Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2003 6:10:12 PM EDT
Is there public land that allows shooting and won't have a cow if one brings "assault weapons" and bumpfires?
I'm thinking about buying a little place up there so we can go shooting, also for me to get away on days that should have snow like Christmas.  But if there's no place to shoot then I'll look elsewhere.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 9:27:28 PM EDT
[#1]
What's your addy so I can e-mail you some maps?  Or you can search on Calguns as I asked awhile back.  There are only a couple of designated shooting areas available.  The few places I've checked out are extremely small.  You'll have to check with the FS in the morning you plan to shoot to find out shooting hours as they regulate it by fire danger.  There used to be some areas down the 18 toward Apple Valley, Hesperia that you could shoot but they closed them off so off roaders could use it instead and they planted endangered plant life.

The past few years, the snowfall has sucked and the only areas with snow have been the slopes where they drain the lake to make it.  However, rumor has it that the army corp of engineers will be dredging the lake to make it deeper and then pumping it full for use as a reservoir.  I heard like 2008 or something.  This should bring realestate values up.  My parents house used to be lake front until the water level dropped.  Now I have to walk about 150 yards to get to the water when it used to be up to the grass!
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 12:06:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Sydwaiz, please email me at ***[email protected]***.  I'm not worried about property values going up there, as long as they don't go down, but one of major reasons is I'd like to be able to shoot, and not in a range.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 10:14:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Big bear...well...he's a mod for this forum....and he's gruff looking but a nice guy.  He has a puppy...um....yeah....
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 3:39:12 PM EDT
[#4]
The Forest Sevice maps used to have the No Shooting lines on them.  The the county got involved and redrew their lines.  You'll probably have to drive down to the desert.  A couple of years ago a few yahoos at one of the authorized areas started a fire.  Rumors are 50/50 that tracers may have been involved.  In any case they didn't take care of it in a timely manner and it got away from them.  With the last fires I expect that folks are going to be damn whoopsie about shooting in the Forest areas.  Dropping down the hill to the desert should be a quick and easy trip though.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 8:31:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Dang it, well there goes that idea.  I think I'll just buy another place for investment then, and when I retire move to a free state.  Thanks for your input
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top