Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2010 4:16:58 PM EDT
Is it worth doing? I've seen AK build parties all the time, but very few AR 80% build parties.

Just wonder if anyone has hosting one in the San Diego area.  I love to attend one.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 5:42:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure about the 80% lowers, but If you hear of another AK build party in the SD area, I'd be interested.

Sorry, not trying to change the topic of your thread... it's just that you are about the first person I've seen mention an AK build party in the SD area .
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 8:35:37 PM EDT
[#2]
what does an 80% AR15 lower look like?

You still have to comply with CA law right, so what is the point?
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 9:00:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Google search it in the pictures section... some are more complete than others, but they are, more or less, solid blocks of metal which resemble an AR lower.
Personally I don't think it's really that cost effective once you factor in the tools you need, whatever you are going to refinish the metal with, and just the "pain in the ass" of it.... and that's assuming you don't fubar the receiver right off the bat!

But I assume it is a project that some people enjoy, and it would be cool to literally build your own AR... as opposed to just putting the pieces together, like me
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 8:14:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Not sure about the 80% lowers, but If you hear of another AK build party in the SD area, I'd be interested.

Sorry, not trying to change the topic of your thread... it's just that you are about the first person I've seen mention an AK build party in the SD area .

There was an AK build last month in SD.  There's suppose to be a 80% AR build in LA next month.  I was seeing if someone with the tools (ie jigs/drill press) would be willing to host one.  I'd like to build a pistol lower with some custom engraving.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 8:55:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Google search it in the pictures section... some are more complete than others, but they are, more or less, solid blocks of metal which resemble an AR lower.

Personally I don't think it's really that cost effective once you factor in the tools you need, whatever you are going to refinish the metal with, and just the "pain in the ass" of it.... and that's assuming you don't fubar the receiver right off the bat!

But I assume it is a project that some people enjoy, and it would be cool to literally build your own AR... as opposed to just putting the pieces together, like me
The requirement is the builder must complete the lower himself, which is quite doable with the right tools.  Like an AK build, everyone brings the required tools and then sign up a few who have completed the task.

Or purchase an AR lower for $60 + transfer fee

Link Posted: 8/26/2010 8:41:10 AM EDT
[#6]
So what's the point?  Seems like a lot of work when you can buy a finished lower for $75.  Is there a legal advantage or is it just a cool thing to have done?  Seems like a lot of work that has to be done very precisely on expensive machine shop type machinery.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 3:05:00 PM EDT
[#7]
It would be just a fun little project.  Also would be a nice base for a AR pistol in 9mm or .223.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:51:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So what's the point?  Seems like a lot of work when you can buy a finished lower for $75.  Is there a legal advantage or is it just a cool thing to have done?  Seems like a lot of work that has to be done very precisely on expensive machine shop type machinery.

some people just like to build stuff, even if it costs more than buying.   Others want non-papered firearms.  other want to be able to legally build an AR-pistol without having to buy a complete pistol (when you buy complete, you have less options for how you build it up, what components are used).
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:20:53 AM EDT
[#9]
An 80% lower party would be hard.  It takes a long time to set-up and break down and reset.  Its would require an extremely good manufacturing manager to organize the party  Even then I think it would be limited to 5 or 6 people at best. To speed things up everyone would need their own jigs, it would just take a long time otherwise.  

I went to a AR15 build party since I have many of the tools.  It was very easy, we had like 15 guys in a garage and the host just walked everyone through the steps from stripped lower to complete working AR15 in 3 hours.  Mounting the barrel took the longest since I was the only one who brought the proper torque wrench and clam shell.  We only had 3 clam shells.  Several guys just skipped the step and went with "good enough" to pass the gas tube.  Those of us who knew what we were doing just did it, while others who never built one waited til the next step was read.  As it turned out we all learned new tricks to the build.  I learned a great trick on the Bolt release pin install.

If anyone forms a AR15 build party I would go and bring my tools if needed.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:56:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I would be willing to attend, would love to build a pistol lower
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 12:09:30 PM EDT
[#11]
We are "allowed" to have AR pistols in The Peoples Republik of Kalifornia???
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 12:17:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
We are "allowed" to have AR pistols in The Peoples Republik of Kalifornia???

yes, provided that they comply with the AW regs.  So that means that you need to run a fixed mag of <11-rounds,but thats it.

And due to the Roster of not-unsafe handguns, any AR-pistol that you purchase must initially be roster-exempt in a dimensionally-compliant single-shot configuration.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top