Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/10/2006 11:39:11 PM EDT
So what's the latest on the San Fran Handgun ban?  Last I heard was that NRA got them to hold off until beginning of April.  If that's current, expect them to start dredging the bay after all teh "Boating accidents".
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 12:20:02 AM EDT
[#1]
From NRAILA...

San Francisco Agrees To Delay Enforcement Of Prop H
In light of Superior Court Judge Warren's recommendation, the City of San Francisco has agreed to postpone enforcement of Prop H until June 19, 2006.
Read the letter from San Francisco's City Attorney

Basicly it's going to court.  When it goes to court the NRA will probably file for a temporary injunction to keep the law from being enforced until the lawsuit is settled.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:42:34 AM EDT
[#2]
If I am not mistaken (please correct me if I am wrong) Didn't San FRANCE-isco try this crap once before and it was shot down? (pun intended)

Why isnt there precedent?

San Francisco is OBVIOUSLY out of control. With their stance on LAWFUL gun owners and the military, I wonder WHAT THE HELL are they thinking over there?

Say what you want about the lawmakers BUT REMEMBER THIS:

1. They are elected BY the people there
2. The people voted to ban the military
3. The people voted to ban handguns

If the majority of the people there had their heads screwed on right, the lawmakers wouldnt be in power.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:55:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I think they've tried it twice before and was overturned.  That doesn't mean they cannot still pass the law anyway and waste taxpayer money bringing it before the courts.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:37:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Its simple, San Francisco is full of left wing commies, full of crap politicians.  There all against military, war, and shove there peace and gay ways down your throat.  And bitch day and night about civil rights..........go figure, as long its not your right to bear Arms.  What hypocritical BS, get the hell out of my city you transplanted hate filled so called Americans.  Before you even speak about rights, respect my 2nd Amendment right.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:48:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I think they've tried it twice before and was overturned.  That doesn't mean they cannot still pass the law anyway and waste taxpayer money bringing it before the courts.

+1
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:20:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Now that I got that rant out of my system about San Francisco I feel so much better.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:20:47 AM EDT
[#7]
The first ban said no hand guns were allowed in the city at all. It was turned over by the courts since it conflicted with the free travel of people within the state.

The recent ban only effects people living in SF. If you do not live live there you can travel with a hand gun in the city.

I think this is how they got it to pass.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:45:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The first ban said no hand guns were allowed in the city at all. It was turned over by the courts since it conflicted with the free travel of people within the state.

The recent ban only effects people living in SF. If you do not live live there you can travel with a hand gun in the city.

I think this is how they got it to pass.

No, it passed because the sheep in San Francisco wanted to feeeel safe.  Whether it holds up on legal grounds remains to be seen.

To put it another way:  you can put anything on the ballot with enough signatures.  Anything can be passed with enough votes.  There is nothing to prevent the passage of bad laws if they have enough support.  There is no requirement for judicial/constitutional review.  The only way to do that is through the courts after the law has been passed.

It's actually kindof frightening when you think about it.  Since the government always seeks more power, and has unlimited resources to defend it's own power, whether or not it can keep that power rests solely on its patience and desire.  Get enough statist judges and we are totally screwed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top