Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/12/2017 11:41:27 AM EDT
Ok - what lessons did you learn - what are you thinking about differently?

I failed to have a cooler full of ice.....

Red
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 11:44:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Whole house generator.

And of course teach my wife how to pack for the inevitable evac.  I swear I packed a couple pelicans (1650/1660/1750) with the toys, food/water, paperwork and then had 2 backpacks for clothes and electronics.

My wife had big after bag, box after box of STUFF.  No idea what was in them, but I think it may be a self correcting thing after she had to carry I most of it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 11:56:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Considering I've not really been through much since the rash of storms in 2004 I think so far I did ok. Got an early jump on supplies, water, food, gas, sand bags, batteries and already had pre-made window covers.

I acquired four more propane tanks this time around, something I was wanting anyway.

Despite maintenance neglect on my generator, it's humming along and has been for over 24 hours now. It's always been tricky to start so this time, after things die down, I'm going to have the carb cleaned and adjusted as my son had to get it started w/o me there... hard to explain a tricky process over the phone.

I had to bed down at work and my prep plans paid off there as well... can't really do anything about the noise other people/co-workers make when you're trying to sleep especially when they are working on mission related stuff.

I plan on getting the following to improve my readiness posture:

Several battery powered camping lanterns (currently have lots of flashlights but stationary light will be better).
Shorted extension cords, mine are too LONG.
Extra generator ( 2 is 1 and 1 is none and all that jazz).
Extra gas cams, have about six 5-gal ones now, bit more would help.
A couple more 3-way plugs for the cords and a few more regular 6-ft or 8-ft cords for small stuff.
Small propane can operated lantern and stove to augment the gas burning Coleman (don't want gas inside the house).
Larger stash of sandbags.
Water Jug that can sit on counter with side spout that can be pointed down into sink.

Other than that things have gone ok.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 2:49:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 3:25:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a lot to do for the next one.  Put off hurricane preps for the house after Matthew last year expecting new work opportunities elsewhere.

Definitely going to do more thorough planning of preps instead of doing random preps.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 5:21:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 5:53:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been through hundreds of hurricanes since I was a lad back in the '40s.  Prep starts December 1st, and runs through May 31st.  :)
For Irma,  I had everything I needed, well before she hit Gainesville.  Gas, generator, food, water, batteries, tools and supplies.  I would not do anything different.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 6:13:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a little apt.  My lesson...leave.  I do not have the space to store things.  I rather save my $ & put it into a fund for hotel & food not in the state of FL.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 6:15:38 PM EDT
[#8]
the only thing that I will do is get hurricane Shutters put up on my two balconies

I was prepared for the worst but lucked out in the end

very happy with my preps
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 7:32:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Keep the ditch on the side of the property cleaned out 
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 8:18:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I was well stocked with food supplies and our protective measures were adequate but next time I'll stock up on more snacks like Devil Dogs etc.
Because we ate a lot of that sort of stuff.

Also going to look into a whole house generator because I had adequate battery powered LED lighting, and could have gone without the fridge, 110 volt lights,  and freezer, but the lack of AC was a huge problem.

Power just came back.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 8:36:14 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought my 2nd home in Naples FL in December 2016.  The home came with no storm protection.  I happened to be in FL on the days leading up to Irma.  I was scheduled to fly out on Saturday and got that moved up to Friday.  If I had to do it again, the thing I would have done different is gotten out even earlier.

I was getting bombed by bad information from my wife and her sister and was becoming convinced my flight would be cancelled.  Garbage night was on Thursday, so I pitched all the food in the fridge.  The next day, convinced I was going to get stranded, I figured dumpster diving was my only salvation.  I probably had 2 cases of water, an RO system in the kitchen and a very little bit of canned and dry foods in the cupboard.  I managed to get out earlier on Friday than scheduled and all went well.

