Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/8/2006 6:29:08 AM EDT
We just received orders to transfer to CA with the Navy and have heard horror stories about the gun laws there. What impact are these gun laws going to have on my firearm choices? I currently have a Beretta m-9, Remington 870 with Mesa AR stock, Para Ordnance p-14, Bushy AR, MAK-90, Keltec p-11, and Taurus 145 millineum pro. Are these legal? What will have to do once I get there? Thanks.

Tom
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:20:25 AM EDT
Check this out:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=11&t=212690&page=1

Where are you going to be stationed?

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:05:17 AM EDT
Branch Medical Clinic Barstow. Thanks.

Tom
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:35:37 AM EDT
Seeing how you're going to be stationed there, here's one or two of my favorite jokes about your next door neighbors (Yermo).

Did you know that the tooth brush was invented in Yermo? If it was invented anywhere else it would've been called a teeth brush! You'll get a laugh from it when you get to Barstow, the surrounding area (desert) is/was Meth central. Or the other, what do you get with a room full of Yermo women? A full set of teeth.

If you're into four wheeling the area around Barstow is some of the best in Kali.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:23:12 AM EDT
I am really looking forward to riding my dirt bike in the desert. I am just concerned that the man might try to take 1 or more of my guns. Thanks.

Tom
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:09:24 AM EDT
Tom,

Don't fret. Active duty mil can register AW's, no problem.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:56:02 AM EDT

Originally Posted By thook:
I am really looking forward to riding my dirt bike in the desert. I am just concerned that the man might try to take 1 or more of my guns. Thanks.

Tom

Shit, you are golden with your guns.

You're fuxxored with your dirt bike though.

Is it a pre-ban or a post-ban dirt bike?
You can only ride in certain areas during certain times of the year with either red or green stickered dirt bikes.

Off the top of my head the off-road areas near Barstow are Stoddard Valley, El Mirage and Rasor.

Some "facts".....

In 1997 1994 emmission standards went into effect, but were not enforced until 1998.

These regulations were implemented for off-road motorcycles and all-terrain vehicles manufactured on or after January 1, 1997.

The regulations are being enforced begining with the 1998 model year.

These regulations require all off-highway recreational vehicles sold in California, model year 1998 and later, to be certified by the ARB.

New dirt bikes and ATVs that meet California's emission standards are eligible for OHV Green Sticker registration.

The 2002 and older non-complying dirt bikes and ATVs are eligible for OHV Green Sticker registration.

The 2003 and newer non-complying dirt bikes and ATVs are eligible for OHV Red Sticker registration.

There are two types of certification available, a compliant certification and a non-compliant certification.

A vehicle certified compliant meets the emission standards set forth by the regulation and when registered will receive a green sticker from the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).

The green sticker allows the vehicle to be ridden in any designated riding area at any time during the year.

To facilitate enforcement, all 2002 model year and older OHRVs will receive a green registration sticker from the DMV.

A vehicle certified non-compliant does not meet the emission standards set forth by the regulation and when registered by the DMV it will receive a red sticker beginning with model year 2003 OHRVs.

A red sticker limits the use of the vehicle according to the regulations.

Riding OHRVs with a Red Sticker may be seasonal depending on the area you ride.

Persons Moving to California: (Including Military Personnel)

If you are moving to California from another state, you may register a new federally certified vehicle if it was first registered by you in your home state, or for military personnel, in the state of your last military service.

When applying for vehicle registration in California, you must provide evidence of you vehicle's
previous registration.

A temporary operating permit is acceptable proof.

Nonresident Military Personnel Operating a Vehicle in California

Nonresident military personnel, and both military or civilian members of NATO who are not citizens of the United States are permitted to operate a vehicle in this state with valid license plates from either:

the individual's home state or country or

the state or country where the individual was regularly assigned and stationed when the license plates were issued, if the following requirements are met:

The license plates displayed on the vehicle are valid plates issued by a foreign jurisdiction.

The vehicle registration and license plates are issued to the military person or spouse of the military person.

The vehicle registration and license plates are issued by the foreign jurisdiction where the military person was last regularly assigned and stationed for duty by military orders or a jurisdiction claimed by the nonresident military person as the permanent state of residence.

If the vehicle is a motor vehicle, the owner or driver has insurance.

Nonresident OHV Permits
All vehicles operated off-highway on Public Lands in California are required to be street-licensed or registered as an off-highway vehicle (OHV).

If you are visiting California from another state and your vehicle does not have current registration from your home state, you must purchase a California Nonresident OHV Use Permit (sticker) before you go off-roading.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:17:19 PM EDT
Thank you very much for all that very helpful information. My dirt bike is preban (01 Yamaha WR 426), so I should be fine there. Hopefully my bushmaster will fare as well.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:36:36 PM EDT
Lots of offroading, dirtbiking and shooting around where you will be that and trainwatching are about the only things to do. You are about an hour and a half from the Orange County beaches, depending on traffic about an hour from the Big Bear Ski areas, and 4-5 hours from the High Sierras which are an outdoor paradise.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:37:27 AM EDT
Barstow?

Damn.

Well...they have outlet shopping nearby.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:07:27 AM EDT
It looks like 2 hours to Vegas too.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:35:04 AM EDT

a little more than that, not much though, middle of the day and middle of the night.

Weekend rush hour, when a minor accident occurs it will seem like forever, but will be actually longer. With one minor exception of a minor backroad in the middle there are no usable alternate routes that do not leave 15 at just about Barstow and Vegas. Ask any poor soul that has sat on top of the mountains looking at the lights of beautiful Baker shimmering in the distance.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:04:53 AM EDT
Didn't even know we had a branch medical clinic in Barstow, but of course the Navy-Marine Corps team. You're an HM right?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:53:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By PaDanby:

a little more than that, not much though, middle of the day and middle of the night.

Weekend rush hour, when a minor accident occurs it will seem like forever, but will be actually longer. With one minor exception of a minor backroad in the middle there are no usable alternate routes that do not leave 15 at just about Barstow and Vegas. Ask any poor soul that has sat on top of the mountains looking at the lights of beautiful Baker shimmering in the distance.

Don't drive to Vegas on Friday evening/night and don't drive to Cali. on Sunday. I drive it every week and if you avoid these times it's usually a breeze. 2 hours is right on the money for me, only exceeding the speed limit slightly
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:44:55 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:53:04 PM EDT
Military status: My wife is on active duty with the Navy Nurse Corps and I am a disabled vet (former Navy Gunner's Mate) and Registered Nurse in the Emergency Room. She will help manage the BMC at Marine Corps Logistics Base Barstow. We have a 4 year old son, so we are looking forward to the quiet small town environment. I hear a lot of people talk about the meth issue. What is the deal with that. Are there any precautions I should take to identify and protect my family from these individuals? Thanks.
Top Top