Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/3/2006 9:37:41 AM EDT
I saw in the Chronicle this morning an ad for CBS channel 5 news:

"The government tracking device that could be in your next driver's license.

The Homeland Security technology that can track every move you make.

An Eyewitness News Special Report.

R.F.I.D.

Tonight 11pm

(eye logo) 5"

and it's got a picture of an RFID chip with a Texas Instruments logo on it. This RFID stuff is the same thing as the stickers with the chip in them attached to retail merchandise that sets off an alarm if you try to take it out the front door. Apparently Homeland Security is looking into them for use in ID and stuff. Yeah I know, this ad is in the Chronicle, but I'm all for smaller government.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:21:28 AM EDT
[#1]
They also make something similar to implant in your animals in the event they get lost.  Typically they are very short range though, not something that could be used for tracking via satellite or something like that.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:35:14 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
They also make something similar to implant in your animals in the event they get lost.  Typically they are very short range though, not something that could be used for tracking via satellite or something like that.

[Tightening my tinfoil hat]

Well, just think if a transmitter/reciever were placed on every cell tower in the USA.......

[wrinkles the tinfoil hat into a ball and tosses it in the garbage]

Honestly, if they were put in there it would be a great reason to leave my ID in my safe at home at all times and only carry a photo copy of it.  "Here Officer, the original is locked up for safe keeping.   With all the advanced technology and cost involved in making them I didn't want to risk losing it.  Go ahead and call it in."
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:43:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:03:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:41:43 AM EDT
[#5]
RFID chips in drivers licenses isn't thatr big issue IMO because you can put them in a metal sheat in your wallet. The electromagnetic waves won't penetrate it and it is unreadable as long as you don't pull it out (which is the same as the current licenses).

Something to watch out for is RFID chips in license plates:
http://www.rfidnews.org/news/2004/06/10/rfidenabled-license-plates-to-identify-uk-vehicles/

AFAIK there are some trials going on in the US too.

Think of the tracking and revenue capabilities (speed limit enforcement).
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:12:10 AM EDT
[#6]
It always amazed me that in California...this is treated like a privacy intrusion as well as maps to registered sex offenders....but they think nothing of keeping databases on how many handguns you own or whether or not you own so-called assault weapons.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top