Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2017 8:10:19 PM EDT
I just got hit by Irma in Naples FL and my insurance adjuster put me down for a new roof pending approval by the insurance company. The existing roof is concrete tile. I got some quickie quotes of $32-$34K for tile and $38-40K for metal. That includes tear off. I'm 60, we've been in the home for less than 9 months (part time - vacation home...). Either roof will outlive me as I understand it.

I'd be inclined to pay up for a metal roof based upon durability and perceived value.

My roofer said if cost, etc. is no issue, he'd get an exposed screw roof like the one on his house. I'm inclined to go raised seam if I decide to go metal.

Any thoughts out there?

Thanks in advance!

(I posted this in an existing thread in GD, no responses so far, so reposting here.)
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:56:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I just got hit by Irma in Naples FL and my insurance adjuster put me down for a new roof pending approval by the insurance company. The existing roof is concrete tile. I got some quickie quotes of $32-$34K for tile and $38-40K for metal. That includes tear off. I'm 60, we've been in the home for less than 9 months (part time - vacation home...). Either roof will outlive me as I understand it.

I'd be inclined to pay up for a metal roof based upon durability and perceived value.

My roofer said if cost, etc. is no issue, he'd get an exposed screw roof like the one on his house. I'm inclined to go raised seam if I decide to go metal.

Any thoughts out there?

Thanks in advance!

(I posted this in an existing thread in GD, no responses so far, so reposting here.)
View Quote
I was looking at raised seam myself, once mine goes out.  The expected lifespan given good materials is 30-50 years.  Those quotes seem high, but I don't know the size/complexity of your roof.  I was around $15-20 with higher corrosion resistant material costs due to being so close to the water. 
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 4:00:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I was told by the roofer that my roof was 38 squares.  The home is about 2550 sqft under roof (including garage, lanai and covered entry) and the roof has a little bit of gingerbread to it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 3:10:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Just be careful whatever you get.  Every time a hurricane goes through roofs double in price, materials are half the quality, and installation is questionable.  Stick with the best contractor, even if you have to wait a while
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 5:28:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just be careful whatever you get.  Every time a hurricane goes through roofs double in price, materials are half the quality, and installation is questionable.  Stick with the best contractor, even if you have to wait a while
View Quote
Yeah, I get that.  My roof is missing a lot of tiles, but I think I'm watertight and the one section was tarped by my roofer the other day.  I am making a list of renovations and the guestimates I'm making price-wise are getting up there.  I'm pretty patient and understand the supply and demand effect on pricing.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 8:42:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a friend who has a roofing business in Tampa area and I texted him to see what he thinks as far as price.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 6:49:39 PM EDT
[#6]
What's the price per square for shingle tear off and new 5V Galvlume 24-26Ga.
4/12  simple roof, ballpark? Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top