Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2006 7:47:55 AM EDT
So my friend had a bad pistol only about 2 years old, so he ships it to the company a few weeks later he receives a rebuilt pistol with a new serial number.

I thought it was interesting that he received a new serial number without any paper trail.

Gun still could be traced but it is not registered.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:05:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow.  He should return the gun and ask for a serial # reissue from his old #.

That's ILLEGAL.  The gun dealer sent a "whole new gun" to him without any CA FFL, DROS, waiting period, etc. involved.

If they refuse, he should tell them he is worried about his legal situation and must inform DOJ to protect himself.  That should get some action.

Normally I am not in favor of letting agencies know of stupid/questionable legalities by mfgrs and letting things slide, but when a mfgr or dealer tries to make a customer a possible criminal, that's a different thing.

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:06:50 AM EDT
[#2]
During the P-22 debacle, I sent mine in and found out the serial number didn't match the one listed at the DOJ.  S/W sumitted a change of SN to the DOJ, which I suspect is what happened with your friend's pistol.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:33:30 AM EDT
[#3]
what pistol was it? names...
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:15:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Same thing happened to a friend of mine here in Californistan.

I do not believe there is a "proper" procedure for notifying the DoJ.

ETA in my friend's case it was a Smith & Wesson Airlite revolver.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top