Now I sit up North with my wifi thermostat sending be emails twice an hour to remind me things are fucked in FL.  My wireless Arlo cameras are also dead.  No power, no wifi, I'm blind up here.  I have a neighbor and a house watch person who have both given me an assessment of my damage.  Nothing too serious.

Once the market returns to normal for home repairs, etc., I'm going to look into hurricane windows, a new roof - maybe metal (lost some tiles and the roof is 18 years old (1999 original construction) and has been repaired once already) and finally a propane fired whole house generator.

A friend and I may go back down this weekend, but I'm only going if my power is on or his propane gets refilled to keep his whole house generator running.  He has a 250 gallon in-ground tank which is covered over by a downed tree.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 8:42:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Buy a bigger tractor with a grapple. Maybe a dump trailer. Otherwise I learned from 2004 and had preps in place. Like to have lighter weight window covers instead of plywood but they were all pre-cut and marked from 2004. Have to get my whole house gen and transfer switch permanently installed. Wife is happy & comfotable inspite of the situation so mission accomplished.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 9:59:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Buy more gas cans, I have 15 but I think I should double that. So I will be looking for a deal shortly.

One thing I have considered is using plastic 55 gallons barrels.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 10:04:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buy more gas cans, I have 15 but I think I should double that. So I will be looking for a deal shortly.

One thing I have considered is using plastic 55 gallons barrels.
View Quote
Get a transfer tank (or two)
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 10:06:42 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm still making notes on the "Hotwash/AAR - Irma" pages of my notepad (2 pages so far).  I'll clean them up and dump them here.  Suffice to say, I've got a lot of work to do before the next one comes.

My first lesson learned: 2.5 years in Alabama made me lazy on hurricane preps.

On the upside, the wife finally "gets it" on preparedness and gave me cart blanche for doing what I deemed necessary for getting us ready (generator, battery backup setup, more food preps, BoBs, etc., etc.) that I was already doing anyway but with a lot of "why are you doing that?" and also told me I needed to buy a truck.  I thought about buying a lottery ticket, but figured I'd already burned up my luck for the month.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 11:02:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Get shutters for my house. No damage, but it's unnerving going to sleep listening to the wind and rain batter the windows in your bedroom. Also with a Cat 4 barring down I would have evaluated had my home been secure.

Get a battery powered radio, I didn't realize I didn't own one anymore.

Pack clothing in my trailer. This would make bugging out much quicker if I decided to leave suddenly.

Secure loose items outside before the last minute. I never realized how much shit I had outside than needed to be secured before the storm.

Other than these few things I felt it went well, but could've been much worse had Irma held together before it got to Tampa.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 5:01:31 AM EDT
[#17]
One of the unexpected lessons learned by me was that all those "stupid" family get togethers with friends and family aren't. They prepare you for times when everyone bugs out to your place. You know and understand the group quirks.
I have an awesome new GF who loved the adventure of a hurricane. Choice of a partner is critical. She was GTG with no power and had a great attitude the whole time.
I had moved a great deal of my SHTF stuff several states away last month so that sucked.
Buy, use, and become familiar with your equipment before you need to use it. I killed a new chain saw after 5 minutes.
Location Location Location. I live in a great little semi rural community. (Lake Wales). Small enough to be neighborly and friendly. Large enough to have "stuff". Some small pockets of stupid people but a very nice place to live.
ETA: teach your family primitive wilderness camp skills. It cuts down on dishes, laundry, and all water use.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 9:21:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Except for the spaghetti monster of extension cords underfoot our 26 hours without juice was seamless. Genny power for fridge, inverter microwave, A/C in the master and Sat TV for storm info.

Needs; Old school Coffee percolator for the Coleman stove and another propane hose for Coleman stove.

I loaned out my 2 non inverter genny's to family and had a 2,100 watt inverter back up I never even gassed up.

Wife is very happy with me.

Downside, $1,200 cash out of pocket today for tree removal.Could have been much, much worse.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 9:56:43 AM EDT
[#19]
I tend to prep early in the season, so we are weathering Irma pretty well.  Still waiting on power.  My 7yo says it is "just like camping."

