Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2006 5:10:10 PM EDT
Which is more liberal:

LA area or SF bay area?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:16:27 PM EDT
[#1]
SF by a long shot.  Looks who they elected mayor.  Their local PD chief is not all that experienced in LE.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:18:51 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
SF by a long shot.  Looks who they elected mayor.  Their local PD chief is not all that experienced in LE.

Yeah, she started as one of those "community service" cops, and apparently never really saw any mean street time. She couldn't relate to those Hunters Point cops who made the goofball video of running over a big black aldy & stuff. "This is a dark day, a very dark day..." It is if she has a problem with her employees having fun after work and accuses them of hate crimes.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:28:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Their local PD chief is not all that experienced in LE.

Couple years as a street cop, otherwise she was elected because 1. she's a minority, 2 she's a woman, 3. it's San Francisco.

I'm very unhappy with her service thus far and think positions should be given based on merit, not because you're a "special case" like a minority or woman.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:48:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Its not even close...... SF by about -50 IQ points.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:10:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Agree w/everyone here.  Not even close.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:12:26 PM EDT
[#6]
SF
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:19:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Why is Sacramento on the list?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:57:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm gonna put my own vote in for Mendocino county. I've been to a couple 4th of July "parades" up there and it's fucking insane.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:45:11 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I'm gonna put my own vote in for Mendocino county. I've been to a couple 4th of July "parades" up there and it's fucking insane.

I've been up there the past couple weekends hunting.Driving thru downtown Willits is about the same asdriving thru  Berkeley.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:46:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I dont think we want to compare chiefs.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:00:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I realize that, but that city is liberal enough to get a person who does not have enough experience in LE.  It is like a USA corporation hiring a admin assist as CEO.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:27:40 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I realize that, but that city is liberal enough to get a person who does not have enough experience in LE.  It is like a USA corporation hiring a admin assist as CEO.

Yeah I know. They hate cops in SF so they are going to find the furthest thing from one.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:42:33 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah I know. They hate cops in SF so they are going to find the furthest thing from one.

Remember back in the days of the hippies, in the mid-60s to early-70s, the people SF treated the SFPD with quite a bit of disdain.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:45:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Mendocino is in a class by itself.  throw out the pot farmers and leave the loggers that have been put out of work by the greenies and I would bet it is about as conservative as you will ever find.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:03:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Definately SF
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:38:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:13:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Having lived in both SF and LA, SF is definitely more liberal!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:03:45 AM EDT
[#18]
When my wife & I got married a couple years ago, we went down to Disneyland for our honeymoon. We came over the grapevine and I was just struck with how conservative the whole area felt. And the smog didn't seem that bad. That was in April, maybe its worse other times. Anyway, the whole area, even Hollywood, seemed noticeably more conservative than Contra Costa county, to say nothing of Oakland / Berkeley and SF.

ETA: When I was working in Emeryville (a prime example of caplitalism done right), one of my favorite things to do would be to run over to Berkeley and get some pizza (great pizza in Berkeley) and pick up a couple of their communist newspapers. One of my favorites was one with an article about how bad the traffic congestion was in downtown Berkeley, and the solution the city council had come up with was to lower the speed limits.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:50:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Yeah no kidding!  The only thing in Sacramento that's fringe liberal are the legislaters that get shipped here from San Francisco and Los Angeles.  True, there's a couple out of the ballpark City council members here but keep in mind they get elected because they actually take the time to run... I mean seriously who cares about City Council.

The Central Valley is very conservative and only continues to get more conservative according to most studies.  Although there has been migration from the Bay Area and San Francisco they still haven't fully colonized us yet.  Hopefully when the interest rates go up we'll see them evicted from their stucco castles that are built 5 feet apart from each other.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:16:42 AM EDT
[#20]
kasudyo: Actually the stringents rules and regs of Calif EPA the AQMD that was in place for the past 10 years or so, has really cut the smog levels way down, and including the number of smog alerts.  I live in the San Gabriel Valley, near the foothills of the San Gabriel Mtns(10 miles east of Los Angeles), and when I move into my house 20 years ago, during the summer time the smog is so bad that I could barely see the mountains, which was about 5 miles away.  But the cost was tremendous.  We lost lots of jobs and the price of gasoline is doubled what is nationally.

