Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2006 9:28:27 AM EDT
With all the hububaloo going on with the recievers, I was wondering something. Who is to tell us that we have to use a 10 round mag.  Why not take a standard GI 30 rounder and fill it with epoxy below the carrier so that it could only be loaded with 10 but have the "ubertactical" look that we all crave? The issues of pinning would still be in effect, but we wouldn't have to get gouged buying the Bushy 10's.  Just my 2c worth.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:00:24 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
With all the hububaloo going on with the recievers, I was wondering something. Who is to tell us that we have to use a 10 round mag.  Why not take a standard GI 30 rounder and fill it with epoxy below the carrier so that it could only be loaded with 10 but have the "ubertactical" look that we all crave? The issues of pinning would still be in effect, but we wouldn't have to get gouged buying the Bushy 10's.  Just my 2c worth.

Why take the chance on something that might be illegal?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:01:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:22:54 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
That's possible as it simply taking a 20 or 30 rounder and cutting it down. I took a 30 round and cut it down to a 22 round as an experiment - works fine. Just make sure that you're comfortable that nobody is going to manage to squeeze another round into your altered magazine.

Thanks Paul, that is what I figured.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:31:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Any suggestion for 10 round AR mags? Looks like such mags on market are pretty crappy.

DPMS: polymer 10 round.
Colt: 8 or 9 round? Are they good?

Anything else?

Or is it better to cut down from 20 rounders? Anyone please post a DIY guide.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:55:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm still stuck on the idea of filling up mags with epoxy. That stuff gets harder than stone, it isn't really all that fluid (to be able to leak out) and I think if one was to do it without getting any on the spring, it should work great. But I do like Paul's advise about being SURE only ten can go in. Otherwise I think the only quality out there is going to be the bushmasters.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:49:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Pinning a 30rnd is ok as long as it only accepts 10rnds.  Just remember that it has to be altered in a permanent way, and that everyone will ask you about it.  Right now my opinion is that the Bushmaster 10rnd mags are the best (the CA version).  The magazine is of high quality and is good to go with the ATF as well (so their website says).  Also think about clearance of the upper receiver and mag if you have accessories added.  Pinning is easy and permanent when done right, so be careful you don't drill too far into the right side of the receiver.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:03:57 PM EDT
[#7]
if you pin it you also can easily convert it back to a real AR if you move out of state?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top