Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2017 8:09:45 PM EDT
Is there an outdoor shooting range in the central fl area where you can shoot things other than steel plates or paper targets? Ir Gallon water jugs
My friend said he thought there was a place in sumterville but he cant remember the name
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 8:25:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Hernando Sportsmans Club, I believe it's the last Saturday of each month, opens the 200 yard range with a very lenient policy on targets.

That said, this one garnered some unwanted attention from the RO
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 11:09:20 AM EDT
[#2]
The only outdoor range that I know of in Sumterville belongs to the Sumter County Sheriff's Office and isn't open to the public.

There are supposed to be building a Shooter's World in the southern end of The Villages near Wildwood in the near future.  I've heard it will have an indoor range.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 1:35:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Seminole County Gun and Achery Assosiation, my club has a plinking range out to about 40 yards that allows you to shoot things like jugs , cans, etc. No Glass. Full auto and rapid fire are OK on that range only.

But I don't believe it is open to non members, we only have one public day a month, strictly supervised on paper ranges.

I have a standing offer to take any Arfcommer shooting there as my private guest to check it out, as long as it's on a week day. I don't go there on weekends.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 1:19:03 PM EDT
[#4]
If you are brave you can go to the Ocala gun range. It isn't governed so as long as you don't set the forest on fire have at it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 1:28:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Is there an outdoor shooting range in the central fl area where you can shoot things other than steel plates or paper targets? Ir Gallon water jugs
My friend said he thought there was a place in sumterville but he cant remember the name
View Quote

The outdoor range in Sumterville was taken over by the Sheriff's Office about twelve years ago.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 2:25:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you are brave you can go to the Ocala gun range. It isn't governed so as long as you don't set the forest on fire have at it.
View Quote
I think that's where i need to go
Thanks
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 4:24:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I think that's where i need to go
Thanks
View Quote
If you get there at dawn... you will have a much better time.

It's been quite a few years since I've been there. Last time I was there, and elderly gentlemen said some employee of the state would issue citations (Civil Infractions I guess) to those depositing and/or shooting things on the ground or berm as it is against the posted rules. Rules that were posted stated you must use target backers and fire only at targets on the target backers.

I have no idea if this was true...
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 3:31:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
I used to shoot there back in the '80s It was a wild west shitshow back then!

I remember once a bunch of us were on the line when I notice to my far left a guy walking down range while hot. He had a MAC-style gun and was shooting full auto from the hip wearing a neon green T-shirt and a linen jacket ala-Miami Vice. Several of us immediately called a cease-fire and carefully explained to the guy how we kinda did things (not range Nazi stuff just common sense stuff like not getting shot). A few minutes after the range was hot again, there goes Don Johnson again walking down range firing short bursts into the range floor in front of him. We called a cease-fire again and he just said that it was only his risk so we shouldn't care what he was doing. I packed up and left shortly after. A few of us were regular visitors so we would organize clean-ups to keep the place safe and looking good. Most of the Rangers appreciated the effort and would bring by clean trash barrels/bags when we were out there. One Ranger used to give us a hard time about cleaning shit up saying we weren't "authorized" to do so

I understand that today there is also a criminal element that has been known to hang out looking to steal guns and gear. I have been advised that it is the kind of place you want to go with a group but I haven't been there in years.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:14:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
I was there about a month ago and it was so outta control I didn't even unpack my gear to shoot. I just turned around and went for a ride thru the forest. Ocala can get very crowded and you have everything from rednecks to gangstas shooting there. Eustis Gun Club in Astatula is a private club in Lake County that has nice facilities. I'm a former member and thinking about rejoining. They have a 200 meter range, rifle range with 25, 50, 75 & 100 yard target areas. Trap and skeet ranges, plinking ranges and several pocket berms for handguns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top