Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2006 12:57:31 PM EDT
Im looking for a place to shoot , not shur where to look, there are a few ranges in orange county that sound decent but they all have some special conditions to use the range, like firing 1 round per second, no double taps, 1 round in your rifle at a time...etc..

just enuff rules to keep the knuckle heads from hurting themselves, but leaving some, without the ability to have fun.

is there a place that you can go to have fun and be safe? that covers pistol and rifle? that can aslo help with getting a CCW?

maybe a private club off the beaten path ?

and is it legal to shoot in the desert anywhere? are there designated areas for this? I find myself in the desert allot and wish i could do some plinking when work is done..

lots of questions but, I figured Id ask before starting checking for myself

thanx in advance..

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:43:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:40:18 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Click this

I have gone to a supervised range three times in the last ten years - twice at Uncle Sam's instance with his ammo and 3-round brust weapons, and once to Burro Canyon to dispell the rumor that I don't exist - or that I'm really a pimple faced 135 pound 16-year old kid.

The BLM property here is wonderful. While living up in Washington I struggled to find 80 yards to shoot across that wasn't covered in trees. Here I can get 800 yards along my favorite mining road and know that someone isn't going to be down range or wander out into my lane of fire.

My private range:

i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/paul1960/Weapons/Milesandmiles.jpg

Yeah yeah yeah, keep rubbin our damn faces in it...

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:43:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Tag.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:38:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Click this

I have gone to a supervised range three times in the last ten years - twice at Uncle Sam's instance with his ammo and 3-round brust weapons, and once to Burro Canyon to dispell the rumor that I don't exist - or that I'm really a pimple faced 135 pound 16-year old kid.

The BLM property here is wonderful. While living up in Washington I struggled to find 80 yards to shoot across that wasn't covered in trees. Here I can get 800 yards along my favorite mining road and know that someone isn't going to be down range or wander out into my lane of fire.

My private range:

i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/paul1960/Weapons/Milesandmiles.jpg

sooooooo, when should we all be stopping by ?

by the way...I hate you
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:15:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Try Burro Canyon.  Very nice folks with private ranges for rent as well.

http://www.burrocanyon.com/index.html
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:22:32 PM EDT
[#6]
There's a BLM land thread floating around somewhere, concerning shooting on BLM land.  Succinctly, in the Mojave Sesert, and leaving out some areas, any BLM land north of I-40 and CA-58, is open to shooting.  There is at least one Tortoise Preserve out there and there are pockets of private land.  No shooing within a certain distance of roads, structures, etc.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:16:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
There's a BLM land thread floating around somewhere, concerning shooting on BLM land.  Succinctly, in the Mojave Sesert, and leaving out some areas, any BLM land north of I-40 and CA-58, is open to shooting.  There is at least one Tortoise Preserve out there and there are pockets of private land.  No shooing within a certain distance of roads, structures, etc.

BLM?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:56:45 PM EDT
[#8]
The Desert Tortoise area is by Cal City, stay very far away. If you see a Dersert Tortoise coming at you, RUN LIKE HELL! They are more dangerous then any other animal in the desert, they can land you in jail, have you car/truck impounded, fine you...

Hey Paul,
Just 800 yards? Mine goes out to 2000+ www.daplane.com/50bmg/
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:40:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BLM?

Bureau of Land Management
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:29:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I used to shoot at OnTarget in Laguna Nigel quite a bit...atleast two time a week...they have weekend IDPA matches too....Once they get you know you and what not often times they will let you go in the unused bay and cut loose if you want.  I think year memberships were like 125...well worth it if you shoot a lot.  AR's with frangible are ok here btw.

Otherwise there is a very nice outside range at Prodo dam....look up Mike Rahagis (sp) and I beleive it is private but open for matches, they have like 10 pistol berms and run regular steel, IDPA, and IPSC matches....after the matches you can hand and put a few down range if you little heart desires.

I think, at least there used to be, lots of matches at the Prodo Olympic range too....Not sure how they are on shooting fast.

As for the CCW, it is a pain in PROC.  I took a class from Bill Murphy, ex OC SWAT i beleive.  very good class...pretty basic but good.  Sheriff of OC, Mike Corona is pretty good about issuing CCW, but you have to show need.  In otherwords, through a job or business where you carry lots of valuables or need to protect your merchandise.  If your employer will vouch for you and say you need one for work, you are in good shape.

Other than this, you can prove that you need a CCW to protect your weapons.  In order to do this you need to prove you shoot a lot!.  This is where joining a local range comes in....Go in and document, have them write a letter that you shoot 2-3 times a week.  Then for justification you say, "I need a CCW to protect my weapons and keep them out of the hands of criminals to and from the range."  I think it is also good if you can include that you travel distances either through work, or to and from shoots.  

Anyway, thats all I remember.  Hope that helps.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top