Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2006 2:46:27 PM EDT
LA Times Story

Sorry if this is a repost.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:01:05 PM EDT
[#1]
"Improperly checked out and forgot to return the shotgun"!

Sounds like a nice and polite way to describe stealing.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:26:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Not too bad of a shink rate for not having bought any new shotguns for 20 years.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:58:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:04:45 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

ETA: IIRC, Turner's had some 870 police trade-ins a few years ago.

Now that if funny!!
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:05:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Meh, I just don't understand why this should even be considered a story.  Missing blocks of C4, now maybe there's a story, a missing shotgun?  So freaking what?  So a few more pheasants will die...bfd.  It's not as if a ballistics lab could trace a shotgun to a crime anyway.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:36:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Owens said the department does not keep a formal inventory of those weapons...

They just want to keep track of our weapons..

I wonder how many cops are theives?

If they are indeed stealing firearms, and are indeed a fraternity, should they be prosecuted under

the RICO act?  
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 2:29:58 PM EDT
[#7]
This does not surpise me.  My agency has not bought new shotguns in decades. The shotguns are not checked out by the officers, they are simply left in the patrol cars, with a few spares in the armory.  If one is damaged in a car crash or shooting its sent to the armory for destruction. If its used in a shooting its sent to the crime lab.  If the range staff needs some for training they pull them from various cars and armories as needed.  After the class they wont necessarily go back ot the same armories or cars.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top