA DOJ clearance because he had simply been QUESTIONED by the Sac County Sheriff's office. They interviewed him and two other kids when he was 17 but no charges were ever filed. Apparently the Sheriff's office didn't finalize the paperwork to close everything out & the CA DOJ caught it. The US Government gave him high level clearance when he was in his early 20's so either they didn't care about it or didn't find it during his background check.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:50:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:02:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:06:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 5:20:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Correct.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 5:47:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Parts kits used to be legal.  A parts kit could include every part of the magazine, just not assembled.  This would cover the OP.    Has that been railroaded?
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 12:05:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Parts kits used to be legal.  A parts kit could include every part of the magazine, just not assembled.  This would cover the OP.    Has that been railroaded?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

New legislation dubbed them magazine conversion parts or something like that. Banned.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 11:22:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This will hold up in court.
View Quote

That is quite the statement right there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top