Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 9:01:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I would love to, but if not.... what is everyones input on what I should bring?
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 9:09:15 PM EDT
[#2]
a fifth stripe in Akido
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 9:19:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yea, you might want to cancel or postpone your travel plans.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hi to you all! Good luck and i hope it doest hit you! My wife and I (sorry no pics, search my name if you must to see) are supposedly flying to the Dominican on Wednesday for a week. Does anyone know the legality of carrying a decent knife there check on? I know its ridiculous to think, but i would rather be prepared than not. I have packed a water purifier and first aid kit, but i am not used to being somewhere without a weapon. If we were to request a change on our trip it would be a $1k cost to change if they do not "recognize" the threat. Thanks in advance..... for those of you saying i should not go, I agree.....
Yea, you might want to cancel or postpone your travel plans.
No kidding.

What about the posted maps at NOAA would make anyone think flying to a hurricane is a good move? Add to that, flying to a hurricane in a 3rd world country.

Yeah....no.

sbarker: Its damn near impossible for anyone at this point to not recognize the threat to the DR. I'd start getting that squared away.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 9:22:14 PM EDT
[#4]
After the scare last year I was planning on putting up hurricane shutters.  Never did.  Hit Lowe's this morning picked up enough to cover the full size windows (didn't do the small bathroom style windows).  Swung by Lowe's a few hours later and they were completely sold out.

Got the shutter brackets installed and ready for the panels later this week.  I am really hoping Cuba eats this one.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 9:28:17 PM EDT
[#5]
that plane is not taking off
because it probably cant land
youll be hearing from them soon
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 9:29:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I would love to, but if not.... what is everyones input on what I should bring?
View Quote
you may want to really think about that

once on an Island no way leaving it
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 9:31:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

No kidding.

What about the posted maps at NOAA would make anyone think flying to a hurricane is a good move? Add to that, flying to a hurricane in a 3rd world country.

Yeah....no.

sbarker: Its damn near impossible for anyone at this point to not recognize the threat to the DR. I'd start getting that squared away.
View Quote
I agree, however the corporations do not agree so far. I hate it as this is me and my wifes first vacation in 2 years so its hard to convince her otherwise. I will keep everyone posted of our travels.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 9:35:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 9:37:35 PM EDT
[#9]
your so getting out of this

they will call when they get the green light   its a lot of calls
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 9:39:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I agree, however the corporations do not agree so far. I hate it as this is me and my wifes first vacation in 2 years so its hard to convince her otherwise. I will keep everyone posted of our travels.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No kidding.

Yeah....no.

As for your wife, have her look at the graphic above and point out the Dominican Republic.

Whats to convince her of? They're going to get slammed.

It really sucks to have a vacation canceled or postponed, but trust me, you do not want to be caught in a Cat 4 hurricane in a 3rd world country.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 9:43:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
As for your wife, have her look at the graphic above and point out the Dominican Republic.

It really sucks to have a vacation canceled or postponed, but trust me, you do not want to be caught in a Cat 4 hurricane in a 3rd world country.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No kidding.

Yeah....no.

this

even if it will cost 1k

I would stay home
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 10:06:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Good buy
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 10:20:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Swung by Walmart and it was complete chaos, societal break down at its finest. They did have plenty of ammo, bulk packs of 22 and buckets too
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 10:24:36 PM EDT
[#14]
yeh I grabbed a bunch of 9 at Walmart
home depot was out of control at 11 today  as well  
I posted a heads up
going out at midnite to fill the cans get that done
I'm sure that's going to be fun
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 10:50:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
yeh I grabbed a bunch of 9 at Walmart
home depot was out of control at 11 today  as well  
I posted a heads up
going out at midnite to fill the cans get that done
I'm sure that's going to be fun
View Quote
a lot of pumps with bags, no one fills with rec gas though
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 11:04:15 PM EDT
[#16]
11pm Update

Link Posted: 9/4/2017 11:09:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 11:26:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Whose track is that?

It's more to the south than the national hurricane center track.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 11:30:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Whose track is that?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Whose track is that?

Take it for what it is, it's from the U.K., but looks like a NOAA map.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 12:39:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 12:51:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
She'll be less mad after she realizes y'all will probably bite it while you're there if a hurricane hits... lol

That said, I am used to having to be on standby or being called in for work. This is the first hurricane in probably 10-15 years I'll be riding out at home if it hits us, which is looking probable at this point.

What really sucks is I have two leaks in my roof that were supposed to be fixed this week. Guess I need to call them tomorrow. The GF works in a nursing home so I'm sure she'll get called in. If this thing gets truly terrible and looks like I'll take a direct hit I'm getting the fuck out to at least mid-Georgia if not Tennessee or Kentucky with family or friends. I was just up there a week ago but that would be better than hiding in a tub while the house falls apart around me.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 2:57:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Swung by Walmart and it was complete chaos, societal break down at its finest. They did have plenty of ammo, bulk packs of 22 and buckets too
View Quote
We were there yesterday also.  Even in our good natured small town in Central Florida it was a bit "interesting".  Won't venture back until this is over.  