Things to do better next time for me:

1. Get more gas cans
2. Get gas for generator early.  Like May early.
3. Stock up on more glow-sticks.  Those things rock.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:54:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I tend to prep early in the season, so we are weathering Irma pretty well.  Still waiting on power.  My 7yo says it is "just like camping."

Things to do better next time for me:

1. Get more gas cans
2. Get gas for generator early.  Like May early.
3. Stock up on more glow-sticks.  Those things rock.
View Quote
Same thing. I only had a 1 gallon gas can. I will now have three 5 gallon cans minimum. I'll keep them full and rotate them through the vehicle all season long. The gas situation was the worst part. 15 gallons and 3/4 tank in my vehicle will get me to Tennessee.

More rice, beans, and other food that is not spaghettios. I had a lot of canned food but it was ALL Spaghettios. By day 3 I was dying.

I also realized that my preps were 95% gun related and that is just not going to keep you alive very long. It's cool having night vision and lasers and suppressed SBRs at the ready, but that won't fill up your gas tank or keep your lights on.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 12:21:41 PM EDT
[#21]
I wish I had pulled the trigger on the whole house generator a couple years ago
Should have gone with my gut and boarded up a few more windows despite the weak forecasted winds. Luckily non broke but I was sure I was losing a couple mid storm.
I am increasing my fuel storage capacity

Luckily I did board up the windows I could that were facing the strongest winds, and am pretty much prepared year round with food, water, fuel, and portable generators.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 12:29:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Grew up in S FL, 1978-2000, 2001-present in Orlando. Now that I have a family to care for, prep has taken a new level of importance. We had plenty of water/food for two weeks of "camping," but our voluntary camping is always done in fall-spring, when it's nice out. CAMPING IN SUMMER SUCKS!

Things I learned/did wrong this time around:

1. A generator capable of powering the fridge and at least one portable a/c unit is NOT an optional piece of homeowner equipment. If you own a home in Florida, a generator is MANDATORY! (Could have paid for genny with cost of all the food we threw out)

2. Portable a/c unit to always have at least one cool room.

3. Battery air bubbler for aquarium. (Lost fish/coral after three days w/o power)

4. Keep drainage swales in better shape so my pregnant wife doesn't have to dig them out while I'm stuck at work.

5. Prep coolers full of ice with necessities like OJ, half & half for coffee, milk, bacon, etc. BEFORE the power goes out. (If no genny)

6. Don't count on another over-hyped "disappointment". If it's projected to come close, plan for a direct hit. The consequence for being wrong is severe.

ETA:

7. Get storm shutters for all windows. Either pre-cut & labeled with attachments pre-drilled/installed, or better yet, have manufactured one permanently installed. I've boarded in the past, but didn't this time. We didn't have any damage, but I sure thought we would when the eye wall passed.  

With a growing family the biggest thing on my list is moving to a new/bigger home. Being in Orlando, I will be using a Cat 3 as a minimum standard. I will be looking at all potential homes/lots through the eye of the storm. Hip roof, no trees over house, high lot with good drainage regardless of FEMA zone, storm shutters, whole house generator...all mandatory.

I'm still getting my written household plan together to start prepping for the next one, after things get back to normal. I may add later.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 12:37:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Look for quiet generator.
Get a few clear plastic shutters for visibility BEFORE the hurricane hits.
Portable A/C unit.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 1:22:32 PM EDT
[#24]
This wasn't my first barbecue...  I did pretty well.  I only burned 15 gallons of gasoline running my generator continuously for about 37 hours.  I started out with 30 gallons on hand (not counting the 2 vehicles in the driveway with full tanks).  I have 13 5-gallon cans (11 are 2005 vintage blitz cans)- I might consider scaling back on the cans...  I only have 1 generator that is 12 years old and has about 140 hours on it...  I might look to get another - that whole 2 is 1 thing...

