Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2006 8:58:15 AM EDT
If I bought one of the off-list ar lowers from out of state before they are added to the list, would I be able to register it when it is added even though I didn't buy it through a dealer in state? Is it legal to buy a rifle out of state that isn't banned and bring it in state without filling out paperwork?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:13:01 AM EDT
According to the DOJ website, it is NOT necessarry to register a longgun when moving to the PRK. Since an offlist stripped lower is just a long gun, my opinonis that you should be able to:
1. import it WHEN YOU RELOCATE to the PRK (did you register your handguns as required?)
2. build it into a fixed mag rifle.
3. register it when your legally imported long gun becomes a AW.

I'm not a lawyer, but i read all the laws.

Anyone else with a differing view????
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:17:34 AM EDT
Also, As far as I remember it is NOT legal to buy a firearm from out of state while a resident of PRK.

Federal law allows a rifle purchase from out of state, it but Kali law prohibits ANY firearm purchase from out of state. Don't do it. Most FFLs won't even talk to you if you show a PRK ID, some shops will question you if you have Kali plates on your car.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:17:50 AM EDT
I'm already a california resident. From what I can tell, its legal for a california resident to buy a rifle ftf in nevada, as long as the rifle is legal for sale in california also. What I'd like to find out is if I can bring it into the state without breaking the law?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:19:01 AM EDT
Wow, even though its a legal gun in cali? Thanks for the info. Thats exactly why I checked here first.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:07:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/1/2006 10:08:45 AM EDT by bwiese]

Originally Posted By Rocknut:
From what I can tell, its legal for a california resident to buy a rifle ftf in nevada, as long as the rifle is legal for sale in california also. What I'd like to find out is if I can bring it into the state without breaking the law?

If you're a part-time resident of NV, -maybe. But that's very shaky.

CA residents must have just about all firearms purchases run thru a CA FFL, do a 10-day wait, etc. They just cannot 'buy' guns out of state even if the guns are legal in CA- not only does the gun have to be legal, the transaction has to be legal.

If you see a cooperating FFL in NV with an off-list lower, have it sent to a cooperating FFL in CA and begin the DROS/4473 papers immediately.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:12:06 AM EDT
Thank you!

I don't want to break the law. I was hoping to beat the deadline for buying one of the off-list lowers. I've already got a fab-10 so I'll stick with it for now. I'm hoping to build an fal next.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:11:29 PM EDT

I don't want to break the law. I was hoping to beat the deadline for buying one of the off-list lowers.

Well you still may have a bit of time to get an off-list AR lower. If you're gonna do it, go do it NOW. Clock is ticking.

I've already got a fab-10 so I'll stick with it for now. I'm hoping to build an fal next.

The FAB10 will never get declared as an AW nor will you ever be able to legally modify it to have a detachable magazine.

Only a straight off-list AR lower will be able to do this.

Bill W.
San Jose
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:51:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/2/2006 11:54:44 PM EDT by Barrelburner]

I'm already a california resident. From what I can tell, its legal for a california resident to buy a rifle ftf in nevada, as long as the rifle is legal for sale in california also. What I'd like to find out is if I can bring it into the state without breaking the law?

NO! NO! NO! non-ffl-holders cannot buy from a non-ffl-holder in another state. Firearms transactions involving residents of different states must go through a FFL. This is federal law.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:58:44 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Barrelburner:

NO! NO! NO! non-ffl-holders cannot buy from a non-ffl-holder in another state. Firearms transactions involving residents of different states must go through a FFL. This is federal law.

+1

Read 18 USC 922, and it will clearly state exactly this.

Also, when selling to an out of state customer direct(direct as in you have to physically be in the store for this transaction), the dealer has to abide by the laws of both states, so they will have to do the DROS, 10 day wait, etc.

Bill is correct, the best way to do it is get the NV FFL to send it to the CA FFL.

Top Top