Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2005 4:51:58 PM EDT
Is the USAS 12 semi auto shotgun legal? If I could get a lower for it, could I pin the mag like a regular assault rifle?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:39:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm pretty sure this was actually declared a "destructive device" by the ATF.  Absolutely ridiculous, I know.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:05:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Its a DD now and we cant have it.Before the ban I remember B&B sales had one on the shelf listed for a whopping $1200 back then.I kick myself in the ass for not buying one back then.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:26:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Rumor has it the things beat themselves to death with heavy use.

Can't confirm it because I haven't met an owner of one that actively shoots the hell out of the thing.

Russel and Shawn of Cavalry Arms have talked about somebody they knew who used one in 3 gun, I figure one of those stupid things would clean up in certain stages.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:31:08 AM EDT
[#4]
That stinks, because they made a semi-auto version. How difficult is it to get the dd permit?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:54:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
That stinks, because they made a semi-auto version. How difficult is it to get the dd permit?

The permit is only half the battle. For the average joe nobody they can only get a DD permit as a collector, but that does not give them the ability to detonate their DDs. So you could spend the money to get one and have it sit on your shelf, but a shell will never touch it's chamber as long as you are in California.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:37:30 PM EDT
[#6]
This isn't quite right.  The USAS-12 was legal in California even after the '94 reclassification and until SB23 was passed in '99.  California law specifically exempts shotguns from the definition of a Destructive Device whereas Federal Law does not.  Federally it's a DD and must be transferred like any other DD (Form 4, $200 tax, etc), however the state of California does not recognize the USAS-12 as a DD.  It's a Title I shotgun to them and could be transferred in using a DD Dealer who simply DROSed it after the Form 4 was approved.  This has not changed, however SB23 turned this into an AW requiring registration, so a complete USAS-12 would not be legal to buy today, but it is still exempt from DD status in CA.  If you could find a stripped USAS-12 receiver and a DD Dealer who would to the NFA transfer for you, you could in fact legally bring it in as long as it didn't have a pistol grip.  If you created a non-detachable magazine in some manner, the rebuild would circumvent SB23 completely and would be perfectly legal.  The trouble would be getting the Form 4 LEO signature.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:48:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow, thats a lot of information, thanks homeinvader!That answers my question.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top