After the storms in SE Florida in 2004, I replaced my "standard" storm shutters (in 2005) with accordion shutters on the second story of my house.  REALLY glad I did.  I still have the galvanized steel shutters, the mounting brackets, and mounting hardware from my second story in my garage gathering dust...  I'd like to find them another home ...  If you have any interest, shoot me a PM or an e-mail.  I'm in Palm Beach County, FL...
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 2:01:35 PM EDT
[#25]
What I didn't do and should have:
- Buy a generator;
- Buy a portable AC unit;
- Buy and fill lots of gas cans;
- Figure out a plan for pass-out radio communications with local family members who are non-hams;
- Never pull into your driveway with a tank below 3/4  full in storm season; and
- Test your storm covers for fit -
discovering two days before the storm when plywood is unavailable that your builder shorted you the plywood for all the doors and windows claimed to have been left for you and the pieces that were left you don't fit on the pre-installed anchors right isn't fun;

What I did do that I felt good about:
- Have 30 gallons of 5 gallon water cooler bottles that I use and rotate throughout the year;
- Have lots of LED lanterns, headlights, and batteries in hand;
- Have lots of MREs on hand;
- Have lots of canned food on hand; and
- Have a go-to long gun and handgun picked out with lots of loaded magazines ready to grab and go.

Irma really opened my eyes to a lot of ways I would have been hurting if I had suffered a direct hit. All of them things that I knew I should have done but have been derelict.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 2:16:33 PM EDT
[#26]
For those who mention whole house generator, I assume your property is high and dry?
If there were any flooding, wouldn't it make it useless?
With a portable generator you could possible keep it on a platform of sorts.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 3:56:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Forgot to buy beef hot dogs.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 4:17:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 4:32:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Just an update - we still have no power, so that means since Sunday late afternoon, we have been on our own.

I normally have capacity for about 16-20 gallons of gas in cans. Also, my 1966 mustang holds another 16 gallons in an easy to siphon tank. So call it 32 gallons available on any given day.

As Irma was heading across the Atlantic, my Cracker senses told me to do more. I ordered 4-6 gallon jugs with easy pour tops. I will not keep these filled under normal circumstances.

Also, when my daughter and sil showed up with my 2 grandsons (3yr & 3 mos) they brought another 2 cans for a total of 10 more gallons.

Point is, sometimes the power is out for the long term. The longest I've experienced due to a hurricane is 11 days....

BTW, we just filled the little blow up kiddie pool and the grandkids are playing on the back porch right now.

Welcome to Florida!
View Quote
I could go for a kiddie pool dip right now, great weather for anything but cleanup 
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 4:40:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 5:25:33 PM EDT
[#31]
I would like to find a quieter exhaust for the generator, better supply of snacks (we wiped most of those out before the storm hit), a propane/butane burner, and I'm looking into a hurricane screen for the lanai since my sliders were the only exposed glass (they're supposed to be Cat 5 rated but I'd rather them not take a hit).  I'll probably get some more survival food and more lifestraws and filters.  I'll also sink an eye bolt into some concrete outside to lock the generator to.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 5:40:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 6:20:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Large gas station caddy, like a 50 gal model or similar that has the hand crank pump. (the 5 gal cans are a PITA)
2 more "D" battery LED lanterns (I'd like to avoid carrying lanterns room to room)
Additional extension cords dedicated to certain appliances (I'm short one 14 gauge cord for my fridge)
Extra power block for plugging in computer/phone charger (I have to rotate items to charge)
A better way to secure the generator at night (Constant fear of theft)
A yeti style cooler to keep ice longer (Ice is an absolute premium item here in Brevard County right now)
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 7:46:10 PM EDT
[#34]
We evac'd being in Marco, and the one thing I seriously wish I had was a discrete means to transport my rifles. House was good, bought plenty of prep stuff, but checking into a hotel with your midway double rifle case was not ideal
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 8:27:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 9:24:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Great post op.  Get rid of the junk around your house.  2 different neighbors had trampolines that are around 10 years old.  They haven't been used forever.
They lost valuable time dealing with that junk.  Don't get me wrong, if your kids are using it then great but if you are holding on to it for memories then wake up.  My family unit did well but could have been better.
- know your neighbors.  We have wonderful neighbors on all sides.
- I didn't shutter windows but I think next time I will do the two bedroom windows on far end of house where we will ride it out.
- I will get a couple nice gas cans.
Keep your head up fellas!
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 9:42:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Test generator under load........... (now know how to dissemble / clean carb)
Storm shutter for front door
Small UPS for electronics/fridge (Generator filter)
Garage door posts
Window AC unit
Camera for generator
Good chain for  generator
Better gas cans
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 10:31:43 PM EDT
[#38]
-Some led lanterns. I had plenty of glow sticks and flashlights but the light isnt enough to use for anything leisurely.
-inverter generator and build an external box to muffle it even more.
-fans to move air around from the generator
-This was the first hurricane since we bought the house. The hurricane shutters did an awesome job but I think I want a few hurricane rated windows installed. 1. It gets entirely too dark with everything closed and 2. you truly have NO idea whats happening outside.
- I think I can use this as a justification for a pvs-14 so add one of those too hopefully

