Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2017 10:56:44 AM EDT
Neighbors huge ficus fell into my yard/house. I have never had to file a claim with homeowners insurance before, but apparently since this was due to a catastrophic weather event, there is no "fault" for the tree. Which means I'm stuck fitting the bill for this monster of a tree removal and the hurricane deductible is $5k +. Is there any recourse here to get my neighbor to pay for this bullshit?

A buddy and I were able to cut everything back that was touching/smashed into the house this weekend, but the rest of the tree is just too large and needs professional equipment and most probably a crane to remove it $$$$.

Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:22:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Sorry. 
Have you spoke with the neighbor?
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:29:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sorry. 
Have you spoke with the neighbor?
View Quote
Yeah, when he called me to tell me it fell, I'm pretty sure he thought his tree killed us. His deductible is even higher than mine, so he has just been working on the root end (still in his yard) little by little on his own.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 12:44:12 PM EDT
[#3]
you would really need to prove the tree was an issue you talked about prior to the storm.If you can prove that then I would just say call a laywer and forget about being friends with them anymore.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 2:07:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
you would really need to prove the tree was an issue you talked about prior to the storm.If you can prove that then I would just say call a laywer and forget about being friends with them anymore.
View Quote
The tree was healthy and trimmed so negligence wasn't an issue. Unfortunately.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 4:38:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
pretty much it.  If you have not documented previously that you have discussed the issue with you,  and that you want the tree trimmed or removed, it's your tree now.   In these situations, it's best to just work together for resolution.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:21:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Hurrian debris on your property is your problem, you have little to no recourse. A stop sign could blow through your house and impale you and it is your responsibility.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 11:21:33 PM EDT
[#7]
sorry man.

how bad is your house?

neighbor had 2.5 trees fall on their house and .5 fall on the other neighbors house
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 8:44:33 AM EDT
[#8]
In this day and age of litigation, lawyer up for your pay day.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 3:14:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
In this day and age of litigation, lawyer up for your pay day.
View Quote
no need for lawyer unless tree was perpetrating a hate crime while it was falling. in florida this is about as simple as it gets. neighbors tree falls on your house it is now your tree, unless you can prove he knew or should have known the tree was damaged and was going to fall before hand.

funny thing about trees, the one i knew for sure was going to fall didn't. the one i would have never expected did.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 11:16:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 1:23:45 PM EDT
[#11]
start cutting that.

she will get very hard fast.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 3:34:30 PM EDT
[#12]
the local utility company here, GRU prior to Irma's arrival, preemptively cut down a pine tree next to my son's home.  It was on their right of way.   They felt it might fall on their lines.   When GRU felled the tree, it fell on the lad's fence,  and destroyed it.  GRU chopped up the rest of the tree that was on their right of way, and tossed all that debris on my son's property.
So far,  GRU is refusing to rectify the situation.  They at first denied they did the deed, but admitted that they were the culprits.
Son's attorney says "you are an able bodied white man', so not much chance that GRU will pay for the damages.   He has documented everything,   and submitted letters and emails.  Most likely nothing will ever come of the effort though.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 8:37:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Call Morgan & Morgan, he'll sue God and Mother Nature if he thinks he can make a buck.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 8:50:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Call Morgan & Morgan, he'll sue God and Mother Nature if he thinks he can make a buck.
View Quote
funny stuff.  You would have to catch ole John sober though.     Seriously,  I have a real attorney,  and his advice is that fighting GRU is not going to be cheap or productive.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 10:56:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Nowadays I wouldn't be surprised if your neighbor sues you because your house damaged his tree.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 4:26:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Same thing happened down the street during Matthew. Big oak fell into a house that was on the market and they were responsible for the repairs.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 11:49:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Figured it had to be a Ficus tree, don't get that sap in your eye's when chain sawing as you may wind up at the clinic.  I'd also suggest a long sleeve shirt to keep the shit off your skin as much as possible as you may easily have a reaction to that shit as it can make some itch like there is no tomorrow.

eta:  And don't keep it for firewood as it will gag you out.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:23:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Figured it had to be a Ficus tree, don't get that sap in your eye's when chain sawing as you may wind up at the clinic.  I'd also suggest a long sleeve shirt to keep the shit off your skin as much as possible as you may easily have a reaction to that shit as it can make some itch like there is no tomorrow.

eta:  And don't keep it for firewood as it will gag you out.
View Quote
Shit now that explains all the "bites" on my forearms 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top