Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2006 11:34:24 AM EDT

Is there a rule on how many parts of a 30 round mag that can be replaced?

I'd like to replace the bodies of these pre-ban Orlite mags that I have with aluminum bodies, and I have to replace the plastic floor plates as well. Which leaves just the old spring and follower.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:52:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I keep hearing you only require 1 part from the original mag.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:00:45 PM EDT
[#2]
The tacked CA weapons primer has a DOJ response to magazine repair. But it is rather vague - "depends on your  DA's legal opinion"  
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:22:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd squish the old mag bodies and keep them.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:07:56 PM EDT
[#4]
None of the original parts need to be kept really.  Its a silly law that is generally unenforceable.  Even with your 100% stock orlites, unless you have the original receipt, you still couldn't prove that you didn't buy them from someone yesterday.  Fortunately, the burden of proof is on the prosecution.  So while a 30 round mag might get you in temporary trouble, its not going to do permanent damage to your record.

ETA:
What will screw you however is if you were to buy 30 round mags from someone in state and its a sting operation.  Otherwise, even if you bought complete mags out of state, you could still disassemble them and bring them into the state as replacement parts for your legally owned mags.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:11:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
None of the original parts need to be kept really.  Its a silly law that is generally unenforceable.  Even with your 100% stock orlites, unless you have the original receipt, you still couldn't prove that you didn't buy them from someone yesterday.  Fortunately, the burden of proof is on the prosecution.  So while a 30 round mag might get you in temporary trouble, its not going to do permanent damage to your record.

ETA:
What will screw you however is if you were to buy 30 round mags from someone in state and its a sting operation.  Otherwise, even if you bought complete mags out of state, you could still disassemble them and bring them into the state as replacement parts for your legally owned mags.

You ought to know better than to buy 30 round mags from someone in state....

And also, the burden of proof is SUPPOSED to be on the prosecution, but what is standard procedure here with 2nd amendment cases is called "getting railroaded" elsewhere.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:36:05 PM EDT
[#6]
What may screw you is if you buy a model of magazine or make that was not available in Cali prior to 2000.

For example you would not want to "repair" your Orlite with an HK M16 mag.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:19:51 PM EDT
[#7]
and its perfectly legal to repair your old prebans with LEO Marked mags.

The LEO bodies are now being sold and used as repair parts there is no law behind the marking so it really doesn't mean anything.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:24:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
What may screw you is if you buy a model of magazine or make that was not available in Cali prior to 2000.

You could replace an Orlite mag body with an HK steel mag body.  It is perfectly legal.  

And for the 1000th time there is no law saying you have to keep one original part or that you have to keep the parts you replaced.

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:25:17 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You could replace an Orlite mag body with an HK steel mag body.  It is perfectly legal.

And a cop who knew HK mags were never legally in Cali prior to 2000 would have the probable cause to arrest you for importing hicap mags.  

And for the 1000th time there is no law saying you have to keep one original part...
It's not really a repair if you replace an entire mag.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:43:32 AM EDT
[#10]
I inherited a hatchet from my father.  It's at least 70 years old.  The handle was replaced sometime in the fifties and I replaced the head about a year ago.  Nice old hatchet.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:28:58 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

And a cop who knew HK mags were never legally in Cali prior to 2000 would have the probable cause to arrest you for importing hicap mags.

If a person was arrested for having a mag that wasn't for sale prior to 2000 when it was in fact a single legal replacement part then the officer would be wrong.  It is ok to replace a mag body with one that was made and dated after 2000.

Any instance where a person is arrested for replacing broken parts in his Hi cap mags would be a mistake by the person or entity persecuting them.

It's legal to replace old/broken parts with new ones in CA.  Show me where it says it is illegal to replace every part over a period of time.  You can't construct new mags,  that is illegal.

Probable cause does not mean the person is GUILTY of violating any law.  I get the feeling you're trying to scare people.

I understand that HK mag body could appear to be a new imported mag but it is legal to replace an old mag body with a new HK steel mag body.