thats about all I can think of, we were pretty well prepared according to the wife so I'm happy in general
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 1:12:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Regarding extension cords running everywhere:

Consider adding a transfer switch. This will enable you to physically disconnect from FPL, or whoever, and just plug the generator directly into the house. You can then use your circuit box to turn off the items your generator can't, or you don't want, to run.

That way you can use your regular outlets and lights throughout the house.

Also, you won't accidentally electrocute a utility worker or the local kid laying in the nearby water.
View Quote
This and a couple more gas cans is all I really need to do before the next one really hits us hard in JAX. Had pretty much everything else covered for the most part. Also will probably buy two more buckets of Wise MRE's just to stash away.

I'd pretty much just want to run the kitchen applicanes, AC, and water heater. Every room and whatever else can stay off till power is fully restored.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 1:10:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Camping cookware (pots, pans and coffee pot).  We had to use our nicer stuff on the grill a couple times to cook with, don't know if they will make it.
Portable AC to plug in generator.
More fans.
Either get a whole house generator or have a transfer switch installed (if that route, maybe get a bigger generator as well for back up)
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 1:27:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 2:08:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Just for general info - my generator uses a 50A outlet, so I had the transfer switch and receptacle made for a 65A rating. Just a safety cushion and in case I get a bigger generator in the future.

I think the hard wire was #6 and the plug wire was #8.
View Quote
Thanks for that.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 2:49:48 PM EDT
[#43]
I bought 2 of these for water. http://buylci.com/ItemDisplayF.aspx?D1=SKILCRAFT-Water-Can-Desert-Tan--5-gal--5-gal&ItemID=906396
They work great. I'll be buying 2 more for back up.
I have 1 of these, http://www.goalzero.com/p/239/torch-250-flashlight   and I'll be buying 2 more.
I think I'm gonna get this beauty too, https://humless.com/home-series/mini/

I'm happy with my preps thus far and we did very well through this event. Not sure how we'd fair if it was a Cat 4 or 5 but, we would easily bug out with fuel, water and these supplies.
I think I'd like some more quality MRE's with heaters, any suggestions are appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 3:22:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Ordered extra scepter MFC cans (enough to have gas to make it way out of Florida)

Night vision, had to work the night of the storm and after and it's a whole other world around the city at night pitch dark.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 4:22:37 PM EDT
[#45]
We did okay considering the forecast for Marion County.

Sent the kids to N. GA in my truck.  Not happy about that but it was diesel and until afthe day the storm hit every station had diesel.
So a bigger fuel tank for the truck so they don't have to worry about stopping for fuel.

