Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2017 8:25:33 PM EDT
Hey y'all, the fiancée and I will be driving down in the spring (not around Soring Break thank God) for our honeymoon. Probably going to spend 5-6 days.

What suggestions or tips would y'all give? I've been a few times when I was little but the lady's not been before.

Any must see/must do or must eat things around?

I've been to the DG drag racing museum since I have family around Ocala/Wildwood.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 9:23:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 11:53:52 AM EDT
[#2]
A Disney World visit is one of those things most people want to do at least once in their lifetime so don't blame you for having it on your list. What I would recommend is that you look at their website, look at the rides you might be interested in going on and then getting their FastPass option so you can skip the lines. Lines at Disney can be 60-90 minutes and you don't want to spend your day standing in line.
Same goes for SeaWorld, although at SeaWorld you don't have to wait much in line if you want to see the dolphin or killer whale shows, but for the rides there will be long lines.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 2:41:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just take all cash with you. Park, get out of the car, throw the cash on the ground and get back in the car. Drive home - saves a lot of walking.

Sorry - nothing good to say about the mouse.

I would recommend the Keys - lots to do this time of the year.
View Quote
Help with hurricane clean up on your honeymoon???
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 2:50:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 3:11:20 PM EDT
[#5]
OP asks for advice on Disney for honeymoon.
You recommend going to the Keys.
Keys have been f@@ked up by Irma.
Not sure if OP wants to be altruistic on his honeymoon and help in Florida relief efforts.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 3:23:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 12:15:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I would strongly recommend reading The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World sometime before your trip. It'll give you a realistic estimate of how much you can expect to spend, it has suggestions and reviews on lodging and restaurants both on and off Disney property, and most importantly it offers detailed, step-by-step touring plans for each of the parks to minimize your wait in line and increase the number of attractions you see. It'll answer pretty much any question you might have about planning a vacation around Orlando theme parks.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 10:09:02 AM EDT
[#8]
So not a Floridian, but have a place in Kissimmee and spend a fair amount of time there.  Never seen the book Okay recommended, but looks like it's well worth it.  

Since you're on your honeymoon, I assume you can plan the time you want.  Going in middle of the week and weeks away from school breaks will help immensely.  You may not be avoiding all lines due to the number of international visitors not on the US school calendar, but in my experience they can be greatly reduced.  As was already mentioned, FastPass for the popular ones are a must.  

It is your honeymoon, so not sure how much you want to drive around to see, but here's a few other options for you to consider outside of mouseland.

If you're into aviation there's a wonderful little aviation museum about 30 minutes west off I4.  Forget the name, but I'm sure someone here will chime in with it.  Do the tour, it's not long and really worth it IMO.  You can do this in an afternoon, won't take a full day.

If you're a space fan, drive the hour to the Atlantic coast and see the NASA Kennedy Center facility.  Seeing the visitor center and walking around the center with the Apollo and moon mission equipment..  well to me words just can't describe it all.

Also take the hour drive to the Tampa area.  Busch gardens is nice, and a good combo of rides and zoo.  And (IMO) the beaches are wonderful.  Enjoy an afternoon and have dinner at one of the many good restaurants on the beach (I really like Frenchy's but so many great places are there).

All just my opinion..  Hope you have a wonderful trip and congrats on the upcoming wedding.  Or is it condolences?  Hmmm...  
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 10:19:39 AM EDT
[#9]
One big thing my family has learned from ALL theme parks is an important one about the food situation.

They'll sell you a $10 turkey leg or mystery meat burger all day long. There's a million places trying to do just that.

On the other hand, almost every one of these theme parks has a smokehouse of some kind. You'll pay around $13 and get a good sized plate of barbecue that will keep you filled up for your duration at the park. The food there is usually half-decent, and the price is not out of line with what you would pay for such a meal outside of Mickey's wire.

This tidbit has literally has saved us hundreds of dollars over the years.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 3:28:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just take all cash with you. Park, get out of the car, throw the cash on the ground and get back in the car. Drive home - saves a lot of walking.

Sorry - nothing good to say about the mouse.

I would recommend the Keys - lots to do this time of the year.
View Quote
I can't for the life of me understand why an adult would go to Disney on purpose without kids.

Only time I go is kicking and screaming to take the kids, hopefully behind me now that they are teenagers.

SeaWorld was mildly interesting to see the critters.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 7:35:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I can't for the life of me understand why an adult would go to Disney on purpose without kids.
View Quote
Actually Disney is much more fun without kids.

Same with Universal Studios as they have way more roller-coasters that aren't suitable for kids.

OP, Disney has Fastpass to avoid long lines and it is limited but free. Buy your tickets early (same with on site hotels) to book your fastpasses as early as possible. Universal has Express Pass and that they charge for.

There are many water parks in the area, including the new Volcano Bay.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 12:45:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Download the Disney app. You can set fast passes, make reservations for restaurants, get maps, see the wait times for rides and tons of other helpful things.

Set your reservations and fast passed asap. They go fast. If you are staying in a Disney hotel, you can set fast passes 60 days in advance.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 11:15:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Download the Disney app. You can set fast passes, make reservations for restaurants, get maps, see the wait times for rides and tons of other helpful things.

Set your reservations and fast passed asap. They go fast. If you are staying in a Disney hotel, you can set fast passes 60 days in advance.
View Quote
Best advice you'll get.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 11:52:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Yep - waste your time and money in the trap run by the Mouse.....Yea!

There is a lot more to see in Florida - Beaches, Reefs, Springs, Fishing Etc......

I did send you an IM

Red
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 5:27:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So not a Floridian, but have a place in Kissimmee and spend a fair amount of time there.  Never seen the book Okay recommended, but looks like it's well worth it.  

Since you're on your honeymoon, I assume you can plan the time you want.  Going in middle of the week and weeks away from school breaks will help immensely.  You may not be avoiding all lines due to the number of international visitors not on the US school calendar, but in my experience they can be greatly reduced.  As was already mentioned, FastPass for the popular ones are a must.  

It is your honeymoon, so not sure how much you want to drive around to see, but here's a few other options for you to consider outside of mouseland.

If you're into aviation there's a wonderful little aviation museum about 30 minutes west off I4.  Forget the name, but I'm sure someone here will chime in with it.  Do the tour, it's not long and really worth it IMO.  You can do this in an afternoon, won't take a full day.

If you're a space fan, drive the hour to the Atlantic coast and see the NASA Kennedy Center facility.  Seeing the visitor center and walking around the center with the Apollo and moon mission equipment..  well to me words just can't describe it all.

Also take the hour drive to the Tampa area.  Busch gardens is nice, and a good combo of rides and zoo.  And (IMO) the beaches are wonderful.  Enjoy an afternoon and have dinner at one of the many good restaurants on the beach (I really like Frenchy's but so many great places are there).

All just my opinion..  Hope you have a wonderful trip and congrats on the upcoming wedding.  Or is it condolences?  Hmmm...  
View Quote
aviation museum, fantasy of flight ? but I thought they went private use one ? I think theres also something like warbirds museum or experience in kissimee area too ?
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 6:41:47 PM EDT
[#16]
I don’t see the lure of Disney, I would rather bite my own arm off than go there. Hell even when I was a kid I didn’t like it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top