Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2017 7:16:36 PM EDT
I am looking into impact resistant windows for my home in Naples.  Anyone have a good contractor for me to contact?  Also, what is the preferred window - aluminum or vinyl?  I'm looking for good quality windows and installation from a trustworthy contractor.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 8:53:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm in Naples and 5 years ago we had a company called Sentinal put in our impact windows and shutters .
The windows are PGT impact windows . Did a great job .
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 8:58:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't we have a member here that does that kind of work?
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 4:02:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm in Naples and 5 years ago we had a company called Sentinal put in our impact windows and shutters .
The windows are PGT impact windows . Did a great job .
View Quote
I'm looking at the PGT windows.  What about aluminum vs. vinyl.  I've heard vinyl can warp.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 6:27:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I'm looking at the PGT windows.  What about aluminum vs. vinyl.  I've heard vinyl can warp.
View Quote
The frames on my PGT windows are thick aluminum.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 8:03:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have the vinyl PGT and after 5 years none have warped.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:20:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Don't we have a member here that does that kind of work?
View Quote
'Tis me. 

the company I work for mainly uses CGI, SIW or ECO. We stopped using PGT because the price:product ratio wasn't worth it. There is cheaper newer product that functions better and looks just as nice. 

Personal preference for anyone at company is a big hell no on vinyl. Aluminum finish (if bought from a good company) looks great, when vinyl windows have a dull finish, get dirty as all hell, and just don't hold up as well. 

To back up the CGI product we use, I was in St Thomas for Irma and personally experienced gusts of 225mph winds. The resort luckily had all CGI product and there wasn't a broken window or slider anywhere in the resort other than a small window in the lobby bashed by a coconut. 

At a construction site nearby these CGI windows were loose, laying against a wall. They were picked up during the storm and thrown hard and far. None of them were broke, only minor blemishes on the frames. Good shit. 

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 3:07:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd hit up member campy for an installer recommendation as well
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 12:10:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I would go with PGT or CGI for the actual product.  Aluminum is better for wear over vinyl.  The vinyl will not warp but can fade over time.  Do you have to replace the windows right now or can it wait?  The reason I ask is that most quality/licensed/experienced companies will be overwhelmed right now.  An example is roofing.  I'm hearing most are booked out for complete re-roofs until March of 18'.  If you can wait, I would.  If you have any questions between this and the metal roof, email me directly.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 2:42:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I would go with PGT or CGI for the actual product.  Aluminum is better for wear over vinyl.  The vinyl will not warp but can fade over time.  Do you have to replace the windows right now or can it wait?  The reason I ask is that most quality/licensed/experienced companies will be overwhelmed right now.  An example is roofing.  I'm hearing most are booked out for complete re-roofs until March of 18'.  If you can wait, I would.  If you have any questions between this and the metal roof, email me directly.
View Quote
Yup. The hurricane impact company I worked for was already booked til the end of the year pre- Irma. We are located in SWFL but spend about 3 months a year or so in the Key West area installing, now after the storm we are booked throughout March I believe. 
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 3:03:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yup. The hurricane impact company I worked for was already booked til the end of the year pre- Irma. We are located in SWFL but spend about 3 months a year or so in the Key West area installing, now after the storm we are booked throughout March I believe. 
View Quote
FDrifting, which company do you work for?  PM it to me......
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 4:55:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

FDrifting, which company do you work for?  PM it to me......
View Quote
Sent. 
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 9:32:05 AM EDT
[#12]
FDrifting, I haven't gotten anything.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top