Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2017 7:09:56 AM EDT
Mom is in New Port Richey and is going to be without power for a week or so. She wants me to bring her a generator and other supplies.

I have no problem heading her way with what she needs, but how hard is travel right now? Is gas becoming more available?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 8:09:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes actually. You getting there without refueling and then refueling to come back out is the real issue.

The large fuel companies are sending trucks often and the urban or interstate stations typically will have fuel.
WaWa, Speedway, Flying-J, Pilot types are constantly refilling their tanks.

Every 12 hours it gets better.

We traveled 1200 miles on Friday/Saturday and planned our stops based on Gas buddy. Actually went through Port Richey. Not much fuel there but plenty of fuel on I-75.

The stations without fuel will be red and stations with will list the price. www.gasbuddy.com
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 8:22:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I have friends who are trying to get from the panhandle back to south Florida. They don't even think they can easily find fuel to make it to Orlando.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 8:44:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies...it's exactly what I was expecting to hear.  

I did check Gas Buddy and it doesn't look good.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 9:17:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Fuel is really hard to come by in western central Florida right now.  When the stations get fuel, people flock like flies on a turd and the lines are sometimes 30 minutes long.  Arguments and fights are breaking out.

Like someone else said, it should get better every 12 hours or so.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 9:05:30 PM EDT
[#5]
19 south was super heavy today. Lots of people trying to get home, plus lots of out of state utilities, ems , etc. coming to help. Luckily, I was heading north. From Fanning Springs to Perry, I saw one station with gas, and it had a long line. Hopefully will get better soon. I can only imagine that 19 got worse further south, where the population increases.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 9:50:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Plenty of gas in Tampa, I never found it to be a problem through the complete ordeal.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 10:29:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Fuel situation is getting better, but still spotty.  Boss bugged out to South Carolina and tried to drive back yesterday but turned back when they had problems getting fuel.  I believe they made it back today for what that's worth.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 11:01:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Guess Florida will have to rethink Mandatory Evacuation Orders. Seems we have reached a limit on how many
cars can move out of state on current gas supplies. Game changer.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 12:14:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Guess Florida will have to rethink Mandatory Evacuation Orders. Seems we have reached a limit on how many
cars can move out of state on current gas supplies. Game changer.
View Quote
Probably didn't help that the whole state was in the cone and a lot of people were heading for anywhere but here.  One night I was looking at hotels in Macon and Valdosta. The next night, I was SOL for anything south of Huntsville. I'm looking at a hitch hauler for my Exploder to hold me over until the truck materializes.  We only evac'ed to Orlando, but being able to put 10-15 gallons of gas and moving all the food to one big cooler outside the car would have made all the difference and given all of us a little more elbow room.

Takes about half a tank in my Ex to get to Orlando, I figure that would get me a little north of Gainesville with a full tank. An extra 10-15 gallons going in and coming back would be a game changer.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 12:36:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Some friends trying to make it from Destin to Orlando took 11 hours yesterday.

My cousin came down 95 from the Carolinas to Ft Lauderdale. She said it was not bad to Orlando, then was pretty bad the rest of the way. No fuel. They had 8x 5 gallon gas cans to get them home.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 1:45:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Plenty of gas in Tampa, I never found it to be a problem through the complete ordeal.
View Quote
Same. Costco had gas and zero lines everytime i went.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 2:05:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Yesterday I took this footage I-75/SR44. As of posting this I don't know what is available there now, but the Sunoco US 301 at SR 44 has fuel right now.

Link Posted: 9/13/2017 3:38:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Some friends trying to make it from Destin to Orlando took 11 hours yesterday.

My cousin came down 95 from the Carolinas to Ft Lauderdale. She said it was not bad to Orlando, then was pretty bad the rest of the way. No fuel. They had 8x 5 gallon gas cans to get them home.
View Quote
Yesterday we drove from Charlotte NC to Jupiter. Charlotte to the Georgia state line was a parking lot. As soon as we hit GA, 80 mph till Darien, then parking lot through the south end of Brunswick. After that, smooth sailing. We stopped in Daytona to get some zzzzz.  Charlotte to my house is a 9.5 hour drive, yesterday it took us 15 hours CLT to Daytona. Today Daytona to Jupiter was the normal 2.5 hours.took on fuel in Pooler GA, and topped off in Daytona, had 2 5 gallon cans.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 8:10:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Agreed.  I bought gas on Tuesday and Thursday before and could have bought it yesterday if I needed it.  Didn't wait in any lines either.  My neighbors who said they couldn't find any weren't looking very hard.  Close proximity to the port of Tampa probably had something to do with the better availability we enjoyed.  I understand that gas stations near I-75 and I-95 are getting hammered by the people who evacuated to Alaska.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 2:26:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Evacuee here, headed back from KY to Orlando today. So, I can do 75 South pretty much the whole way, or I can do 75 South, to 40 East, to 26 East, to 95 South.

Which route will entail less suck? Did they ever close the Santa Fe bridge?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top