Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2006 9:34:06 PM EDT
I called up one dealer hoping to score some lowers but they no longer will do transfers.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:36:27 AM EDT
[#1]
The scare tactics are working.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:48:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Gee according to some guys here, there are thousands available.  Guess you don't know the right magic words or right people.  Notice nobody has had the intestinal fortitude to post where to get them.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:57:53 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Gee according to some guys here, there are thousands available.  Guess you don't know the right magic words or right people.  Notice nobody has had the intestinal fortitude to post where to get them.

It's not a matter of intestinal fortitude at all.

If posted, these smaller FFLs get mobbed and get a zillion phone calls and it's really disruptive to the rest of their business.   We've seen this happen a dozen times.  These FFLs get tired of this, esp for a lower-margin item (though prices are rising) and back away due to workload.  Having 100+ people show up at your small gun shop, pawn shop, etc. at once is unnerving.

Calguns.NET has lots of structured, coordinated group buys in NorCal and SoCal areas...

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:36:51 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I made the decision early on that I would by one "noban" lower when and if they are available at mainstream gunshops and at a  reasonable price.  A couple of my friends have bought some though and it appears that there is a small group of Kitchen Table FFLs and Pawn Shops that are making good money selling many lowers at greatly inflated prices over MSRP.

There are places to buy them, but your gonna pay a lot and it wont be at Big 5 or Turners.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:56:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I always buy all my AR stuff at BIG 5 and Turners.....................those places are only good for fishing gear and ammo sometimes
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:09:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I made the decision early on that I would by one "noban" lower when and if they are available at mainstream gunshops and at a  reasonable price.  A couple of my friends have bought some though and it appears that there is a small group of Kitchen Table FFLs and Pawn Shops that are making good money selling many lowers at greatly inflated prices over MSRP.

Then you likely won't get one.
Supply and demand!   The CA situation is even raising prices on lowers nationwide.

In 1998 - during the First California AR Craze - I bought 3 bare Colt lowers from RGuns for $175 or $180 each - and then had to pay 10% FFL markup/$50 minimum plus DROS fees and sales tax.

But you should be able to get a lower, though for $150-$175ish + DROS fees.  Sometimes the higher priced ones reflect two FFLs having to make some money - one outside of CA buying from vendor, and your FFL inside CA doing the transfer to you - plus allocated overnight shipping charges.  

Anyone buying a lower from out of state and arranging shipment to CA should now be doing FedEx (etc.) "First Overnight" and beginning DROS the moment it arrives at your FFL and is logged into his bound book.  You don't wanna end up in the situation where the lower is declared AW between the time of ordering and time of arrival at FFL, so the overnight shipping fee helps minimize this risk.

Bill Wiese
San Jose CA

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:13:52 AM EDT
[#7]
There's deals out there. Ya' just gotta' keep your eyes and ears open. Keep trying.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:41:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Supply and demand!   The CA situation is even raising prices on lowers nationwide.

In 1998 - during the First California AR Craze - I bought 3 bare Colt lowers from RGuns for $175 or $180 each - and then had to pay 10% FFL markup/$50 minimum plus DROS fees and sales tax.

The last time i bought lowers, 1999, i paid $79.00 for OLy's and $99.00 for Bushmasters and Eagles.  That was at a mainstream gunshop, Gold Coast Guns.  One $15.00 DROS covered them all.  I bought so many I ended up selling some before the ban.

Obviously Big-5 is never going to carry these, but in 1993 you could buy a MAK-90 at Big-5 for $205.00
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:07:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The last time i bought lowers, 1999, i paid $79.00 for OLy's and $99.00 for Bushmasters and Eagles.  That was at a mainstream gunshop, Gold Coast Guns.  One $15.00 DROS covered them all.  I bought so many I ended up selling some before the ban.

Obviously Big-5 is never going to carry these, but in 1993 you could buy a MAK-90 at Big-5 for $205.00

Good one.  Bushmaster and several others were sold out or 3+ months (unpredictable!) backordered.  I couldn't locate any in the SF bay area in mid-1998.   Also ended up getting 2 ASA lowers in 1999 for $129+ 10% FFL fee and DROS+tax.

Anyway, FFL costs + plus ordinary cost of biz have gone way up since 1999.    That $99 receiver price inflates to $157 after 6 years of 8% growth.  Add in $20 FedEx fee to get it there before any DOJ naming action and $175ish ain't an unreasonable price.  

