Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2006 3:59:54 PM EDT
Are preban uppers illegal in California.  From my understanding is that you cannot have a flash suppressor if your rifle is Semiauto and has detachable magazine.  So if you have a bolt action rifle or you have Semiauto w/ FIXED mag you can have a flash suppressor.  With the assault weapon ban not in effect it is legal to have flash suppressors.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:51:06 PM EDT
[#1]
If you have a legally registered AR lower, you can have any upper as long as the barrel or barrel with permanently attached flash hider is 16" or longer. Also if the lower has a collapsible stock the rifle's total length with the stock collapsed cannot be under 30" in length.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:37:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
If you have a legally registered AR lower, you can have any upper as long as the barrel or barrel with permanently attached flash hider is 16" or longer. Also if the lower has a collapsible stock the rifle's total length with the stock collapsed cannot be under 30" in length.

Actually in can be under 30" if it's a registered AW.  It just has to stay above the NFA requirements.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:30:37 PM EDT
[#3]
26'' if it is a registered AW i believe
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:06:35 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
26'' if it is a registered AW i believe

Sorry, my mistake.  26" is correct.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:45:13 AM EDT
[#5]
correct me if i am wrong, but i thought it is leagal to have as many evil features on your "registered assault rifle" including a threaded barrel. if i'm not correct please direct me to the facts.
thank you.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:43:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
correct me if i am wrong, but i thought it is leagal to have as many evil features on your "registered assault rifle" including a threaded barrel. if i'm not correct please direct me to the facts.
thank you.

You are correct.  However, when the federal AWB was in place there was a distinction between pre and post ban AWs.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:40:46 AM EDT
[#7]
to be more clear i should have stated that (from what i gather) it is legal in california to have a registered "assault weapon" with a threaded barrel and a flash hider "not" pinned in place. if i am incorrect please direct me where to find info.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:01:01 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
to be more clear i should have stated that (from what i gather) it is legal in california to have a registered "assault weapon" with a threaded barrel and a flash hider "not" pinned in place. if i am incorrect please direct me where to find info.

You are correct.  If it's a registered AW (as the law currently states, who knows about a few months from now) you can have any feature you want as long as it is NFA legal.  Threaded barrels, however, are legal on any non-AW rifles too, it's not an evil feature in CA unless it's on a pistol.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:01:07 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

That is correct.

eta:
SC beat me by 6 seconds!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:05:35 PM EDT
[#10]
The "pinning" requirement is only if the barrel is shorter than 16".  Any barrel shorter than 16" needs to have the flash hider or muzzle brake permanently attached.  Again, this is NFA related and not Kalifornia related, though we have certain rules regarding SBRs (basically they won't let you have one unless you're LEO or making a movie - purely discretionary of course).
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:27:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Can I legally ship an M16A1 complete UPPER to a resident of California????  Including bolt,carrier?    Is the burden of compliance on the resident, or me, as a private out of state seller to determine what's legal    ?

I see all the legalese on the thread, but not a definate answer.

Thanks for the help.   I have a sale pending, but when I found out the buyer was in CA,   I'm leery of doing it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:39:01 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Can I legally ship an M16A1 complete UPPER to a resident of California????  Including bolt,carrier?

Yes
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:39:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, I had my Complete Bushmaster upper assembly with bolt mailed to my work address no problems and I have a POF complete upper coming soon.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:05:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top