It's not really a repair if you replace an entire mag.

Let's put this in perspective:
Follower wears out 2001 replaced 2001.
Spring wears out 2002 replaced 2002.
Ranger floor plate breaks in the car door 2003 replaced 2003.
God damn mag lips are bent on the mag body 2004,  mag body replaced 2004.

Legal.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:58:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Give it up, it's an add on law at best for now.

It's intent was to prevent further sales of mags greater than 10rds, and has accomplished it's goal.

Many years down the road anyone in posession of a mag > 10rds will get poped.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:13:29 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

They're already doing that in Soprano-ville:

NJ hi-cap ban
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:34:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They're already doing that in Soprano-ville:

NJ hi-cap ban

The high-cap grandfather clause in SB23 would have to go first before something like this happens.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:59:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If a person was arrested for having a mag that wasn't for sale prior to 2000 when it was in fact a single legal replacement part then the officer would be wrong.  It is ok to replace a mag body with one that was made and dated after 2000.

It is legal.  But cops work in the probable cause business, which is a much lower standard than beyond a reasonable doubt.  A police officer encountering a magazine that was never lawfully sold in Cali prior to 2000 has PC to arrest for importing hicap mags.  Its best to repair your grandfathered hicaps with replecement parts for which you have kept the receipts and replecement parts of the same type as your grandfathered magazine was assembled from.

Probable cause does not mean the person is GUILTY of violating any law.

Correct.  It only means it's a lawfull arrest.

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:03:34 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

there have already been instances of those who were not 18yrs old in 2000 getting arrested for importing hicaps for simply being in possession of hicaps.

It is the opinion of many DAs that like AW's, hicap mags could only be grandfathered to those over 18yrs old. So if you are under 24yo there is no way you lawgfully own the hicap.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:50:22 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

there have already been instances of those who were not 18yrs old in 2000 getting arrested for importing hicaps for simply being in possession of hicaps.

It is the opinion of many DAs that like AW's, hicap mags could only be grandfathered to those over 18yrs old. So if you are under 24yo there is no way you lawgfully own the hicap.

they could be on loan from parents, there is no law saying a person could not borrow his fathers/ friends gun with magazines...

Seriously though IMHO cops really do not care much about guns unless you are doing something stupid.

A trip to jail takes what 2.5 hours out of a officers shift, he sure as hell isn't going to do it at the end of his shift or waste his time with some chicken shit bullshit like illegal mags.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:09:04 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

they could be on loan from parents, there is no law saying a person could not borrow his fathers/ friends gun with magazines...

Except of course the law saying a person could not borrow/lend hi cap magazines. Other than that though, you are right.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:11:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Btw, C Products can legally ship 30 rd replacement mag bodies to California

http://cproductsllc.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.cgi/00268.2.1573272194500014132

the mag bodies are unmarked.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:28:16 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

It is legal.  But cops work in the probable cause business, which is a much lower standard than beyond a reasonable doubt.  A police officer encountering a magazine that was never lawfully sold in Cali prior to 2000 has PC to arrest for importing hicap mags.  Its best to repair your grandfathered hicaps with replecement parts for which you have kept the receipts and replecement parts of the same type as your grandfathered magazine was assembled from.

If someone is scared of being mistaken for having an "unlawful" hicap,  then they can hose their mag bodies down with krylon or duracote so it doesn't look like a HK mag body.  Regardless it is legal to use new parts manufactured after 2000.

Correct.  It only means it's a lawfull arrest.

Like I said earlier:

I'm not trying to challenge AR15fan or say he is wrong,  I'm just trying to make the facts clear.  As far a keeping receipts for mag replacement parts,  I don't see someone going to court over having to prove that their hicap magazines are legal since there was no registration for mags or any way to tell who owned what and how much.  

If you are doing things that are illegal like drugs or assaulting women,  then you may not want to have the possibility of having your mags mistaken for illegal ones.  

If you are a law abiding citizen with a clean record like me,  you have no worries about police looking for ways to bust you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top