Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:07:44 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
A second class was setup for Oct. 9. You probably got an email if you requested info. Hope to see some of you there.

Dave

well buck if the posted info has been confirmed , that is good news. several arfcommers were at eagles nest for the tactical carbine class , instructed by Bruce Krell. that was about half the class.

if it's the same structure i would recommend bringing snap caps or dummy rounds at least two, HYDRATION CARRIER (a must). and a good attitude. as far as gear there was a wide variety from geared up to couple of mags in the rear pocket. elbow and knee pads are highly recommended. we ran through bout 550rds yeterday. somekind of peltor type hearing muffs. it will make listeneing to the instructor alot easier. and the class for $25.oo. means ya can go out and buy hydration carriers and elbow and knee pads , etc.. for the class.

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:31:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Eagle's Nest is higher up, where we were at yesterday isn't it, but I can't remember its name
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:35:47 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Eagle's Nest is higher up, where we were at yesterday isn't it, but I can't remember its name

then, where da f*(k were we?? not that it matters, we just follwed the sing from the front entrance to eagles nest.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:18:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Hey guys, it was good meeting a few of you there.  I recognized a few of your faces from the pictures you take at the ARFCOM shoots.  The place that we were at was called Fort Angeles, which was just below Eagles Nest.  FA is only a square range, but Eagles Nest has a lot more options, and is a better range IMO.  It has steel at 125 and 200(?) yards.  They just recently built a shoothouse up there (although it's not ballistic - walls are thin), and have the capability to setup targets on movers.  Usually EN is taken up by Scotty at ITTS, but from what Bruce was saying, it sounded like if Scotty wasn't using it, he could rent it himself.

Hey Chen, I hope your SPR is OK.  I'd like to talk to you about doing some trigger work on my rifle.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:01:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I've taken a few classes up there not taught by Scott, it's just a matter of availability.  Eagle's Nest is awesome, lots of shades, benches and tables, we can also shoot out to 1000yrds.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:10:02 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm signed and paid for the class on Oct. 9, so from what I read above it sounds like you guys had a good time. Equipment needed from what Meat posted above, Camelbak, knee and elbow pads, and of course lots of ammohinking
How many mags did you guys have carry on you?

Is there any need to bring out my pistol, I know I saw it posted somewhere, to bring a pistol, some mags, and 200 rounds of ammo.

Last question any prefrence in the type of sling to use, right now I use single point sling and I am very comfortable with it.

This will be my first course, and I'm just trying to get everything preped, Went to Burro on Sunday to do some live fre function testing of my new upper, rail, optics the whole nine yards. Seems to be AOK stil need to put more rounds downrange to check reliability of the new upper and barrel.

Who's all going the next time around?

The signup should be posted on Bruce's site after Tuesday, when signup goes public.

RF
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:02:17 AM EDT
[#7]
We didn't use that many mags, 4 is all you need.  Keep one unloaded though.  Mag pouches just need to be accessible easily and quickly, the drop leg (which I was using) isn't the fastest to get to, but it'll work.  I'd have prefered a belt pouch.  Don't forget to bring some dummy rounds.  Try it at home, or better yet, at a range after you've fired some rounds to see if your dummy rounds would eject.  I was the only one in the class that had problems with the red plastic dummy rounds, they would not eject from my MRP chamber.
Bring a shooting mat, a pack or sandbags.  The first hour was spent zeroing the weapons in prone.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:57:18 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'm signed and paid for the class on Oct. 9, so from what I read above it sounds like you guys had a good time. Equipment needed from what Meat posted above, Camelbak, knee and elbow pads, and of course lots of ammo

The signup should be posted on Bruce's site after Tuesday, when signup goes public.

RF

I am definitely there, if I will be in town that weekend.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:02:14 PM EDT
[#9]
bring a 10 round mag if you got one. he has you get real low when going prone, can't do it with a 30 rounder. i brought 20 x 30 round mags and spent none of my time reloading. bring all you have. we didn't get to weapon transitions, didn't need handgun. who know about next time. i wore a plate carrier w/cunberbund with 9 mags for half the course and a subload with 3 mags for the other half. i prefered having nothing on my legs. Eagle PC was very comfortable, sweating alot was only draw back. heat won't be a concern in Oct.
sling? that's a whole other conversation. I like the V Tac.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:55:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'm signed and paid for the class on Oct. 9, so from what I read above it sounds like you guys had a good time. Equipment needed from what Meat posted above, Camelbak, knee and elbow pads, and of course lots of ammo

As far as mag carrier I was thinking of getting a drop leg instead of a chest rig, guess it doesn't really matter.

How many mags did you guys have carry on you?

Is there any need to bring out my pistol, I know I saw it posted somewhere, to bring a pistol, some mags, and 200 rounds of ammo.