Angus is peppered however.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 3:42:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Looks like I would have to leave Ft Walton Beach by Saturday in order to escape.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 3:48:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Barker,  hope you bought hurricane insurance for your trip, 'cause you're definitely going to want to defer or postpone that trip.  DR (and frickin' Nassau)  can be shady enough in locations in clear weather, doubt you'd want to be starring in your own episode of "Lost" trying to get out of the country after this one hits.  I just  don't see any relaxation in those plans.      
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 5:54:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Comms check
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 6:02:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Comms check
View Quote
Roger, loud and clear.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 6:03:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Copt that I am
morning from the east coast south
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 6:13:14 AM EDT
[#28]
This bitch not turning is scaring me. Turn you fucking whore! God don't enter the Gulf. 
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 6:20:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Fun..fun..fun..

Hard rain for an hour yesterday. Ground is so saturated it just runs off and looks up.
I May need a few extra pavers to raise the outdoor chest freezer up off the slab.

Chainsaw...test ran and warned up for 30 minutes,oiled and gassed.
Generator ,oil checked, new gas, cleaned out tank,and valve..test ran under load for 45-1 hour... tank has rust in it. Reason I cleaned it.
Topped off the truck  and cans. Will fill the rest today/tommorow.

We loose power...we loose sewer here as all homes are on lift stations..wire directly to the meter. No back feeding that.

Only thing I hate...since I have a wife and 11 year old girl...
I had two buckets....yet they'd still piss in the wrong one. Or shit in the camp toilet..or try to flush paper when...they can't.

All you get is " I'm sorry...it was 3am...I wasn't awake..."
Lol

Just pray it misses us..
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 6:22:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Well the euro and navy models now have it a west coast storm, get ready my friends.  Time to make arrangements for my mom in Ft. Misery so she can GTFO.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 6:27:09 AM EDT
[#31]
I think she comes in homestead? south ?  pays the toll and comes right on up the middle
hey JBT  how are you buddy
read the PR trip post  that's rough
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 6:31:18 AM EDT
[#32]
So I wake up to my family freaking out that our flight back to the US is cancelled. 

For now now we are stuck in St. Thomas, right in the middle of this bullshit. Trying desperately to get another fight out of here. 

Truly fucking scared right now. 
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 6:41:25 AM EDT
[#33]
you at the airport?
where are you trying to fly into??
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 6:45:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
you at the airport?
where are you trying to fly into??
View Quote
Our flight was to fly into Ft. Lauderdale. No we are still at Margaritaville Resort. 
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 6:49:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 6:50:16 AM EDT
[#36]
go on a resupply mission
buy what you can just in case  don't wait too long
if you get out pay it forward
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 7:03:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
go on a resupply mission
buy what you can just in case  don't wait too long
if you get out pay it forward
View Quote
Getting ready to head out. Supermarkets are already bare. Not to mention food here is insanely expensive. Two pounds of chicken was $20. A small package of bacon is $15. 
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 7:11:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I think she comes in homestead? south ?  pays the toll and comes right on up the middle
hey JBT  how are you buddy
read the PR trip post  that's rough
View Quote
Wife went to Miami yesterday to snag Abuela from PR. They're in Miami right now and are gonna get on a puddle jumper back up here to Tally. We had Abuela get on the first flight to MIA or FTL yesterday. 

Governor of Puerto Rico told folks to be ready to not have utilities for two to four months. 
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 7:16:40 AM EDT
[#39]
text " HOLY SHIT"
TO 12345
TO DONATE TO FLORIDA IRMA VICTIMS
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 7:31:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
text " HOLY SHIT"
TO 12345
TO DONATE TO FLORIDA IRMA VICTIMS
View Quote
I can use Irma Recovery funds to buy NVGs and more MREs.

Link Posted: 9/5/2017 8:04:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Damn, she got even bigger last night

Last Updated: 9/5/2017, 8:00:00 AM (Eastern Daylight Time)
Location: 16.7 N 57.7 W Movement: W at 12 mph Wind: 175 mph Pressure: 27.44 in
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 8:06:38 AM EDT
[#42]
ONE ANGRY BITCH  
ITS PRETTY BIG
IF IT COMES UP THE MIDDLE HEY DIDDLE DIDDLE
IT WONT REALLY MATER
BUT WHEREVER IT MAKES THE ACTUALY LANDFALL (ENTRY)
NOT GOOD FOR THEM
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 8:21:40 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm in Pinellas County. I can see the Gulf from the end of my sidewalk.

This one is starting to scare the crap out of me.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 8:33:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Direct link the PDF of Gov. Rick Scott's Executive Order 17-235
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 8:40:52 AM EDT
[#45]
This just came through the pipe at work.

Link Posted: 9/5/2017 9:10:23 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
This just came through the pipe at work.

http://i.imgur.com/tg1PXyf.jpg
View Quote
That's not promising
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 9:27:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Never thought I'd hope for 150 mph, but compared to 175 it looks good.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 9:47:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Got groceries and are hunkering down. When it gets closer I may start a thread in GD and try to do some live streaming. 
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 9:49:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Got groceries and are hunkering down. When it gets closer I may start a thread in GD and try to do some live streaming. 
View Quote
Prayers for you and yours
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 9:56:33 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Prayers for you and yours
View Quote
Thanks man we will need it. We got a lot of wine and liquor and food so that will help. Me and the other guys may start helping the resort workers try to get everything ready. There's a meeting in the lobby at 11am. They're going to try to have all the boats in the cove removed. 
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top