Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2017 8:13:15 PM EDT
Hey all, my company is sending me down to Ft Myers for some hurricane cleanup. I'll be staying on Estero(?) Island for at least a week, right on the beach. I'm not sure how much time I'll have to fish, but I haven't caught a Tarpon or redfish in about 5 yrs, and I'm itching. I'm sure I'll have SOME off time, likely at night.

I like throwing lures, and fishing actively, but I can also appreciate sitting on a beach with a bait out, and a beer in my hand.
I'm not looking for every detail, just a few pointers would be great. I'm flying, so I cant really bring gear. I'll buy something once I get there, I guess.
Thanks in advance, Bobby.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 9:15:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, I;ve been here in Ft Myers Beach since Sept 24, and you guys have given me zero tips, so thanks for nothing!

The work is winding down now, so I hope to get some more fishing done. So far I've got one redfish (slot sized) a bunch of snook, and something straightened an Owner hook on me at Blind Pass in Sanibel. I'm thinking a tarpon, or bull red, but I guess I'll never know.
 Caught a bunch of pompano, and ladyfish, caught more snook in my castnet than with my rod. (Released)

I've done some gator watching and snake wrangling in the Picayune Strand State Forest.

I've got a place to stay for another week or so, my appointment to apply for my nonres ccw permit next Monday.  
After that, I'll likely head to the East coast (via Alligator Alley, of course) to fish with friends in the Melbourne area for a few days before heading north.

At this point, I'll be staying here in Ft Myers till at least Monday to get my permit app in.

I'm a gamefish guy , not really into bottom fishing, but I'm up to meeting up, fishing, shooting, hunting with any Arfcommers who might be interested.
Also, thanks Florida for the hospitality.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 10:32:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Weather is hit and miss. I was out 40 miles on Saturday with Family and we had 6 foot + seas. We caught
fish but I was sick as dog and am sore all over from fighting the rocking boat.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 12:17:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Weather is hit and miss. I was out 40 miles on Saturday with Family and we had 6 foot + seas. We caught
fish but I was sick as dog and am sore all over from fighting the rocking boat.
View Quote
Sorry to hear it, but at least you caught!

I think i'll be going to Turner River road soon. Need to get dirty! I wanna kill invasive Pythons, and catch tarpon in fresh water.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 7:30:00 PM EDT
[#4]
With the storm I haven't even taken my boat out in a couple months.Ive been mostly bass fishing and throwing lures on a strong tide at blind pass.Lakes park has some real donkey bass if that's your thing.towards the end of the day at bunche beach after the kayak rental guy goes home there's some real solid snook held up in the back corners of the mangroves.One of them probably still has my pink 6" yo-zuri crystal minnow hooked its mouth.It popped 30lb braid like it was a hair lol
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 8:39:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
With the storm I haven't even taken my boat out in a couple months.Ive been mostly bass fishing and throwing lures on a strong tide at blind pass.Lakes park has some real donkey bass if that's your thing.towards the end of the day at bunche beach after the kayak rental guy goes home there's some real solid snook held up in the back corners of the mangroves.One of them probably still has my pink 6" yo-zuri crystal minnow hooked its mouth.It popped 30lb braid like it was a hair lol
View Quote
I'll have to google up Bunche Beach, I guess.  I burnt out on freshwater in my teens, caught too many lmb, already.
WANT TARPON!!!!

Anyways, took my dog to work today in Naples, afterwards we went "splorin" . We found "Port of the Islands" in Goodville (?) lotsa gators.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

She didn't even know it was there. Till she did, then I had to restrain her.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 7:50:13 PM EDT
[#6]
So one day last week, I got a small blacktip off the beach, on a gold spoon. We set up on the beach that night and got a couple dozen blacktips, and bonnet heads. No keepers.

Today, I crossed another species off the list. Got my first snapper. What a battle! I'm tired now.

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top