Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2017 6:37:33 PM EDT
Have some roof damage from the storm.
Already filed a claim and waiting for the adjuster to arrive.

Has anyone use a private insurance adjuster?
If so, was it worth it?
Was the estimate from the private adjuster much different from the insurance adjuster and did the difference justify the cost?
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:47:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't you mean a public adjuster?
Independent adjusters always work for insurance companies. I think those are the only 2 types of adjusters.

http://www.propertyinsurancecoveragelaw.com/2010/11/articles/insurance/three-reasons-to-hire-a-public-adjuster/
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 5:55:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't you mean a public adjuster?
Independent adjusters always work for insurance companies. I think those are the only 2 types of adjusters.

http://www.propertyinsurancecoveragelaw.com/2010/11/articles/insurance/three-reasons-to-hire-a-public-adjuster/
View Quote
Yes, oops. Corrected the title.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 11:50:49 AM EDT
[#3]
IA here.... PA's can sometimes help you, very rarely.

Examples, in TX I would write a 10k estimate to total a roof, PA would ask for160k, twice what the home was insured for always pushing for this to go to trial.  Over a hail damaged roof....

Usually, after their cut of whatever they can inflate your estimate to, you will be left with about the same, if not less, in my experience.  

I'd wait and see what your adjuster says vs. your estimates.  

Also, with a PA, you're out of the insurance process, its between the insurance co and your PA.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 11:52:27 AM EDT
[#4]
In for answers
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 8:02:11 AM EDT
[#5]
If your house got damaged my advice would be to work with your insurance company, when the adjuster comes to your house make sure they note everything that got damaged. Then you look for a contractor to do the work on your terms, we have a lot of roofing companies here that will go to your house and try to get you to sign a contract with them and they will get all the proceeds from the insurance plus your deductible. If the adjuster missed anything and your contractor has to charge you for it then you can always submit an adjustment to your insurance company while the claim is open.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top