Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2006 11:57:51 AM EDT
I put the pistol grip on my stripped LAUER lower yesterday to see how it looked with the RR stock. The screw for the grip does not go in all the way. It turns 1/4 of the way then stops. It seems either the screw is to big or the hole in the lower is to small. Any ideas on what I can do?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:05:05 PM EDT
[#1]
First we'll presume that you have the magazine fixed in place already..

Have you tried screwing down the grip screw without having the grip attached? Maybe the finishing was a little thick, or possibly you were cross-threading the screw.

Try installing the screw by itself first and post back if you have the same problems.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:19:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes I do have a fixed magazine in place.

Secondly I tried what you said. I took off the grip and tried the screw by itself and still only goes in 1/4 of the way and stops. I tried the screw on another lower I have and it seems to go in fine. I guess you were right and the coating is to thick. Any tool I can use to fix this problem?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:40:33 PM EDT
[#3]
A tap will clean up the threads, but I don't know the thread pitch of the screw hole.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:08:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Clean out the hole with some CLP and a pick, etc.  Use a dental pick-style tool to clean the threads.  Excess coating may not stick on well and may clean up nicely.

Lube threads on bolt and hole w/a bit of CLP too

I went thru this with my ASA lowers 7 years ago.

Bill Wiese
San Jose
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:57:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all your help guys.

Tried the CLP but still had the same problem.
So I used a tap and it cleaned it right up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top