Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2006 3:33:42 PM EDT
Hey guys,

I am trying to plan a possible camping [trip] near Joshua Tree (visit it during the day).  Does anyone know of a good location to target shoot and possibly camp on BLM land.

Directions, GPS corridinates or location information is greatly appreciated.  Please keep in mind that I will be using a mini van to access this location.  No 4x4 roads please.  I have a topo map and GPS for reference.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:53:36 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Hey guys,

I am trying to plan a possible camping tree near Joshua Tree (visit it during the day).  Does anyone know of a good location to target shoot and possibly camp on BLM land.

Directions, GPS corridinates or location information is greatly appreciated.  Please keep in mind that I will be using a mini van to access this location.  No 4x4 roads please.  I have a topo map and GPS for reference.

Thanks.

Do you mean "camping TRIP" not "camping TREE"?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:27:56 PM EDT
[#2]
You probably have to get out past the Patton Museum at Chiriaco Summit to find suitable shootable BLM land.  Although I have seen folks camping in RVs on the dirt roads just off the road in from the south side just out the south entrance, there was nothing in the way of suitable backdrops until you were well inside the park boundaries.  (I'ld also bet that was private property too)

My impression is that most if not all of the land relatively close in on the north and west sides is private property, and not reachable by passenger car type vehicles, plus off to the northwest you probably get into San Bernardino County no shooting areas.

So that leaves off to the east side.  Take plenty of water, as even most of the Park campgrounds are dry. Also a shovel and some extra matting to help get out of sand traps.

If you haven't seen it the Patton Museum has a very impressive 3d map that the Metropolitan Water District put together when they surveyed most of that area for the water projects.  They probably also have information on the roads left from the War and water projects.

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:29:30 PM EDT
[#3]
You probably have to get out past the Patton Museum at Chiriaco Summit to find suitable shootable BLM land.  Although I have seen folks camping in RVs on the dirt roads just off the road in from the south side just out the south entrance, there was nothing in the way of suitable backdrops until you were well inside the park boundaries.  (I'ld also bet that was private property too)

My impression is that most if not all of the land relatively close in on the north and west sides is private property, and not reachable by passenger car type vehicles, plus off to the northwest you probably get into San Bernardino County no shooting areas.

So that leaves off to the east side.  Take plenty of water, as even most of the Park campgrounds are dry. Also a shovel and some extra matting to help get out of sand traps.

If you haven't seen it the Patton Museum has a very impressive 3d map that the Metropolitan Water District put together when they surveyed most of that area for the water projects.  They probably also have information on the roads left from the War and water projects.

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:32:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:23:16 PM EDT
[#5]
ooops,   yeah camping trip.  post edited
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:58:52 AM EDT
[#6]
The entrance that leads to geology tour road (not passable by minivan) is a good place to shoot, but I would not even consider camping there. It is unmarked where it meets the paved road outside of Indio.  its name is berdoo cyn and is acessesable by Dillion rd http://www.joshua.tree.national-park.com/map.htm  Go to 33 47' 58.33" by 116 11' 08.03" to access the road. A minivan can make it up the road well into the park boundry, but you will not be able to get through some of the rocky sections that go all the way into the park. that is 4x4 only. Most of the area around the park is covered in broken glass and trash, as desert dwellers are by far the trashyist folks in the US. You will need to get a little ways away from the Park proper to find good camping. Anywhere close to the park is going to have a high impact feel to it. Good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top