Bill W
San Jose CA

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:02:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I suspect that thousands have been sold recently, and tens to hundreds are still available now. Hundreds more may come in to the state in the near future, depending on if/when the roster gets updated. If you're having any trouble finding one or more, then head over to:

calguns.net

I got mine through one of the recent group buys. I DROSed them at a nearby pawn shop 10 days ago, and picked them up today. While I was picking them up today, there was a guy ahead of me who was starting the DROS on one, and a guy behind me who was picking up three. The FFL was not only doing transfers of group buy lowers, but also had his own stash of billet lowers in stock and for sale. I think he said that he had already transferred around 300. Lowers are definitely available without much effort at searching.

I've gathered that it's considered bad form to post FFL info publicly here because they can get over-run and annoyed, so I won't publicly post any names, phone numbers, etc. However, the dealer who's running the SoCal group buys is in Highland (near San Bernardino), and can be pretty easily found with a brief search over on calguns.net in the forum I linked to above (hint: look in the sticky threads about group buys). I believe they're also selling lowers to walk-ins, subject to availability.

The pawn shop who processed my transfer and who has some billet lowers is in Riverside. Email me if you want their name and phone number. Please don't IM me, because I may not notice the message for a while.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:08:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Brings tears to my eyes I love the smell of comerce in the morning.

Quoted:

Quoted:

I suspect that thousands have been sold recently, and tens to hundreds are still available now. Hundreds more may come in to the state in the near future, depending on if/when the roster gets updated. If you're having any trouble finding one or more, then head over to:

calguns.net

I got mine through one of the recent group buys. I DROSed them at a nearby pawn shop 10 days ago, and picked them up today. While I was picking them up today, there was a guy ahead of me who was starting the DROS on one, and a guy behind me who was picking up three. The FFL was not only doing transfers of group buy lowers, but also had his own stash of billet lowers in stock and for sale. I think he said that he had already transferred around 300. Lowers are definitely available without much effort at searching.

I've gathered that it's considered bad form to post FFL info publicly here because they can get over-run and annoyed, so I won't publicly post any names, phone numbers, etc. However, the dealer who's running the SoCal group buys is in Highland (near San Bernardino), and can be pretty easily found with a brief search over on calguns.net in the forum I linked to above (hint: look in the sticky threads about group buys). I believe they're also selling lowers to walk-ins, subject to availability.

The pawn shop who processed my transfer and who has some billet lowers is in Riverside. Email me if you want their name and phone number. Please don't IM me, because I may not notice the message for a while.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:21:40 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There are places to buy them, but your gonna pay a lot and it wont be at Big 5 or Turners.

www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=26985

Dont tell me- you dont want to put the miles on your car?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:52:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But you should be able to get a lower, though for $150-$175ish + DROS fees.  Sometimes the higher priced ones reflect two FFLs having to make some money - one outside of CA buying from vendor, and your FFL inside CA doing the transfer to you - plus allocated overnight shipping charges.  

Anyone buying a lower from out of state and arranging shipment to CA should now be doing FedEx (etc.) "First Overnight" and beginning DROS the moment it arrives at your FFL and is logged into his bound book.  You don't wanna end up in the situation where the lower is declared AW between the time of ordering and time of arrival at FFL, so the overnight shipping fee helps minimize this risk.

Bill Wiese
San Jose CA

in 1999 i got offered 1800$ for one pre-ban  (complete) by an FFL
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:30:48 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=26985

Dont tell me- you dont want to put the miles on your car?

If you know a so cal dealer who has lowers in stock for walk in customers, at a price no higher than MSRP (preferably lower) and charges reasonable DROS fees, IM me.

I already know where i can get lowers that sell for $115.00 elsehwere for $200-250.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:33:17 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bill Wiese
San Jose CA

in 1999 i got offered 1800$ for one pre-ban  (complete) by an FFL

Damn! and I thought i over paid for the NIB Colt Sporter Match HBAR (with correct front push pin) that I got for $1,500.00 for my wife Xmas of 1999. Did have to cought up $25.00 PPT fee and $15.00 DROS at turners in Orange for that one though.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:23:04 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

If you know a so cal dealer who has lowers in stock for walk in customers, at a price no higher than MSRP (preferably lower) and charges reasonable DROS fees, IM me.

I already know where i can get lowers that sell for $115.00 elsehwere for $200-250.

So, I think from your previous posts that you already have pre-CaliBan ARs.  If so, fine.  For anyone that doesn't have one and wants one, I really don't think this is the time to be a penny pincher, it's only a few $.  

Hell, what's $100 more even, does it really impact you that much?  If so, then this isn't the hobby to be in.  By the time you build up a good upper you'll never even think of that increased cost in a lower.

Also, getting into the game late has it's down sides, like price.  I got mine back in December, two of them for $300 out the door.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top