Quoted:
The Central Valley is very conservative and only continues to get more conservative according to most studies.  Although there has been migration from the Bay Area and San Francisco they still haven't fully colonized us yet.  Hopefully when the interest rates go up we'll see them evicted from their stucco castles that are built 5 feet apart from each other.

The conservative Central Valley farmers is what cause the "Big Green" Initiative to fail 15 years ago, inspite of massive ads by the liberal supporters.  I would've put many of the farmers out of business.

The main bastions of liberal thought in Calif is Los Angeles,  and the Bay Area of SF, Berkeley etc.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:42:09 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
kasudyo: Actually the stringents rules and regs of Calif EPA the AQMD that was in place for the past 10 years or so, has really cut the smog levels way down, and including the number of smog alerts.  I live in the San Gabriel Valley, near the foothills of the San Gabriel Mtns(10 miles east of Los Angeles), and when I move into my house 20 years ago, during the summer time the smog is so bad that I could barely see the mountains, which was about 5 miles away.  But the cost was tremendous.  We lost lots of jobs and the price of gasoline is doubled what is nationally.

My dad is in his 60s now, he said that when he was a kid, the pollution was a LOT worse, always a thick layer of smog through the whole valley, because people were burning wood stoves and stuff. He said the air we have these days has never been cleaner.

I remember something amusing on the news a couple years back, but it quickly disappeared and nobody ever saw it again: NASA or somebody had launched some satellite to measure global air pollution, probably an infrared thing. Anyway, the first day it sent back a bunch of data, and it showed the whole north pacific, from central China to Utah, and there was this big blob of pollution all across China's east coast. Then the tradewinds funneled it all down to a certain latitude and blew it across the pacific and dumped it directly on... LA! The whole US was clean as a whistle compared to China belching it out to dump on us.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:08:58 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My dad is in his 60s now, he said that when he was a kid, the pollution was a LOT worse, always a thick layer of smog through the whole valley, because people were burning wood stoves and stuff. He said the air we have these days has never been cleaner.

I remember something amusing on the news a couple years back, but it quickly disappeared and nobody ever saw it again: NASA or somebody had launched some satellite to measure global air pollution, probably an infrared thing. Anyway, the first day it sent back a bunch of data, and it showed the whole north pacific, from central China to Utah, and there was this big blob of pollution all across China's east coast. Then the tradewinds funneled it all down to a certain latitude and blew it across the pacific and dumped it directly on... LA! The whole US was clean as a whistle compared to China belching it out to dump on us.

Wouldn't doubt that at all.  The problem here in S. Calif is that we are in a huge basin surrounded by mountains, and whatever air pollution we get whether local or from China has a very difficult time making it over the local moutains and prevents it from being dissapated into the atmosphere.  Also the effects of ocean complicates the picture also.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:39:16 PM EDT
[#23]
This guy cleary has not enough to do.
A Call To Impeach GWB Jr

SF Supervisor Chris Daly wants  George Bush and Dick Cheney held accountable for everything from the war to wiretaps. So he sponsored a resolution demanding their ouster. And chances are good it will pass. Matier & Ross.

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:14:41 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

One of the biggest pollutors was the Kaiser steel mill in Fontucky (Fontana).
When Kaiser sold it to the Chinese the air cleared up.
Now the Chinese are polluting themselves with it.  

Of course the enviro-nazis know that banning 2-stroke dirt bikes and leaf-blowers is the real reason why the air in the LA Basin has gotten better....
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:34:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Both Feinswine and Boxer are from SF.  What does that tell you?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:26:44 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mendocino is in a class by itself.  throw out the pot farmers and leave the loggers that have been put out of work by the greenies and I would bet it is about as conservative as you will ever find.

Problem is, alot of the loggers are also now part time pot farmers
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:10:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Judging by what the TX guys bitch about, shouldn't Austin, TX be on your list?

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:17:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Here's the proof:

www.zombietime.com/
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:51:29 PM EDT
[#29]
San Francisco is way ahead of LA, but Santa Monica, West Hollywood, and perhaps the Marina del Rey areas can be in the same area as maybe, Oakland. But SF and Berkeley would be hard to beat.

Dianne Feinstein is a real Californian. Barbara Boxer is from New York... she settled in the Bay area in the 60s.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top