Last question any prefrence in the type of sling to use, right now I use single point sling and I am very comfortable with it.

This will be my first course, and I'm just trying to get everything preped, Went to Burro on Sunday to do some live fre function testing of my new upper, rail, optics the whole nine yards. Seems to be AOK stil need to put more rounds downrange to check reliability of the new upper and barrel.

RF

whatever works for ya, take it to the class and see if it works.
for me imho. train as you fight , fight as you train.
all geared up, dont really give a sheeuut what others beleive or think. i have my own reasons why my gear is setup my way. took everything off my legs awhile back. no holster ,no drop leg pouches. i'm not inclined to stay in a firefight , but rather shoot to keep them zombies heads down . while i run like forrest gump ouuta there.
v-tac is far as im concerned my primary sling. i have my reasons.
went to a 3 gun match geared up, and went to bruces class geared up, will be going to jeffs class geared up, and prolly the rest of the classes upcomming.  the heat wasnt too bad as long as you keep yourself hydrated and start hydrating yourself the day before. i have my reasons also. keep on long sleeve shirt, pants , and a hat. cover yer self from the sun!
and listen and learn from bruces class. take the best of the course and incorporate it to suit your needs.
it was a very GOOD BASIC CARBINE CLASS!
and for god sake if ya guys run your ar's clean 'em and dont use shit ammo, and make sure your mags are in good shape.kinda got flammed by some mini14 shooters at the class for the UNRELIABLE AR'S. makes the training class go on longer to clear jams etc.... my mrp ran with zero failures and im totally happy and would trust my life with my unreliable ar-15.  i'm not into sub-moa shooting , not my thing . acuuracy is good but at a certain point you have to decide that zombie head shots are great, but i was always taught  to cause the most massive trauma to the major organs of a zombie as possible. zombie hearts,lung,kidneys, livers etc... so shooting one inch groups is not my thingy, not that i cant,but not my thing.
so do a functional check at a range make sure your weapon is functional , clean and ready to go to the class. you are after all arfcommers AR15. dont make us look like we are a bunch of fancy smancy gear whores with expensive toys that don't run .  FUNCTIONAL CHECK!!!

REPRESENT and learn.

enough ranting, ya'll can kick my ass later. if ya can catch me...beep! beep!!!

meat
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:13:42 PM EDT
[#11]
If any of you are interested in a drop leg pouch, I have an unused Eagle SAS M-16 MAGAZINE POUCH in OD for sale and can bring it to the Gonzales class.  $55.  Let me know ahead of time so I can bring it to the first day.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:46:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Hey guys thanks for all the info, and I will definately be running several function checks to make sure everthing is up to par, I will be zeroing this comming weekend at San Gabriel and should hit up Burro for some rapid fire testing to make sure everything is good to go.

RF
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:32:54 AM EDT
[#13]
hey Meat,

those of us that were at the class with you concure, "shooting one inch groups is definatly not your thingy".
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:13:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:09:35 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Hey guys thanks for all the info, and I will definately be running several function checks to make sure everthing is up to par, I will be zeroing this comming weekend at San Gabriel and should hit up Burro for some rapid fire testing to make sure everything is good to go.

RF

Mind as well sight in your rifle at 25yrd and make sure your point of imapct is 1" below your aim.  You'll learn why in class.  Oh, and know how to adjust your sight.  

Yeah, bring the < 10round mag if you have it.  20 round works as well.

Clean and properly oil your gun before the class.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:17:27 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
hey Meat,

those of us that were at the class with you concure, "shooting one inch groups is definatly not your thingy".

lol,
didnt you read the meter patch on my vest???aint braggin but a 94 aint bad... for me.
see ya soon g, and thanks for bringing my gloves.

meat

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:55:47 PM EDT
[#17]
nevermind
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:26:45 AM EDT
[#18]
just took a class with triple b,amp1179.and fnc80 , also with full gear on.
night ops class with bill murphy.hbpd swat,surefire, and gunsite instructor.
interesting  shooting things at night as compared to shooting at daytime. the shoot house was pretty cool to shoot. one of the cats we met at bruces carbine class turned us on to it. teaches you to "pie" not to eat it , but to pie your corners.transition shooting and some other cool sheeuut.
$165.00 6pm -1am.  www.fatv.comthinking of taking the live entry course next time.

meat
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:00:13 PM EDT
[#19]
hopefully a new instructor will come to play with us.... and maybe we can all go. local, experienced and a  damn good instructor. todays class was for maybe intermediate carbine , but looking forward if the gent decides to go public.  we'll see.

meat
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:27:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:55:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:48:32 AM EDT
[#22]
NM I over reacted, please disregard the post.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top