Better and better generator.  I would prefer duel fuel if possible.  My old Coleman 5 kw was enough to keep the fridge and freezer going, a few lights and fans going.

Better window protection.  I used a fence panel that I had sitting around since I had not been able to put it up as part of the extension on the fence line.

More gas cans.  Thinking about having 12 cans available and keeping them full all the time.  Roasting two every six months.

More LED lanterns.  Have two but could only find the small one.  No idea where the big one went to.  Probably the kids moved it.

Other than that I really can't think of anything else.

Come up,with a way to keep everyone who wants to see the damage the hell off the roads.  They get in the way and if I wasn't a first responder I'd be sitting next in my house watching and having a frosty beverage.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 7:16:36 PM EDT
[#46]
I was born here in 1962. Since then I have been in thousands, no, tens of thousands of hurricanes. I have never really made much of an effort to prepare. I didn't this time either. I am in SWFL and got pretty much gut punched by Irma. No shutters. No boards. House was built in 2006. Code calls it to withstand 140 mph winds. So let's call it 140, since I lived here so long. l have a 12k btu portable a/c to use in the garage( damn near useless) so we will call that prepping. the main thing I didn't have was a genny. I went 2 days with zero power. After that, I trotted my fat ass up to Polk and got a genny from family. I traded them for some meth.

I am buying a nice fucking generator and installing a transfer switch. Seeing as how I live though 40-80 hurricanes a year. 
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:54:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I've been through hundreds of hurricanes since I was a lad back in the '40s.  Prep starts December 1st, and runs through May 31st.  :)
For Irma,  I had everything I needed, well before she hit Gainesville.  Gas, generator, food, water, batteries, tools and supplies.  I would not do anything different.
View Quote
Your older than that brother......
You found shelter in the light house in keys way back when.

Glad you got through it....
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:35:09 PM EDT
[#48]
I bought a 110 gallon portable aluminium gas tank today with the 12 volt pump. Weights 63 lbs empty, throw it in the bed of the pickup and fill it up for my generator.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:47:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
We did okay considering the forecast for Marion County.

Sent the kids to N. GA in my truck.  Not happy about that but it was diesel and until afthe day the storm hit every station had diesel.
So a bigger fuel tank for the truck so they don't have to worry about stopping for fuel.

Better and better generator.  I would prefer duel fuel if possible.  My old Coleman 5 kw was enough to keep the fridge and freezer going, a few lights and fans going.

Better window protection.  I used a fence panel that I had sitting around since I had not been able to put it up as part of the extension on the fence line.

More gas cans.  Thinking about having 12 cans available and keeping them full all the time.  Roasting two every six months.

More LED lanterns.  Have two but could only find the small one.  No idea where the big one went to.  Probably the kids moved it.

Other than that I really can't think of anything else.

Come up,with a way to keep everyone who wants to see the damage the hell off the roads.  They get in the way and if I wasn't a first responder I'd be sitting next in my house watching and having a frosty beverage.
View Quote

Check out Titan Tanks. I put one on my truck to pull my 5th wheel and I think it's the best thing I've done for my truck. 65 gallons when full I can make it to Atlanta pulling my trailer.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 12:18:11 AM EDT
[#50]
What did I learn, I wasn't prepared.

Had plenty of food, water, flashlights, LED lanterns, batteries guns, ammo, propane for the grill and ice.  I wasn't able to acquire plywood for the windows which I have someone coming out next week for an estimate on hurricane shutters.  I didn't have a generator but going to wait until everyone have their power restored because I don't want to buy one now that someone could potentially be in need of.

I dodged a big bullet with this storm and was fortunate not lose power and didn't have any damage to our home.  I bought this home in December of last year and really dropped the ball by not being prepared and for someone born and raised here, this storm scared the shit out of me.

I have seen a lot of video from the keys and it saddens me to see how catastrophic this storm was and how many people will be affected for a long time.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top