Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2006 7:36:15 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:05:44 AM EDT
[#1]
As long as you also didn't have a flash suppressor, forward grip, or telescoping stock you'd be fine.  Just remember, if you have a non-detachable magazine, it completely takes it out of consideration as an "assault weapon".  If it is detachable, you can't have a single characteristic (PG, flash sup, tele stock, forward grip).  As for having parts laying around, I believe it's completely legal.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:24:35 AM EDT
[#2]
i think an evil featureless rifle is the way to go. i see 2 problems though.
1 the pistol grip holds the saftey selector detent and spring. so you will not be able to use the saftey. i think you could thread the detent hole and trim the spring. add a set screw and everything should work.
2 the part of the reciever that the pistol grip goes on may be considered a pistol grip by the doj. i would get a letter from them on this.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:18:45 AM EDT
[#3]
How about trim a $5 a2 grip flush with the trigger guard?
That would keep the web of the hand above the bottom of the trigger guard, while in the firing position.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:58:07 AM EDT
[#4]
IIRC this has been discussed before, cutting down the pistol grip. Consensus was it is sketchy.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:09:57 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
How about trim a $5 a2 grip flush with the trigger guard?
That would keep the web of the hand above the bottom of the trigger guard, while in the firing position.

Not according to the CA DOJ. The web of the hand has to be above the TOP of the trigger.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:14:28 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
i think an evil featureless rifle is the way to go. i see 2 problems though.
1 the pistol grip holds the saftey selector detent and spring. so you will not be able to use the saftey. i think you could thread the detent hole and trim the spring. add a set screw and everything should work.

It's been done and it does work.

2 the part of the reciever that the pistol grip goes on may be considered a pistol grip by the doj. i would get a letter from them on this.

Yeah, kinda' sketchy.

If your hands are big enough you CAN make the stretch from buttstock to trigger. I can.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:34:36 AM EDT
[#7]
http://www.fabten.com/what's_new.htm

doesnt the PGless design have to be approved by DOJ as CA compliant?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:38:06 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

It hasn't been aproved by CA DOJ. The ATF is US BATFE.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:07:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The approval with DOJ is to insure the web of the hand is above the imaginary line.  The intent is to prevent legal issues and arrest by having DOJ paperwork approving this non-pistol grip.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:33:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The approval with DOJ is to insure the web of the hand is above the imaginary line.  The intent is to prevent legal issues and arrest by having DOJ paperwork approving this non-pistol grip.

And there's the pic the DOJ put out after SB23 showing a standard stocked rifle and a AR and where that line is. Even a bare AR lower has a nub below that line. You spends ya money and takes your chances.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:30:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm really suprised no one has redesigned an ar reciever that moves the trigger up and back to a position where you could get on it with a traditional stock.  Seems like it would be a pretty simple mod.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:40:52 PM EDT
[#12]
You guys really need to check calguns more often, over there we're on the cutting edge of the off list revolution.  Not only has someone there already successfully built a non-pistol grip .223 on an unlisted lower that accepts detachable mags, he even has a RANGE REPORT to go with it!!!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:43:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
You guys really need to check calguns more often, over there we're on the cutting edge of the off list revolution.  Not only has someone there already successfully built a non-pistol grip .223 on an unlisted lower that accepts detachable mags, he even has a RANGE REPORT to go with it!!!

So how much would it cost for you to post a link
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:56:15 PM EDT
[#14]
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=26904
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:07:39 AM EDT
[#15]
It's a start, but there's gotta be a better design than that.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top